Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting back on track!

Hello All,

I just rejoined this site today. I am over 6 years post surgery. I kept my weight in check for over 5 years, then I had several BIG set backs. My husband passed from a massive heart attack at the age of 53 (he was in great health, ate right and exercised) and 6 months later my dad died from bone cancer. These two losses have rocked my world, the two most important men in my life, both gone. I have gained 22 pounds in the last year and I have to get it together. I am going back to my post surgical eating plan. Now that I have that off of my chest, time to get to work!

Right there with you. Granted my stresses weren't nearly as tragic as yours [my condolences, really, I can't imagine,] I too fell off the bandwagon and gained weight back over the last year [50lbs] and am now working to get back on track. Good luck! I know you can do it :]

Edited by Lebim

Good luck to both of you! I am only 20 months out and am successfully maintaining, but I can see just how easy it would be to fall back into old habits. One tool that helps me is MyFitnessPal.com. If you haven't looked at food tracking apps, check them out. Best tool I have ever found and its free.

Thank you for the referral to MyfitnessPal. I will check it out! Congrats on your success. Keep up the good work!

Good luck to both of you! I am only 20 months out and am successfully maintaining, but I can see just how easy it would be to fall back into old habits. One tool that helps me is MyFitnessPal.com. If you haven't looked at food tracking apps, check them out. Best tool I have ever found and its free.

WOW!! My deepest sympathy for your losses. That is enough to send anyone off the track. I had my gastric bypass in April of 2013 and had been very active on this site from about 4 months pre-op and for quite awhile post op. I have since then had two FAILED back surgeries. I am unable to be very active. I am down from 350 to between 195-205 depending on the day. I really want to be at 170 so I thought Id come back on here and see how others were doing. I was at the lowest of 191 a few months ago. Gonna keep following this thread so we can encourage each other! I did order a bunch of Protein powder to try to start over with what worked in the past. This is definitely a LIFELONG struggle!

Thank you! I went to the grocery store today and did a big food prep. Washed and cut all kinds of vegetables, for steaming. Seasoned chicken breast, to grill tomorrow and purchased frozen salmon and shrimp. Made Greek yogurt and fruit parfait for Breakfast. I am going to stay away from the carbs for now and drink lots of Water. I know I can do this...I did it before. Just have to focus. I will do Protein shakes on occasion. The struggle is real!

WOW!! My deepest sympathy for your losses. That is enough to send anyone off the track. I had my gastric bypass in April of 2013 and had been very active on this site from about 4 months pre-op and for quite awhile post op. I have since then had two FAILED back surgeries. I am unable to be very active. I am down from 350 to between 195-205 depending on the day. I really want to be at 170 so I thought Id come back on here and see how others were doing. I was at the lowest of 191 a few months ago. Gonna keep following this thread so we can encourage each other! I did order a bunch of Protein Powder to try to start over with what worked in the past. This is definitely a LIFELONG struggle!

I'm new to this site but am going on 4 years post op. About a year ago my sweet tooth came back and with a vengeance! I am disgusted with myself but can't seem to stop. Anyone else have this problem and what did you do? I have gained 25 lbs back.

Edited by hoksberg

The struggle is real! When I want sweets I have started making Protein ice cream,( skim milk, Protein Powder and sugar free coffee syrup). Mix all together and process in my ice cream maker. This has been a life saver for me.

I'm new to this site but am going on 4 years post op. About a year ago my sweet tooth came back and with a vengeance! I am disgusted with myself but can't seem to stop. Anyone else have this problem and what did you do? I have gained 25 lbs back.

I am 25 mo post op and never reached my goal weight though I did lose 120 after surgery. I have gained 14 lbs this past year. I too had some family things that enticed me back to sweets, carbs, and alcohol. I got back on this site a couple of weeks ago and see I am not the only one!

Last week I read about the 5 day pouch test on this forum. I googled it and read about it. I started it last Thursday. I feel so much better! My cravings are gone and I've lost 5 lbs.

This weight thing is truly a life long struggle. Good luck to you!

I am in a similar situation. I am going to try the ideal Protein diet. It was recommended by my doctor. It is essentially a bariatric diet that is also monitored by medical staff. Surgery is truly not a magic bullet and I will struggle with my weight my whole life. At least right now I am starting from a healthy place and have a better idea of what I need to do to be successful.