Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression

I am sure there have been several threads in the past and in different locations regarding depression and our band process, but this is about me so I am starting a thread.

February has not my friend. My oldest son's birthday is the day before Valentine's and that so far has been the highlight. My husband and I actually have a very strong relationship, but it seems, without fail, that we always end of fighting on Valentine's. I think I officially hate it. I'll save my romance for a non-commercialized day, thankyouverymuch.

There have been 4 bad-food events in just these 2 and a half weeks. And I know food choice should be up to me and that it is possible to make good choices even when someone else is serving nothing but junk, but my head has been in such a bad place that I have definitely turned to old habits for coping. I am actually surprised that I haven't gained any weight, though it has fluctuated a few days.

I can't always tell the difference between stressful situation-depression and real depression. My husband is looking for a new job, I don't work and home school my oldest. We want to move (in a better neighborhood at the least, out of state if that is where work takes us). Neither of us have family in TX as we are not from here, and I guess I just don't feel like I have a lot of support right now.

Right now I am leaning toward both - situational and real. I already take a mood stabilizer and am thinking of adding back an antidepressant. But right now this is really affecting my eating. I only eat about 2 meals and a snack (sometimes 2) a day but I know I am eating too much. And eating slider foods.

Has anyone else fought depression while going through this whole banded process? I know people have. I would love to have some advice because I am feeling particularly alone at the moment. How do you stay strong when you feel like sh!t???

@Keeper...ok this is a hard one for me but here goes....I went through an ordeal right before my band. I was on 40mg of paxil, I also took 10mg of buspar (anti anxiety meds) 2x a day, and then a low grade Valium to help me sleep at night.

I would never recommend any anti depressants. I took all of these meds for over a year. I was disconnected from family and friends my husband and my kids....one night my daughter said she missed "who I used to be"...wake up call...I stopped taking everything and I thought that alone was going to kill me...I was sick, depressed and riddled with guilt for being in a "fog" for so long...I turned to food...

The problem with anti depressants is they are for short term use. And most doctors, who receive incentives for pushing these types of meds don't try to get to the bottom of someone's depression/anxiety.

Please try anything before turning to meds..

Get to the bottom of what's bothering you. Maybe some couples and individual therapy? You would be surprised how much talking to someone who listens without judgement helps.

I think depression comes and goes....without bad times would we even recognize the good? As humans we are constantly trying to be more, do better, fit in, look good ect....if we stop and look around, the majority of us are very blessed and can find good things in our life!

We all fall off the wagon...our band is a tool. Just remember what you are doing this for. To be healthy and happy! I have bad days...as I type this I reflect that I ate a snack size bag of potato chips for lunch...

How do I stay positive when I feel like sh*t? I remember that I woke up this a.m. Alive and breathing, and husband and my kids love me..and so do yours! Don't forget that!

Anyways....that's my 2 cents.....hang in there! If you need to chat feel free to message me! I don't have any family around either!

I sooo disagree with funky monkey. Anti-depressants can be life savers. Without them I would be dead.

I have been on so many antidepressants that it isn't even funny. I hit a really, really low point in my life and decided to see a psych instead of my PCP. He asked if there was any family history of mental illness and I said why yes, yes there is. My grandmother is bipolar. He basically told me that I was "uni=polar" - exhibiting only or mostly the depressive side. He then put me on a mood stabilizer and it has been very effective since. However, when I first got on this, I was also taking Wellbutrin. That was the best I had ever felt - I felt normal for the first time in a long time. But he had me taper off the wellbutrin while increasing my other med to where I am now, and have been here for several years. I, too, feel that without my med I would *not* be a well person!

Having said that, I am at a really low point. The lowest in about 5 years. I do have a counselor that I see when I can (she doesn't take insurance) and hubby and I have done couple's counseling in the past. It is one of the things I attribute our strong marriage to. I am open to doing this again if need-be, but funds are tight. If getting on Wellbutrin helps in the interim, I am all for it.

I definitely appreciate y'all's feedback!!

@@Puppypaws57

For some people they may be...if I had stayed on them I would be dead...also there is no long term research on them..

Also said that it was my 2 cents and talking to someone can be a life saver...finding out what caused or is causing your depression is key...not just medications....they are only supposed to be short term...the research of anti depressants would scare most people..

@@Keeper

I really hope they work for you...please just do your research....also I know in larger cities there offices that are low to no fee when it comes to counselors..good luck! We are all here! While we all have different views our main goal is to support eachother

@@funky_monkey800 I totally get it. In theory I hate taking meds. Partially because I did take antidepressants for so long without any of the positive side effects. I mean, they worked like a band-aid - like you said, short term. But I truly believe it is chemical for some. I just know that lashing out at my family is the worst, because I do know they love and support me.

@@funky_monkey800 thanks! It is always good to hear the other side of things; that is a type of support.

As for assistance (I live near Dallas, so def a big city), we fall in the 'make-too-much-for-assistance' and 'we-make-ends-meet-but-with-little-extra'!

@@Keeper

I understand where you are coming from. I know there are people who need it....and exactly, it's a band aid.

I just worry...docs are so quick to write a prescription....

I'm gonna tell you something my husband told me....

"Feelings are normal. And ups and downs in life are normal."

I think once you start feeling better everything will follow suit....

Good luck my fellow band sista! Keep your head up!

Keeper - I am bipolar and need my medications regardless of what other people may think.

I am a therapist, and so I speak with some bias, so take what I say as you wish. I am all for cognitive behavioral theory, humanist and holistic approaches.

I also have a food addiction. I also have a mood disorder. I also take a mood stabilizer. And I also take a low grade low dose anti-depressant. And I also would not be alive without them.

I also SEE a therapist and have for several years. Again--I advocate for holistic approaches. It is a mind/body wellness that we have to strive for.

I have seen clients that are anti meds, and I have seen clients who choose to opt for meds instead of therapy.

Clinically speaking, from my experience, it truly is a mixed bag. But for some, there is no way I could get through/make a treatment plan/address issues if they weren't compliant with their medications. For some, it opens them up to see their vulnerabilities--and without that "opening" or "lifting" of the mood through medication, therapy would be all for naught.

It's a willingness to learn about yourself, be self aware, and take notes, so to speak, of set backs and successes and when and how they came about.

To me, it doesn't matter to me how you approach the journey--just that you use the tool box available to make it not quite such a rickety ride.

✌️

Edited by Grateful_Love

Thank you for your insight and eloquent reply.

Everyone has different issues and different needs. I just happen to need my medications.

Leslie, I don't know. I'm not on Wellburtren. I had the lap band and some of my meds are in liquid form.

The only thing I would suggest is depending on the size of your pills is maybe your dr. could give you smaller pills.< /p>

For example, if you are taking XXX mgs in one large pill, maybe he could give you the same dosage except maybe you would have to take 2 or 3 pills to reach that same dosage.