Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

20 grams of Protein

That's what I"m supposed to be eating each meal. I only have to worry about lunch and dinner right now as I still get one eight ounce Protein shake a day. I am not allowed to snack so that leaves getting all the Protein in my meals. The problem I'm having is that I can only hold two ounces of meat at a time and I'm limited to chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, yogurt and cottage cheese. And as of yesterday, I'm supposed to be adding non-starchy veggies to each meal. How am I supposed to eat all that?! Any suggestions or ideas?

I am 3 months post op and I still drink 2 Protein Shakes a day with 30g of Protein each.

My nutritionist has cut me back to one. I think that the goal is to be able to get all 60 grams from food by the time I'm 3 months out from surgery.

That's good and all but also the importance of Protein can't be stressed enough. If your not getting enough from food, supplement

I'm 3 months after surgery and I'm still on 2 Protein Shakes 30g each and Soft foods like Greek Yogurt and cottage cheese. I try to eat chicken and fish but nothing taste very good and makes me kinda nauseous. I just went to my 3 month check up and my Dr said I need to eat more solid foods. I've lost 60 lbs and feel great but he said my weight loss will slow down if I don't add more solid food. Any suggestions

@@Mommabird, my surgeon doesn't support shakes at all, so I've been on purees since my first morning in the hospital. I have been able to get in 60g of Protein from food with no problem. At my appointment on Monday, they increased my goal to 75g of Protein. That may be because I'm working out so much and burning so many calories, but either way I've been able to meet the increased goals as well.

My most common meal is homemade chicken taco meat (my husband's is to die for) that I throw in the blender along with some salsa. I also eat a lot of scrambled eggs and egg salad. I make homemade chicken salad (sans celery for now) and throw that in the blender too. I eat a lot of Greek yogurt (Dannon Light & Fit Greek is my favorite) and a fair amount of cottage cheese (try adding 1/4tsp of vanilla and 2-3 packets of Splenda to 1/4c. of cottage cheese - it's to die for!). If I'm running short on protein, I drink a cup of fortified chocolate milk (1c skim, 3T powdered nonfat milk, 3T Hershey's sugar-free syrup) for an extra 12.5g protein.

If you're on myfitnesspal, feel free to send me a friend request to get access to my food diary for ideas. I eat a LOT of variety. One thing that I don't add, though, is how much seasoning I use. I season the heck out of everything as I like strong flavors and spicy dishes.

Hope this helps!

I am 3.5 months post op now. I regularly am able to get 80 to 85 grams of Protein in. In between meals if I get hungry I have been told to drink a cup of fat free milk. It adds to the protein, fills you up and does not add extra fat to your diet.

Believe it or not that milk will carry me to the next meal.

I too struggled with the amount of meat I can eat. I am lucky to get 2 to 3 oz. in.

Anaxilla, I've been looking at your diary (I'm RSBM77) and would love to see some of your recipes such as Amy's egg salad and imagination cheesecake!

I'm 3 months post-op myself and still get the vast majority of my Protein from shakes, as I cant' tolerate meat (and don't like it much anyhow) and the other Protein foods are ones I just don't like... like eggs, cottage cheese, milk. My NUT says your body can't tell the difference/doesn't care where the protein comes from, as long as it's there, so I guess it's shakes for me for the foreseeable future. Plus, I'm to stay between 30-50 grams of carb a day, which can make eating especially trying most of the time. What a typical day for me is, shake for Breakfast, shake for lunch, and a "reward" of a dinner that has my 30 carbs to it. We'll see how long that lasts ;P I've been doing a lot of experimenting with cooking with Protein powder & things like almond meal & coconut flour to try and recreate the "carby" foods I loved so much w/o sacrificing nutrition. Most of it's pretty good!

I miss carby foods! I get no starchy carbs until after the six month mark. It gets very hard sometimes fixing dinner for the family!

I love my Protein Shakes. I make "mocca frappes" :) coffee, chocolate Protein Powder and ice and blend. I've lost 68lbs in almost 3months, my hair is so very long and thick, unlike presurgery, and my skin is amazingly clear, again, unlike pre-surgery. There's no way I could get my Protein in without it. None. I can't eat more than a few tablespoons at a time or I'll puke. shakes are the only thing besides Soup that don't make me ill.

Ugh. I hate the Protein Shakes. My surgeon says 100 gms of Protein a day, but I'm getting more like 60-70. I'm still on liquids for another week, and I can't wait for cottage cheese, tuna, and some actual food, pureed or not. Refried Beans with cheese. Argh, I'm dying here! Good news is I've lost over 20 pounds at 8 days out. I'm sure it will slow down when I get some food in me.

post-208911-14222525325401_thumb.jpg

Wow! Can't wait to try this.

I'm telling you guy (gals ;) ) if you liked McDonald's mocca frappes, try my mixture. Adjust as needed. I use milk and sweetener in my coffee so that's what I use in my mixture. I actually look forward to them. And if you make it thicker, bam! Wendy's frosty!! My very thin friend loves them!! She always has one when she comes over. She's trying to gain weight but doesn't eat properly. I figure it will help her out too. XOXOXO to all of you!!