Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing weight...

Was banded in Mexico two years ago. First six months, everything went beautifully according to plan. Lost about 60 lbs. in that time.

Then everything came to a screeching halt.

In the past year, though I've had many fills and unfills, I haven't been able to eat anything but what I call slush and mush...protein shakes, watery mashed potatoes, Soups, etc. and I have gained about 20 lbs.

I'm losing it mentally though not physically.

Recently went to a doctor and, after bloodwork, was told I had PCOS, a condition which prohibits weight loss and usually causes gain. I'm on meds for that and also started eating NutriSystem Glycemic Index foods and now can get solids to stay down but still no weight loss.

Has anyone had this happen. Two years after banding and no continued weight loss? I still need to lose about 75 lbs. to get to a "normal" size.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Thats not good to hear. I am 52 and waiting to get a surgery date. You had your surgery about the same age I am going to. This worries me because I know for us "older gals" its not going to come off as easy or fast. Can you exercise? I would have thought PCOS would be found during child-bearing years only since it has to do with your ovaries.. I hope someone has some tips for you to help get you restarted.

I'm 35...must have input birthdate wrong. Now I'll try to find a way to correct that.

As for exercise, I even joined a gym and do exercise about three days a week...still no weight loss.

I am on a food system called Take Shape for Life.. the website is NeverHungry.tsfl.com It has worked for me..good variety and filling. you may e-mail me for more info..loss is about 2-3# a week--I had trouble getting the correct amount of Protein and a balance..now I just use the food products to suppliment my regular meals. Maybe this program will help you...very easy, portable, and balanced

I lost about 90 pounds then totally stopped. My fills seem like there is no fill when they put them in although I know there is Fluid in there because they have totally sucked all the fluid out and pushed it back in to see if I had a leak. I battle with these 10 pounds constantly up and down up and down my weight goes. I have to starve myself to keep the 10 off and when I eat it comes back. I still need to lose about 30 pounds on top of that so I know how you must feel. Although I have not been dealing with this as long as you have I am going nuts and sometimes just want to cry. I am not sure if I have a good solution for your problem but I can see where your coming from a little bit.

Was banded in Mexico two years ago. First six months, everything went beautifully according to plan. Lost about 60 lbs. in that time.

Then everything came to a screeching halt.

In the past year, though I've had many fills and unfills, I haven't been able to eat anything but what I call slush and mush...protein shakes, watery mashed potatoes, Soups, etc. and I have gained about 20 lbs.

I'm losing it mentally though not physically.

Recently went to a doctor and, after bloodwork, was told I had PCOS, a condition which prohibits weight loss and usually causes gain. I'm on meds for that and also started eating NutriSystem Glycemic Index foods and now can get solids to stay down but still no weight loss.

Has anyone had this happen. Two years after banding and no continued weight loss? I still need to lose about 75 lbs. to get to a "normal" size.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Hiya!

While PCOS can make it difficult to lose weight, I wouldn't go as far as to say it prohibits it. And it is usually the associated insulin resistance or diabetes that is at the root of the "can't lose weight" problem.

Women with pcos and IR have fairly high insulin and normal-ish sugars making it hard to lose, but once medication is prescribed insulin normalises and weight loss is usually much easier.

Don't give up hope! Low GI eating, lots of exercise, and medication are fantastic tools in fighting PCOS (even at a normal weight)

I have been a slow loser but seemed to get about 50 off and now it seems I am either too loose to lose or too tight and get ill and need IV's. Any of you have this issue?

Well, the average weight loss for the Band is only in the 50-65% excess weight... so you may be completely normal. There are no guarantees of 100% or even 80% weight loss with the Band or any other WLS.

If you've been able to maintain a 60 pound weight loss for two years, that is a major success even if you never lose another pound. The average person cannot do that without surgery. So... perhaps you need to rethink what success is.

For me, after about 6 months, unless I was exercising, I wouldn't lose weight... regardless of my calories or the type of food I was eating. Another thing to try.

