Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will insurance pay for protein drinks?

Hi all,

A friend keeps telling me that my insurance might pay for my Protein Drinks, is this true? How would this work, would I need a prescription? Also I've heard that Premier Protein will give bariatric patients 2 free cases but I can't find any info on this offer. Any ideas?

I know their was basically an insurance scam that was charging thousands of dollars to your insurance. I would contact your insurance company directly.

And I think Premier a Protein changed their ingredients making them no longer the right Protein for us anyway.

Oh wow, I had no idea premier was the wrong Protein. I haven't bought much yet but have been collecting a variety of samples to have after surgery. Can you share some good protein brands? What should I be looking for?

It must be whey Protein isolate. There are numerous brands. I am ore- op but having been researching for months and came across the information on the change recently. Premier changed its formula in the Fall to a blend....it is useless for Bariatric patients. There are numerous brands out there. I have stocked up on samples from several different companies because I don't know what u will like post op. Unjury seems to be a popular one.

Thanks so much for the info! I'm preop too and don't want to purchase a lot since I'm not sure what I'll like after surgery. Just trying to get several options stocked up. Good to know what to look for. Good luck to you!

Sorry Crosby for me asking but why is whey Protein isolate the only protein a bypass patient can use? If a bypass person is just using a Protein Drink for a supplement for protein intake that anything would do as long as it was healthy. I'm asking you this because my Breakfast has been a Premier Protein drink for months and haven't seen anything negative about it.

Sorry Crosby for me asking but why is whey Protein isolate the only protein a bypass patient can use? If a bypass person is just using a protein drink for a supplement for protein intake that anything would do as long as it was healthy. I'm asking you this because my breakfast has been a Premier Protein drink for months and haven't seen anything negative about it.

It's an absorption issue. You don't absorb the blended recipe in premier. It must be whey protein isolate to get absorbed. Drinking it isn't going to hurt you but it doesn't provide the protein you need. Over time the lack of protein will cause problems.

I have not heard anything about Premier Protein being a problem for bypass patients. In fact it was my surgical team that recommended it for me because I do not tolerate whey Protein isolate.

I see my nutritionist tomorrow afternoon and plan to ask that question.

@@Djmohr

So you have the information for your NUT here's a pic of the main ingredients. The premier blend in question is made up of Milk Protein Concentrate, Calcium Casenate, and Whey Protein Concentrate. Good luck and let us know.

post-216665-0-51935000-1424739976_thumb.jpg

Make sure you compare the old one which was appropriate to the one that is now blended. From what I have ready some NUTS are still recommending it but do not know that it changed,

@Crosby@

I tried to find an old bottle or even the case but I couldn't. The new bottle will help a NUT decide if this is a good or bad product.

I ask my surgeon and NUT on yesterday and they both said premier shakes were fine and they highly recommended them

But the key is do they know that Premeir changed and is a concentrate now? I am hearing many NUTS saying they are fine without the updated info.

Yes, my nut also highly recommended. I know the concern was that our body's malabsorb this particular Protein. This is not true, my nut even showed me a diagram that showed where in the body Protein is absorbed. It was interesting conversation because it was interesting to see where in the body's system different nutrients are absorbed. Calcium is one of the nutrients that are malabsorbed higher by the jejunum.

Protein absorption happens below the bypass (jejunum and part of the duodenum).

I tried to find a diagram similar to hers on line to share but was not able to find one with enough detail.

Anyway the moral of the story is because of where protein is absorbed, we do not malabsorb it. Calcium on the other hand you need to pay close attention to. She told me they practically overdose you on calcium because of this issue.