Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie Here - Hello!

Hi Fran, wishing you an uncomplicated and speedy recovery. I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

GOOD LUCK today mama. U have been in my thoughts n prayers. Hope ur surgery went well!!!!!

Welcome. Just curious if you're having the full DS or the SADI.

I'd say it took close to a month till I was able to function. I was just exhausted. Took about 6 mos. till I felt about half my energy back & then at 9 mos. I felt like myself.

Hello all! I've been lurking and reading for a couple months and now that I have my insurance approval, and have my date scheduled I guess it is time to get active here! I will be having a DS on April 1st, yep April Fool's Day at Orlando Regional Medical Center. My surgeon is Dr. Muhammad A. Jawad of the Bariatric & Laparoscopy Center. I am so excited to start this journey and scared to death at the same time. I'm a mom of two wonderful children (6 y/o girl and 2 y/o boy), they are my most important motivation for having this surgery. I want nothing more than to live a long, healthy life and be there for them as they grow up!

A quick question for all you pro's out there. How long did it take you to get up and moving around normally (maybe not completely painfree but really able to function)? I understand everyone heals differently but I imagine there is a median time-frame.

Thanks, looking foward to chatting with others the closer I get!

Best,

Michelle

Well I had the full on 4/21. Right now I feel like I have been run over by a semi. My stomach hasn't calmed down. I am having these intense back spasms, which could be caused by Vitamin deficiency. I start the Vitamins as soon as they come in.

I find it hard to feel this way since I wasn't a sickly overweight person, nor did I have aches and pains. I told my partner that being overweight never hurt this bad. I just keep telling myself that it is worth it in the end.

I had the full DS on 4/21. I am really feeling down and my stomach doesn't stop aching. I am having these weird intense muscle spasms in my back, which could be caused by Vitamin deficiency. I start those as soon as they get delivered.

I joked with my partner that being overweight never hurt this bad. I will just keep doing my program and this will pass.

bodyweight.png?ts=1430949290

@hikergirl14

I ended up having the SADI procedure. Feeling down is so completely normal. I still have ups and downs. The spasms and the aching could be gas pains. Make sure you are walking. I try to get out and walk every night and usually take a short stroll at work as well. It really helps move things along. And you are right it will pass and will get better. Have you talked to your doc about the pain?

How is your post-op diet going?

My doctors post op diet consist of two weeks full liquids, two weeks pureed, two weeks soft and then normal diet. My plan was a little different because I couldn't eat or drink anything for 5 days post op due to complications and lack of swelling in the digestive track, so I only had to do full liquids for one week. I walk at every day at my lunch break. Yesterday I didn't experience any pain, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. luckily i was given muscle relaxants.

Hi! I also had my surgery on April fools day! I'm 16 pounds down! Think I might have hit a stall but I'm staying positive. I was released the same day I had surgery. I guess it all depends on how you recover. No pain for me just a bit uncomfortable from the gas. The nurses has me up and walking about an hour after surgery. Good luck to you and all the April sleepers!

@hikergirl14 Fingers crossed with you! Your post op was similar to mine. 3 days Clear Liquids, days 4-14 full liquids then 14- 30 soft foods. Yay for muscle relaxants! I'm glad you're getting relief. All the hormones and changes are stressfull enough withou having other stuff to deal with.

@SaraM8705 I've been at a stall for a littl over 2 weeks now, but the scale is finally moving again. I've really pushed to get my Protein and Water in the past couple days and I think it is paying off. With the DS and the SADI/SIPS you usually are in the hospital for about 3 days since there is a bit more rerouting going on. Which was okay with me, because I had plenty of help if I needed it and a great nursing assistant that kicked my butt out of bed and made sure I walked every 2 hours. :P Of course you don't get any sleep in a hospital but the staff I had was absolutely amazing. I think I had better care on the bariatric unit than I did for either my two C-sections!

The full! I'm not surprised you feel as if hit by a Mack Truck. That's a ton of anesthesia and a ton of work done inside. It takes a while. Interesting about the muscle spasms. I didn't have those; but did have very swollen feet. Had to keep them on a pillow as I recall.

Glad to hear you're trying to realize it's temporary. That's hard when it's happening to you. I had buyer's remorse quite early on as I felt like garbage & wondered what I'd done to myself.

Hikergirl14 said

I had the full DS on 4/21. I am really feeling down and my stomach doesn't stop aching. I am having these weird intense muscle spasms in my back, which could be caused by Vitamin deficiency. I start those as soon as they get delivered.

I joked with my partner that being overweight never hurt this bad. I will just keep doing my program and this will pass.

bodyweight.png?ts=1430949290

Edited by Postop

Hi! I also had my surgery on April fools day! I'm 16 pounds down! Think I might have hit a stall but I'm staying positive. I was released the same day I had surgery. I guess it all depends on how you recover. No pain for me just a bit uncomfortable from the gas. The nurses has me up and walking about an hour after surgery. Good luck to you and all the April sleepers!

Unfortunately, I had an undiagnosed clotting disorder so it took 5 blood and 3 plasma transfusions to keep me alive. The surgery went great. That dang Lovenox did me in. The hardest part was that I couldn't have Water or food from 5 days post op + 2 days pre op. Other than that it went fine. The sleeve is a little less complicated, so I am glad you were able to get out so soon. My doctor makes you stay at least one night with the sleeve.