Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was wondering if any of you specifically asked about urinary catheters during surgery. Does anyone know if they would have a problem allowing me to to have a suprapubic catheter rather then a urethral?

I just really do not want a urethral catheter.

EDIT: All do respect, allow me to rephrase

I HAVE DECIDED I DO NOT WANT A URETHRAL CATHETER. A SUPAPUBIC ONE IS OK. HOW DO I GO ABOUT MAKING AN OFFICIAL LEGAL REQUEST FOR THIS? HOW DO I WITHDRAW MY CONSENT FROM A URETHRAL CATHETER.

If you liked your urethral cath. GOOD! I am happy for you. Please stop being dismissive of my feelings and belittling the fact that I don't want one because you liked yours.

It's really becoming upsetting.

Every time I get an update and hope to see help, I see another version of

"You're overreacting, it's fine."

Please, stop doing this.

Edited by _ItsAun_

They will normally place the Foley catheter in after you are put asleep. In my experience, unless you have a mature track; a supra-pubic catheter is a procedure that needs to be done by a doctor, not a routine procedure done by a nurse. Therefore you would need insurance approval to proceed. I used to work as an Interventional Radiology nurse, and our radiologist used to place them under fluoroscopy/imaging using sedation. Hope this helps- did you have a bad experience with catheters before?

By the way, I could be completely wrong about this because I have been out of the field for the last 3 years and you know how medical technology changes!! Lol

Oh, not with a catheter and its not that I'm assuming anything about the hospital or the nurses, I just only recently got insurance after 10 yrs of not having it and I had a TERRIBLE UTI a few yrs back that I had trouble getting rid of.

I mean, my vagina and urethra are just two places that really dedicate themselves when they get infected. LOL. I've only had 3 infections between the two, but I don't want to tempt fate in any way at all. Especially considering I've never had a catheter.

Plus, I'm also just not psychologically comfortable with the idea, though the discomfort is secondary to the other concern, paired together, this is a huge issue for me and I would seriously delay my surgery or pay more out of pocket to just have an extra hole in my abdomen.

So sorry that you got a UTI- unfortunately that is definitely a side effect for some. Did you have the catheter in a long time ? Usually the longer the cath is in, the higher the risk of infection. From what I understand, the catheter is only in a day or so. I have only had a Foley once for my C-section and I was soooooo glad I had it in for the 2 days that I had it!! I didn't even feel it ( which could have had something to do with the epidural narcotics that lasted 24 hours lol) but once I had to get up to go, it was so painful to sit up! I totally missed my catheter lol . Well, not really but it was a huge help!! I hope they can find a way to help meet your needs and wishes- if you feel strongly about it, make sure they understand it and hear your concerns!! You deserve to be taken care of !!!

Oh, thanks. :-) I have never had a catheter and I'm fine with a suprapubic catheter (one that goes through my abdomen), its the urethral catheter I won't submit to.

I totally understand! LOL. I am kind of excited about not having to move to pee, though a little weirded out there will be a bag. Hahaha. XD

I mean, like I said, I've only had three infections (none from catheters) but I am not willing to risk it.

I plan to call tomorrow and ask about it. A lot of people have said they slept most of the first day as well.

Thank you for replying. I wanted to make sure I expressed my gratitude and clarify that I just don't want anything in my urethra. Teehee

I have had a cath several times. When they do it in the OR they make sure everything is sterile. And they are so much easier that the abdomem ones.

They usually do it in the OR - sterile field and all. They took mine out the morning after my surgery, so it was only in about 24 hours... I wouldn't worry about getting an infection - I very prone to UTI. All it takes is one roll in the hay with me on top and my pee stings like crazy by the next day

:(

Ummm, so, I found in this passage in my hospitals web page

You should not be subjected to any procedure without voluntary, competent and understanding consent or that of your legally authorized representative.

But, it doesn't say where I start. I mean, I want written and signed acknowledgement of the fact that I do not give consent to this.

Does anyone know who I should contact?

And @@MamaTo3inNH - That SUCKS! Thats my favorite position! LOL.

My doctor said no Cath unless I have a problem urinating after the surgery. Let's hope not cause if rather they put it in while I'm out cold

I have had numerous UTIs over the years, some of which were very difficult to get rid of - at one time I had to go on pulse therapy where you take nitrofurantoin at bedtime every night for months.

That said, I have had urethral catheter put in at least 4 separate times (C-sections, urethral sling surgery) and not once did I ever get an infection from that.

A urethral catheter is a bit discomforting but not painful. I have never had a supra-pubic one but I would imagine that to be much more uncomfortable after the local wears off. And there is still a chance of infection going through skin.

I would think the rate of infection would be higher with the one going through the skin.

Plus, the supra pubic catheter, once removed, can leak a little, which I would think you would not want. Not inside you.

I told then I didn't want a foley and they said as long as I emptied my bladder before surgery they wouldn't place one.