Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want that pattern for the hat!!!

I love mine and I haven't even got it yet. But it is on it's way to a very happy home. Thanks Teresa, your such a sweetie.

Marie! I had bought a sweater BEFORE I got my hat and THEY match, TOO! Isn't that cool? Becky-you rock! I am stylin' Someone actually said, "What a cute SET" the other day. ;')

Teresa, did you realize how versatile your hat is, with that brim? Too much fun! I think I'm going to start wearing hats all the time - just like Princess Diana did. (Now if I could just get her body! LOL)

Yeah, that is one reason I like that pattern. The brim does make it very versatile. It can be an ear warmer or just look nice. I made a bit of a boo-boo today. I worked at the b&b today (Roberta- the owner is the real crafty person and taught me how to make the hats) and noticed the most beautiful yarn garment today in her room (where I do the ironing, etc) I was looking at it and touching it trying to figure out what it was and Roberta comes in and is just appalled... Ends up it is a shawl she made me for Christmas to match the knitted hat she made me last year!!! It was just sitting out and she KNEW I was up there ironing. She just thought I wouldn't notice it. Of course I always love to look at her newest creations. I don't know what she was thinking. Oh-well... She wasn't mad about it but it was hilarious. I won't take it until Christmas but I can't wait to try it with my hat. The hat she made me reminds me of the russian type of hats. They are the most beautiful dark blues. I'll have to take a pic of the set when I get it at Christmas....LOL.. I wish I knew how to knit. She said she would give me lessons after the holiday. Anyway thought it was kind of funny. She really is the sweetest/ most giving person to work for. I was married at their place, she had my graduation party for me, etc. They are more like a second set of parents to me. Best wishes, Teresa

Teresa, that is so sweet! I'm glad you work for such a thoughtful person. Sounds like you two make a good team! At least you know you got one Christmas present you'll like!

Hey all! It is nice to see a thread about crocheting here! I also crochet and knit! It really does help with passing the time where you might want to be munching. I crochet/knit while I watch TV in the evening and also have a knitting group I meet up with every other week. It is definitely therapy.

I am still holding off on knitting a sweater with lovely expensive yarns until I get closer to goal. I don't want to go through all the expense and time only to end up with a droopy big sweater by the time I am finished!

I am furiously trying to quickly crochet a big afghan for a christmas present next week. I started it late and I try and get some done every night. I have been extremely tight the past few nights after a new fill last week and it has helped me keep my mind off wanting food while I stitch!

Anyway...just wanted to jump in here!

Patty

8/13/02

Dr Kuri

Patty, if you already are lucky enough to know how to crochet, you really need to make one of these hats! At least their size won't change as drastically as clothing will. They are so soft and cuddly! They're perfect for jazzing up these blah, cold winter days. I just can't say enough good things about Theresa and Becky's talent.

Hi Marie! it is a cute hate! I saw the pattern. I am not much of a hat wearer myself. I am indoors all day(work from home) and only wear a hat if we go up to Lake Tahoe in the winter or camping. I do crochet baby hats for charity..this one may be a good cancer hat too!

I love making scarves..so whoever makes the hats..I can make matching scarves and we have a business!

My next projects are knitted teddy bears and toys. I just got two new books and I am anxious to try them out! So cute!

Patty

I crochetted hats for all my daughters, grandaughter, two of my friends in TN and two of my friends daughter in laws for christmas along with doing a scarf for each othem as well. SO easy and quick. I am now crochetting myself a hat, actually the hat is done, I am now doing the scarf to match.

I used to make vests years ago and also made a doll, teddy bears, doll clothes for the large dolls (3 feet dolls). I crochetted like mad then. Used to sell the stuff I made too. Was very lucrative for awhile. Then the kids started needing me more. Darn kids!!! LOL!!

Yeah..I did knitted scarves for my sister in laws for christmas and this afghan was a last minute thought I had for a friend. I also crochet up 40 baby hats for a local hospital!

I spend more time knitting these days though..I can buy the expensive yarns and they go further when knitted. Such an expensive addiction! The Debbie Bliss sweater I want to knit for myself would require about $90 of yarn that I want to use in either her cotton/angora or cotton/silk blend...yummy stuff..but pricey!

Patty

My mom's birthday is 3 days before Christmas so I called my friends mom who weaves and bought a scarf from her. She has the neatest looms and raises Angora bunnies which she brushes and weaves the fur into the most luxurious yarns. AHHH, so soft and heavenly. I think the scarf I got my mom is silk though. Pricey little suckers though... I can't blame her for the cost though since I know they take her awhile. Have a good holiday everybody, Teresa

The angora sounds yummy! I tend not to knit too much for other people if they ask to pay me even because they do not appreciate the time and expense that can go into this..I finally took a couple of close friends to a yarn shop where the balls can be about $10 each. I told them to pick out their balls and I will make them scarves..When they spent $25 for two balls of fancy yarn..they now appreciate the costs more..my time is another story. When people can go to the stores and get "hand knit" ie. machine made scarves, ponchos and hats for dirt cheap..they expect that our product should be similarly priced. We wind up working for less then minimum wage when we make the items at prices people are willing to pay..oh well.. off my soapbox! I keep my gifts limited to a few who appreciate them..mostly I knit for myself and charity!

Patty

That is neat you knit for charity. My church does a home-made scarf/hat drive and I kept hoping to get something made for it. I can totally relate about the time/cost issue. I made a bunch of hats for people on the forum but pretty much just asked for the cost of the yarn and shipping. Eugene is full of organic home-made hippy type people so our saturday market and holiday market crowd do really well on selling their home-made gifts. I know I prefer things home-made myself and ussually have to pay a pretty penny for it. Its nice to have friends to make you things as gifts too though. I work for a lady who is very multi-talented and she frequently makes me something really nifty. Last year it was an adorable little russian looking hat and this year it is a matching cloak. Yarn definitely can get costly. I am hoping to learn how to knit after the holidays. Teresa

That angora scarf sounds lovely. I used to spin yarn and my favorite was alpaca. It's soft.

I used to crochet and sew all kinds of things to give away and to sell at bazaars when my kids were little. I also hope to learn to do some more advanced knitting soon. I bought a book that will help. I know how to knit a little, but have never practiced enough to get good at it. I was also hoping to join a small group and learn more from that. I like picking up this hobby again.

Alpaca sounds lovely too! They are the cutest little creatures as well. I would love to own one someday. Good luck to both of us learning the art of knitting. Teresa