Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to survive

Meet my Nut yesterday and he has started me on liver reduction diet. Here is some of my major problems. 1. I'm a snacker and I like to eat chips, fruit and candy. 2. I'm a sandwich eater. 3. Huge diet soda drinker. How can I survive? Ever since I met with my nut I have read and re-read this diet he wants me to work on. So if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears

The best advice I can give you is to take it one day at a time. Shrinking your liver is very very important to a successful outcome. If they get in there and cannot get past your liver 1 of 2 things will happen. They will either execute an open bypass surgery or they can cancel it.

Not to be mean but the reality is you have to stop the 3 things you mention above anyway to be successful. Carbonation of any kind post surgery can and will stretch your pouch. C02 is the same gas they use to expand your abdominal cavity to do the surgery. It is best to stop that now, you have enough to worry about post surgery.

Sandwiches go away too because of the bread, you will find other ways to get your sandwich in. Things like using vegetables instead of bread, like lettuce.

Lastly snacking on chips/crackers will undo your progress. You will find the ability to snack but it will be Protein based.

If you are truly ready to go through weight loss surgery, you will have to make lifestyle changes that your nut is asking you to make. It is in your best interest.

The good news is after surgery, you will not be as hungry and that will give you time to get used to eating right.

You crave what you eat, so if you eat Protein and vegetables you will crave it. If you eat a lot of carbs you will crave them. Carbs move through your system faster making you hungrier. Proteins keep you satisfied longer.

I know you can do this if you are committed to getting healthier.

Good luck!

I am 5 days post op, and honestly don't know if I have ever felt better in my life! I have such a positive attitude about the changes I have chosen to make. During the pre op diet, I Protein shakes became my best friend. I had 3-4 a day.

You just have to make up your mind that you will be successful, and you will be able to do it. There is a reason we need this procedure, and many bad habits are probably behind a lot of it. I was also a diet coke lover, and had tried to cut back before, but when I completely have them up during pre op, I had a terrible caffeine headache for half a day, and then was fine. As for carbs, I know what they do to my body, and how they make me feel, so I don't touch them.

You can do this, and will be proud of yourself for sticking with it. Best of luck to you!!

Of course you crave that stuff. We all did but it did nothing for us. Your going t o have to make up your mind to stay away from it. Prep op prep is so important for surgery

I agree with the comments above. Part of this is withdrawal. You will get past it and it will get better.