Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days since the surgery

huytsao.gif Well, it took almost a year of fighting with the insurance to finally get approved so I decided to have the surgery as soon as possible (of course). It was originally scheduled for this Friday but the surgeon's office called me Monday afternoon to reschedule FOR THE NEXT DAY. Although it was a little stressful having to reschedule work and daycare, I am actually glad now because I had very little time to stress and obsess before the actual surgery.

The pain today is not so bad, I just seem to be having a problem with one of my incisions but nothing that I can't handle. My main problem seems to be the hunger pains and gas as well as the diarhea. Since I didn't have the full week to be on a clear liquid diet as recommended before the surgery to clean out my system, I feel like I am certainly dealing with that now and I have to go to the bathroom about every hour or less sometimes. I have been sipping on the Dannon light yoguret drinks and tried a little cream of mushroom Soup, strained and thinned with skim milk and I think I am handkling it ok. I guess I just am not sure how I should be feeling and what is really important in doing these first days. I'm sure once I have my followup, I'll be a little more sure of what to do but right now it's just weird. I get alot of gas pains in my chest. Is that normal? It's nothing that is really killing me, it all just feels like I haven't eaten in a week so I guess I'm just paranoid to know if what I am feeling is normal.

Any suggestions on foods or things to do during this initial time? I really want to start this off right and be positive. THis is the most important thing I've ver done in my life (short of giving birth to my daughter) and I want to be successful at it.

Otherwise, I 'm so glad to have found a forum with fellow banders for support. Any and all suggestions and advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Melissa

banded 10/19/2004

Dr. Tiesenga

Oak Park, IL

starting at 365

Melissa

Sounds like you going thru everything you should be. The pain gets less and less everyday.

The hunger pains will go away but remember since you not on solid foods yet things still have a tendency to slide down faster into the stomach and that allows your system to feel hunger pains. But this will staighten out. So will the loose BM'S. That only normal but remember babys are on liquid diets in the beginning and they sure found ways to poop (sorry lack of better term).

The gas (belching and farting) seem to hang around. But then I'm a guy so I'm not concerned about that LOL. Actually allows me to win contests at work LOL.

Only suggestions I can give is follow the diet as it is given you... Don't rush to the next level till you feel ready. And take your time with your feelings. Your reading a new you and you have to get in touch with yourself again. This does work and it works well. Just don't stray off too much.

The liquid diet before the surgery is different with each Dr. It is actually designed to shrink your liver to get it out of the way so Dr can get in there. I losat 20 pounds in the two pre op weeks on the liquids and that I was told was just a side effect. Hell give me more LOL

Seems though your doing well. Just remember the Water. Helps the flow thru the system and gets the toxins out as they break down.

Good Luck

Greg

Melissa

Congratulation!

Greg said it well about the Babys on liquid diets...I had shoulder pain for almost a week, walking seemed to help get the gas out. Do not lift anything heavy, It's time for healing. Warm teas and broths were and still are soothing for me.

Take it easy,

Beautiful pic!

Hi Melissa! Sounds like your doing great. Glad your surgery went ok and your home and recouping.

The first few days you should rest, walk, and drink water! Let me tell you, I'm a big fan of Tomato Soup with cheese, that was how i got through my first two weeks, felt pretty good and still got some Protein in. You'll probably start to feel really good, go out and do something than realize you have over exerted yourself. That's what I did...then i had to sleep for 2 days to make myself feel better!

So as long as you take care of yourself, let your body heal, drink lots of Water, and sleep whenever you want you should do great! Remember it can only get better from here! What kind of diet did your doc put you on post-op? liquids for 2 weeks then mushies for 2 weeks?

Take care, congrats, and welcome to bandland!

Melissa, it's great to have another Chicago-area bandster around -- we are way outnumbered by Texans!

I have the same question as Katie: What did your doctor tell you to eat after surgery? Liquids/2 Mushies/2 is pretty common, but varies between doctors (and their patients); there may be reasons for you to be on another schedule.

Don't worry, the gas goes away for most of us within a week. I had similar bathroom trouble, and someone here reminded me: liquids in, liquids out.

Good luck, and welcome!

Congratulations, Melissa! Sounds like you're doing all the normal newly banded stuff. Here's hoping you feel like a million really soon!!!! ;)

Welcome to Bandland, Melissa! Please take it one day at a time. It really will get better! Betty was banded on Monday, also. You're so right, this is a very important thing that you're doing for you and for your family! You're regaining your health. And there's no way to put a value on that! Are you using a heating pad? Taking your liquid tylenol as needed? Walking and drinking Water as much as possible will help you get back on your feet. P. S. My husband's open heart surgery was a 1 day notice also. A little unnerving!

Hello Melissa - I was banded on Monday, and I am still quite sore, especially in the evenings. A shower in the mornings really help me for some reason. I am the opposite of you, I am having Constipation, hopefully tomorrow will be better. My doctor has me on Clear Liquids with a Protein Drink and one cup of juice. Jello seems to help me too, along with popcicles. Each day I feel a little better. Hang in there, I am sure you will bounce back soon. We went through alot, it will take some time for the healing. Keep us posted on your progress. If I can help you please let me know.

Congrats ladies!

You might consider a product like gas x for the gas pains. I didn't take any (or even think of it) but other people here have mentioned it. There's even a liquid version apparently.

When I was banded I really felt almost 100% in just about a week. Maybe 10 days. It gets hard to remember you were just in for surgery, but you gotta be careful for about 6 weeks, no heavy lifting n' stuff like that. ;)

before you know it you will feel great!! I had my band six weeks ago and I have never felt better. I had sugerfree pops those are good cause the cold is great for your swelling, or sugerfree fugcicles. You will feel so much better everyday. Jello is great too. keep your head high!

Welcome to bandland, Melissa!! I guess there are good and bad aspects to not having a lot of time to prepare, huh?

You're getting great advice on how to handle this postop period. Take it slow and remember to be good to yourself!! I know it's hard with kids, but do try to put yourself first for a week or two. Healing is hard work and your body needs loads of rest.

Congratulations!! ;)

So glad your year-long struggle is over! That's a long time to wait. The first couple weeks after surgery are not too pleasant, but the memory fades quickly and it is all worth it in the end. Congratulations! ;)

Welcome Melissa!! Sounds like you're doing fine! Glad to have you aboard!! Be sure to browse through all the sections of this forum and soak all the info you can so you'll know what's coming next!

I wasn't put on a clear liquid diet before surgery either, in fact I ate a very nice prime rib dinner the night before. I think each individual doc has his own idea about how to proceed for the best imaginable outcome. Some are more strict than others.

I bought gas x chewables, but walked so much I didn't have gas pains. I also bought imodium chewables in case of loose BM's, but didn't have that either. I wasn't eating much, so I wasn't going much. I'm still going way less than I used to.

Betty, You can try warm apple juice for Constipation, or warm apple cider, the pectin in it helps loosen you softly. We use it for our patients at the hospital.

Thanks Pam

The problem solved itself last night and now I am just the opposite. I never thought of using those things though, but I will if it happens next time.