I'm having the same problem. I lost 40 pounds quickly and just stopped. I'm eating the same things I was during the loss, but nothing is happening. I do have PBs about once or twice a week so I think my band is tight enough. I can't eat anything until about 3 p.m. and then I probably eat too much after that because I'm hungry by that time. That could be the problem. I want to lose 20 more pounds, but clearly I'm doing something wrong. I don't do aerobic exercise since I have a bad heart and a bad back. But I do isometric exercises for my back and I'm hardening up my stomach which is a mess. I just don't get it. I don't eat much, but I don't lose anything. I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

Diet (or in our case a band) alone will not lose the weight for us.

It takes a lifestyle change to get the weight off, and keep it off.

We need to exercise. Even naturally skinny people need to exercise and not eat junky food to stay healthy.

Exercise is one thing I see is sadly lacking in the LBT community. We talk a lot about what we eat, how much we eat, and when we eat it, but not so much about exercise.

Exercise is vital.

Someone above said that after 6 months diet alone wasn't shifting the weight, that they needed to exercise. That is my whole point. Diet without daily cardio exercise will only get you so far. And it is actually at that point that most people start to put weight back on.

Couldnt agree more with that - you need regular HARD exercise, it really helps with losing weight and its VITAL for maintaining. If you keep up a five or six times per week cardio schedule you wont get fat again unless you really fall off the wagon. If you can also get regular strengthwork in there, even better.

Cardio DOES tend to make you just a smaller version of yourself on its own, I'm really finding now I dont need to lose any more weight but I really need to tone and still decrease body fat, its time to face up to the free weights, much as it makes me groan.

Diet (or in our case a band) alone will not lose the weight for us.

It takes a lifestyle change to get the weight off, and keep it off.

We need to exercise. Even naturally skinny people need to exercise and not eat junky food to stay healthy.

Exercise is one thing I see is sadly lacking in the LBT community. We talk a lot about what we eat, how much we eat, and when we eat it, but not so much about exercise.

Exercise is vital.

Someone above said that after 6 months diet alone wasn't shifting the weight, that they needed to exercise. That is my whole point. Diet without daily cardio exercise will only get you so far. And it is actually at that point that most people start to put weight back on.

You are right Chickie,exercise is very important. I do it about 5 times per week because that is about all I can manage having other health issues. I am losing the weight though with exercise, no doubt. I would advocate everybody to do the amount of exercise that they can manage to the best of their ability, taking into account age,health issues, etc etc.

Susannah

I can't eat anything until about 3 p.m. and then I probably eat too much after that because I'm hungry by that time. That could be the problem. I want to lose 20 more pounds, but clearly I'm doing something wrong. I don't do aerobic exercise since I have a bad heart and a bad back. But I do isometric exercises for my back and I'm hardening up my stomach which is a mess.

You need to try and get something in sooner. I know I was usually very very tight in the morning, but I could get in a warm drink... and that would help loosen things up. I never was a fan of most Protein powders, but for some reason, I liked the sugar-free Carnation Instant Breakfast... so I would do that with hot skim milk. Made a good breakfast.. and then maybe around 10:30 or so, I'd have a bit of cottage cheese and fruit.< /p>

Sometimes the problem is that you're not eating enough... sometimes the problem is you're eating too much. Both can stall weight loss.

As for exercise, talk with your cardiologist. I spent two weeks at the Pritikin Center back in 1990 or so with a bunch of cardiac patients. Many of them had recently had heart attacks... or were scheduled for surgery due to blockages. They all were able to exercise aerobically, usually on the treadmill. They were monitored, though throughout the workout. Your cardiologist may be able to refer you to a local hospital that has a cardiac rehabilitation/exercise program where you can exercise. :rolleyes: Also, exercise will help your bad back... strengthening your abs will help as well as making sure that your hamstrings (back of thighs) are flexible enough. You may enjoy doing a gentle yoga routine... I believe Gaiam/Living Arts makes a Yoga for a Bad Back DVD/VHS. Totally designed for beginners... may help. Try Gaiam.com - Products and Ideas for Healthy, Green Living