Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:help::cry:cryhey well i don't know what else to do. i was banded april 25 and my life has been a complete nightmare since. the night after my surgery i find out my grandma was found on her floor at home for 24hrs and so begins my complete despair. my grandma was hospitalized and i intensive care for about 2 weeks almosy simutaniously my dad was hospitalized wow took me down hill. he was in hospital (he has never been in a hospital his whole life barely ever got sick) he had been sick for about 3 weeks we thought it was an awful virus. they found blood clots in his leg he had been in alot of pain and the pain would move from one area of the leg to another.so we were happy to hear that it was very treatable just an increase in the cumin or if that didn't work a little filter could be put in his leg.umm about almost 2 weeks ago my mom and my uncle showed up unexpectly. my mom had tears in her eyes and she was running around looking for my husband (i had not known that she had called him earlier in the day to come home) right away everything started spinning i still feel like throwing up every minute. i thought that something had happened to my dad's heart he has had a heart condition for years i thought maybe the blood clots had moved into that area. i was completly wrong the next words from my mom would change and has destroyed my life ( hun, your dad has cancer) anyways to move this along he has pancreaus cancer my mom being a nurse and also working for the cancer society (ya scary) along with long time friends in the medical feild were able to get him to see a world renowned surgeon who deals especially with this type of cancer well we found out last week that surgery was not an option yet another huge blow so he had another biopsy to see how far it has gone and what kind and how long he will need treatment. nothing else they can do cause it has gone into his liver. so this yet another horrible waiting game. now to my band, i had to be on liquids for 4 weeks i became dehydrated almost fainting when i was going to see my dad when he was in hospital. i don't know if i am done healing i its either i can't eat cause i feel so sick and nauseus and i just started purree last week and to be honest i have had that emotional eating thing ya i bought a cheescake! what i need to ask you all is what can i do to get back to the rules? is there an easy way to eat healthy without having to do much thinking? is Protein the best way to go? i am so lost what should i eat during the day? any tips? it has to be an easy no thinking menu. everyday is so up and down i am completly lost.

oh i am seeing my neuro psychologist i have a ton a family around me (ya can be overwhelming at times) and i am on medication to help deal with this so i am getting help for all that but know one knows the band more than all of you

thanks for taking the time to read my nightmare

thanks everyone for your support

missyr

Missy, I cannot help you with your questions on what to eat as I haven't been banded yet. But please know that my heart aches for you; I am thinking of you and praying for you grandma and dad.

Hugs, Edith

Missy, you need to be thinking about taking care of yourself so that you can help take care of your family. You might seriously just want to stick to Protein shakes or bars, whatever's easy, so that you won't get malnourished or dehydrated during this time. There is certainly no downside to delaying your start with solid food, and if you don't have time to devote to chewing and eating carefully you might really want to just wait until things settle down.

Take care of yourself!! Remember to drink, and don't worry about eating. Protein Shakes and bars have plenty to sustain you. Good luck with everything and don't forget to sleep!!

I am sorry for all the trouble you are dealing with right now. Probably the easiest diet to have without having to think about things would be something like Optifast. It is gross but you just have to drink the shakes at every meal, thoughtless process. Or call your doctor and see what he/she recommends. Get yourself one of those big 64ox Water bottles that has a sipper top on it and fill it and take it with you. Make sure you are drinking the whole thing daily.

Missy,

I'm so sorry about your Dad.

If I were you, I probably wouldn't focus on food right now at all -- just on your family. I would probably eat healthy food choices, but things that aren't necessarily perfect bandster choices (meaning softer foods than normal). I'd eat a lot of yogurt, low-fat Starbucks lattes, Protein shakes, low-fat cheese -- softer things that aren't super high in calories but that go down easily. You are under too much stress right now to fight with throwing up. You need to take care of your band so that it can be of use to you later, when you have the 100% you need to devote to this journey. In the interim, eat things that are known to be easy, but --caution-- don't let that be an excuse to eat empty calories on a daily basis (ice cream and the like).

Good luck and maybe put a ticker in your calendar for 3 months from now so you can check back in and see if your life has settled to a point where you can make some adjustments to a more traditional bandster diet.

Missy.... I agree with Alex. Protein shakes and bars will be the easiest, least thought inducing diet. It's good nutrition on a short term basis.

I am so sorry for all that you are going through!

Missy, so sorry to hear about your situation. I agree on Protein bars and shakes. Try Designer whey Protein mix. You can get it at GNC. And do a search for Protein shake recipes. shakes don't have to be grody.

Also, if you think you might get stuck at the hospital and you can't eat Protein Bars yet (since you're newly banded), take some of those individual applesauce containers with you. Or some pudding cups that don't have to be refrigerated (they even sell high-protein pudding at GNC and the like).

Hey, and that cheesecake is okay now and then! You haven't had a fill yet and it's very soft and mushy.

