Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

possible complications

I have been banded for almost 8 years and although things were great in the beginning, I have had many struggles and issues than I care to recall. I managed to get as far as 8 pounds to my goal weight and then something changed. I began to gain weight each month until I managed to put on over 30 pounds. I see my doctor regularly and have had my share of band adjustments and removal/addition of Fluid. I feel as though I am always vomiting. Recently I have been unable to eat and keep anything down. I also notice that I do not even have an appetite. I am always fatigued, I have dark circles under my eye and I often experience slight pangs near the port and one of my incision areas gets extremely itchy often. I have read a few articles about band erosion being common on those close to or approaching 12 years banded. I also get alot of throat "gurgles". I often find myself contemplating if this was all worth it. I just "don't feel good" anymore and if I should request to have it removed. I am so torn on what to do but do know that I am tired of not feeling well all the time.

Anyone else experience anything like this or have been banded for 7 or more years?

Yikes... I am just sad that this has happened to you. I am almost 6 years out. I did have a glitch mid January and had a small unfill. It took about 4 days for me to feel better and now I feel like I am in the green zone. I was having similar issues to yours in Jan. I hope this is not going to be a repeat issue for me. I did not have any port itchy feeling though. Keep us posted here as to what you do and how it is managed. I had read they do fills in some areas under floroscopy. I am wondering if they can see the area well enough to diagnose your problem? Praying for YOU!

Hi

Your post could have been written by me..!!! I'm in my 7th year, having been banded in October 2006. I did manage to get to goal, even less, but since Last May things have not been right.

I had a complete unfil in December and am currently waiting for further tests. Needless to say, I'm gaining loads of weight, but I'm still being sick most days and am now having to Take medication for the constant acid reflux.

I have the same story. I was banded in November, 2008. I have lost 34 pounds, but I have had several issues with my band. The issues include painful port area, not related to a fill; being stuck and losing lots of fill Fluid within weeks of a fill. One of the severest "being stuck" issues required me to be hospitalized overnight. It came out of the blue and I was five years with the band at that point and landed in the hospital in terrible pain.

I see my doctor on a regular basis, I monitor my food intake, and I my exercise is lots of walking. I am slated to have my band removed on June 4, 2015 and six months later will have the gastric bypass procedures done.

Wow

I am on alert. I'm going thru banded life blissfully since 2006. Some small issues but really healthy.... Makes me realize this could change.

My doc looked up my band. Said it was one that could stay forever. Really hoping it can. Very easy on my eating Trying to not stress it at all. Any advice on how not to lose a band???

Absolutely. Don't fill it to the point where you cannot eat or drink

I have had my band since 2010. I have started experiencing severe back pain when I eat. I thought the pain was related to gallbladder. I went to the doctor and he confirmed I needed gallbladder removed. He said the pain I described was gallbladder related. Nope! Back pain is still very much present. Anyone else ever experience this 10/10 pain?

This is all sounding very familiar!

I had discomfort, really bad heartburn and vomiting for over a year. The pain got so severe one day I was rushed to hospital in an ambulance, and a few hours later had my gallbladder removed. I had a few gallstones. I felt great immediately afterwards, and the heartburn which plagued my every day, was gone! However.... 2 weeks later, the previous discomfort started to return. I assumed it was just healing. After the pain spread round to my back, and i was having problems eating, I had a barium swallow, and it was clear something was wrong with the band. The camera swallow (gastroscopy) confirmed, I had quite severe band erosion. The band was visible on the inside of my stomach.

I had to have the band removed a few days later.

Prior to this all happening, I never had any problems with the band. It was an excellent tool to weight loss. I miss it!

I am considering options for revision. (Sleeve v's Bypass)