Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High blood pressure gone immediately after surgery

I was wondering if this happened to anyone else. My normally high blood pressure has been low normal since coming out of surgery...(was 150/94 now 109/69) i know drs are pleased, immediately took me off medication. I just find it weird that just the surgery caused to drop so much. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled but it just happened so quickly. I was just sleeved Friday so it's recent, but my heart rate was also low..ranged anywhere from 48-55. But again they said that's ok.

Anyone else experience this?

@@Wannabeskinnie ... I think we get so used to things being wrong that when something is RIGHT, especially if it comes so easily, we are suspicious of it. LOL.. enjoy all your new health girl.. best wishes!

I (stupidly) stopped taking my HBP meds out of fear of pills during the healing, and because it was smack dab in the middle of normal during my hospital stay. Thank you, morphine!

By two weeks post-op, mine crept back up to 144/95.

At 6 weeks out, it was still 132/something. I started back on the same meds, but at half the dose.

Medicated, it's hanging out right around 100/75. Tomorrow, I will be 2 months post-op. I still have a long journey ahead, so I'm still hopeful (and fully expecting) to kick these meds completely.

Before I gained a lot of weight, my normal BP was in the 106/68 range. As I gained, my BP crept up to 138/96. I wasn't on meds, but headed in that direction. After surgery, it didn't immediately come down. Even 8 months out at goal weight it was still around 124/78. Finally, at 15 months postop and 6 months at normal BMI my BP what it was before I gained weight.... 103/68 last doctors visit.

Edited by Kindle

Actually my BP has gone up due to the surgery and the IV fluids - highs of 180's. Hoping once my body settles it will go back to normal ... Which was about 140 un medicated and 120 with my BP medication.

Our bodies do some crazy things after surgery. I've never had Blood sugar issues but while in the hospital it sky rocketed to the point I was being checked every 2 hours and given insulin. It all went away the day I left. Weird.

Mine went up for about three days after surgery, then after that fell right into the normal range. Prior to surgery my blood pressure had been very high and hard to control even with lots of meds. My surgeon told me it is common for people with high blood pressure to have it resolve within a week of surgery and be able to go off meds completely. I did and never looked back!

My doctor stopped my BP meds after surgery. He said I wouldn't need it anymore. I am 2 weeks out and no problems with it at all!

@@Wannabeskinnie - Everybody's body will behave a bit differently following surgery. My surgeon stopped my diabetes medication and high blood pressure medicine immediately after surgery. I'm 4 months out and no longer need the diabetes medication. My current A1C is 5.7 which is well-controlled :) . At my annual physical last month, my PCP did not feel like I needed to continue taking my HBP meds, even with diastolic dysfunction, but was okay with me restarting Lasix 3-4 days/weeks for edema. Most of the pills I take each day now are OTC supplements as directed by my surgeon and PCP.

Enjoy your new tummy and the benefits of becoming healthier as your weight decreases! :)

My blood pressure has normal since the day of surgery.