Hope you're feeling better soon. Best wishes to your family.

hi everyone thanks for you support i have upped my protien actually that all i am putting in me oh and Water just sipping. i have been in pain under my ribs and in my side feels like bulge or something and it hurts a bit whenever something goes down i am so confused i mean really how much can i handle and the last thing i don't want is my mom to find out i am having problems. my surgeon called today and is meeting me at emerg tomorrow morning at 8am he is going to check me out and send me for a barium swallow x-ray. i am scared as i know what i have been experiencing since my surgery is not normal compared to just about everyone else. i am so frustrated and very nervous and hope i am ok i don't need to stress myself and my family at this time NOT GOOD my dad needs everyone strong and and all the focus needs to be on only him thanks again for all your help

You and your entire family are in my prayers tonight.

Please keep us posted!

As far as your band. I agree with everyone else especially JulieNYC. I'm not a big advocate for the necessity of Protein supplements replacing good food choices over the long haul but during this time of stress and healing it may be the quickest and healthiest choice for you.

My list would include:

Liquids:

Grape Frost Isopure from GNC (add some Crystal Light Lemonade if the flavor is too bland)

SlimFast Low Carb drinks 20+grams Protein, 2 g Carbs (after you deduct fiber), 190 calories plus approx 30% of many daily Vitamins & minerals. Hate the brand name but it's about the best Protein Drink I've found for nutrition.

Mushies

Protein puddings - either buy them premade from places like GNC or make them yourself by adding protein powders to sugar free pudding made with Skim Milk. (though making them does take more time it gives you much more flavor options including cheesecake)

yogurt (with or without stirring in some protein powders)

Nacho cheese Soup

Protein Snacks

String cheese (I like dipping them in yogurt)

Microwave some Hormel Turkey Pepperoni until crisp for a high protein alternative to potato chips but watch the sodium.

for a healthier emotional eating option freeze the protein pudding until nearly frozen, stir and eat like soft ice cream. You can also take the edge off that fake chocolate taste buy stirring in a spoonfull of Peanut Butter.

Missy,

I am so sorry. My heart is breaking for you and your family right now. You are fine on liquids, don't even worry about it. When you are stressed sometimes that band tightens up and it will be difficult to get anything else down anyway.

I know you are worried about your surgery, but I am having a similar issue. I feel bulgey on the left side and it hurts me too. I've had trouble getting things down as well. I met with my surgeon who told me all is well I'm just healing a little slowly. Given your ordeal I am sure it is the same with you. When you are stressed, your body does not heal as quickly.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. You are going to get through this and you are going to be okay.

Please keep us updated.

Missy, it sounds like you are really wrapped up in this stuff. Try and focus on your health and well being. You can always be there for your family, but after bariatric surgery you should come first. Good luck.

hi everyone just wanted to update you. my surgeon met me at emerg this morning he was waiting for me. he wanted to check to make sure all of the Fluid was taken out. none there, and strange he drew out air? he said that could be contributing. he immediatly put me on iv fluids i am completly dehydrated this was a big concern for him. so i was on it for 3hrs a whole bag. i also had blood work done and everything is fine there. he sent me for a barium swallow x-ray and he was right there with the radiologist the awesome news is there is nothing wrong my band it is perfect,no probs with anything else. i was so happy and i don't need to worry about that anymore. the awful pain i have been having is muscle spasams around my stomache area due to high stress which makes perfect sense giving my situation he said its just like when chrons patients deal with high stress and people with bowel syndromes they all have the same thing happen in most cases so he is calling me tomorrow to check on me and maybe i will discuss a need for some meds to decrease the pain. so no suprise i am back on fluids for a while and i have to go back to the sip sip. he has also been a bit concerend with my rapid weightloss in just 5 weeks 20lbs. and i was only on Optifast pre-op for 1 week so that is quite a bit. my surgeon is the best i had no waiting hassell in the hospital he was on top of everthing and checking on me frequently. if it wasn't for the 3hrs on iv i would have been in and out of there in no time! he is so awesome and caring about his patients. you have all been so supportive and i have written out all of your suggestions its a good start. i don't think the spasams will stop anytime soon as i have just found out my dad is in stage four of his pancreatic cancer ( ughh can't even say that c word) he will be seeing the best onocolgists that especially deal with this type and a supportive team all at the cancer centre so he has to do more tests to find out his best options of chemo treatment i am such a mess i don't know how i am going to see him go through all of this crap my dad is a large man tall and broad he has been in shape he has already lost so much weight i don't know what to do yet just glad my band is perfect but really really tired and malnurished from the dehydration thanks for so much support and caring guys your the best!

Missy,

Wow! Sounds like you and your family have really been through the ringer lately - I am so sorry to hear what a rough time you have been having. Best wishes for your dad and grandma.

I'm glad your band is okay and those muscle spasms can be a killer, super painful, been there, done that! Maybe your doc can give you an antispasmodic to help you out with them.

I hope things start to turn around for the better for you and your family, and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care!

go the website NeverHungry.tsfl.com this program works for every stage of what we need for gret balance and food we can handle--sorry to hear about you dad--I lost me dad to cancer of the colon that went to the liver. From the time he had surgury til he passed was a scant 3 months--the food program is easy/portble/big variety and cheap!! you may pm me for more details and how to order---it has been a god send for me-hope it is good for you