Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was the last straw?

My last straw... I couldn't weigh myself on my home scale - and it goes up to 380!! (at the docs I was 382.)

I'm thrilled to see others mentions bathroom hygiene issues! That is a major embarassing point for me. I actually bruised my hand on the rim of the toilet once!!

And airplane seatbelts!?!? I can get it fastened, but its not easy! I have to discretely lift up my stomach and let the belt slip under my fat, to where it is just on top of my legs... and its a very tight squeeze still.

Clothing... for the past year I have sufferend and only had 2 pairs of pants, and 3 shirts that fit me. Thank goodness I'm a nurse, so I get to wear scrubs to work everyday, but still. Even my work uniforms are getting tight. I refuse to buy them in a bigger size... if I could even find a bigger size!!

AND, I can't even count the number of times I have stayed home rather than go out with friends for a night out on the town... so self conscious about my fat...

Ahh, I get banded on Friday... AMEN!

I've been overweight all of my life and have tried every diet I think! Don't get me wrong, I've been successful on some, but the weight always comes back with some more! I've always been active despite my weight, but lately I've been so exhausted! I sleep the weekend away, and don't have the energy to clean my house the way I'd really like to scrub and clean. I have PCOS and have been diagnosed Pre-Diabetic and am taking Metformin. I don't think it's a last straw for me to want to get banded (I'm just starting the process. Thank God this group is here!!!) I feel like this is an answer to my prayers for so many years. I'd thought about GB surgery, but it always scared the heck out of me! When I heard about the Lap Band, I realized it's not as dangerous but is an awesome tool to help me be the me I want to be. I'm 32 and haven't been able to conceive and would like to be able to have a baby as well as be a healthy mama.

Basically I want to be healthy and I'm tired of feeling trapped inside what feels like a ticking bomb called my body that's just waiting to explode with disastrous health problems. I hate feeling helpless and like I'm just waiting to die.

Purplegirl, I'm so happy for you. I went through all that but add 15 years (I'm 31 now). Oh to have had the lapband at 16! I would not have ruined my body and health the way I have. Your life will be so much better now. You won't lose your 20s like I did.

Purplegirl, I'm so happy for you. I went through all that but add 15 years (I'm 31 now). Oh to have had the lapband at 16! I would not have ruined my body and health the way I have. Your life will be so much better now. You won't lose your 20s like I did.

haha thanks, did you just get banded?

* Finding myself napping all weekend instead of doing ANYTHING

* Being diagnosed in February with Obstructive sleep Apnea and welcoming a CPAP into my bed....YUCK

* Listening to my Mom and my doctors (GP and GYNO) bitch at me

* Listening to my doctor threaten me with the potential for diabetes soon if I don't do something now

* Turning 55 and realizing that I am no longer "invincible" (you know...the old "I'm young and I'm going to live forever" thing we go through)

* Having to upgrade my BP meds in January because they weren't working anymore

and on, and on, and on....

:clap2:

I saw this post from 2006 and it was interesting so I thought I would ask everybody... What was your last straw?

I have a ton of them but really I would say...

feeling 55 when I am really 35

not being able to care for my toddler as I should

having to be a contortionist to freakin wipe myself

not being able to go on a trip with my family for fear of not fitting in the airline seat

dressing like a homeless person and feeling dirty all the time

so what did it for you?

i too must agree with the wiping. i was in denial even then. i was wondering why it was hard to do "suddenly" and then i put 2 + 2 together. but the last straw was a simple comment someone made. she was delivering the paper to my house and i was walking down the steps to meet her on the pathway. while stepping down i said, ouch, my knee hurts. she said, "you know why dont you?"(smiling). i said, why? i just thought she was going to joke that i'm getting old, older although i'm only 35 but ha ha, you know. she says, its all that weight thats on you:eek:. i played it off and gave a little chuckle but i was horrified and hurt!! i really dont think she meant it in a mean why, just factual but still it hurt. at that point my eyes opened and i said to myself, enough is enough and what she said is true. i was going to join another weight loss program but then i thought, why not find out more info about wls and i did and i'm happy i did!!:clap2:

I knew I had to do something when we went to a friend's wedding, I weighed 230 and 5'2, my hubby is 6'2 and weighs 150.

He loves to dance, and I use to. We haven't even been married a full year.

So he asks me to dance and I find myself saying no. I didn't want to be the fat chick dancing w/ her poor, handsome hubby who obviously got a raw deal in the wife-department. I know I want kids some day, but didn't want to get even fatter cause then it would be even worse.

So I turn my husband down and push a tiny maybe 100 lb woman in his face (single friend) and tell them to hit the dance floor and I went and got another slice of cake to console myself.

At the bottom of the plate, while thinking how good they looked together I and mourning that I didn't look that good with him I realized I had a serious problem. I wasn't living my life, I was asking for stand ins so I didn't have to ruin everyone's view.

I work for a university and always laugh at how my being at the gym makes all of the skinny college girls work out that much harder cause they don't want to turn into me. I shouldn't be the Cinderella girl after midnight. I should be the Cinderella girl at the ball.

Awe Stephanie, that really touched my heart.

You are Cinderella to be true. Good thing that man of yours sees it better than you do! But soon enough she'll be looking back at you from the mirror.

Amazing job so far! Minus 30 in 3 months is great!

My moment came when flying as I do in my business about once a month. Having to borrow a seat belt extender for a long time, and being miserable on flights over two hours. One trip, I asked for one, and the flight attendant, (American Airlines) said, "Gee, next time you might just have to buy two seats". At that moment i could have punched her lights out for saying it, however if I could find her now, I would give her a big kiss for pushing me over the line.

Life is so good now!

2 years, 3 months post op.

At my three times adjusted personal goal!

430 starting weight with a 54 BMI, Now at

210, A BMI of 23, and feeling great!

I went down to visit my mom this past March - she was having surgery for a pancreatic cyst. The surgery went great, but 2 days after (still in the hospital) she had a heart attack, which she survived, then three days later had a stroke, which she also survived but left part of her face paralyzed. She's been overweigh her entire life, and has diabetes, hypertension, and congestive heart failure. She's 77, and I suddenly saw myself in the same condition in 27 years, and decided I didn't want to go that route.

Julie, thank you! And thanks for deciphering some of my post, I was just re-reading it, I took a few little erratic jaunts from the main story, but the full point you were able to grasp, lol!

These are heart wrenching and warming stories.

Purplegirl - I went on a fasting diet when i was 16 and got down to a "normal" size, but that started the yo yo dieting that defined my life. At 57 i think it is remarkable that you have faced the monster and are getting a grip on it now. When I was 16 they didn't have WLS, it was WW or the egg and grapefruit diet. Obviously, all the diets in the world don't work as well as a band. My hat is off to you and I wish you well on your journey. Being active and happy is the best way to conquer the weight issue. No one understands who doesn't have this problem. Good for you! Let us know how your journey goes.

I have a million last straws but one was going back to my old job after being home with the kids for 10 years and having to face everyone with the much larger me. I looked like I sat and ate 10 years away.

I also had so many activities with the family that I just sat on the sidelines because I did not have the energy to participate......so many events that I did not want to attend because of my weight.

I actually went to the first WLS info session, left thinking I could do it on my own.....gained a few more lbs and decided I needed help! So far surgery is the best thing I could have done! I am so happy to finally be in control!