Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here and op's next week - scared!

Hi everyone,

I'm Annelise - I'm 25.

I am having my gastric bypass next Saturday.

I'm scared / nervous and have no idea of what to expect!

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16. I've been on a steady weight increase since I was about 18 and was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance.

I went through 4 years of going through the NHS way for gastric bypass, after my PCOS consultant said I should.

After being approved this year and funding approved at the panel my consultant left and the new one said no to surgery.

I'm now going private, as I know it's needed.

Can anyone tell me what happens in the hospital? What I'm in for??

I HATE needles and am stressing myself out now!

Any help / advice is much needed

@@annelisem I'm having my surgery this Friday and as well I'm scared don't worry God would be with you it would be alright

Most bariatric surgery today is done as minimally invasive. As a result there is less pain and quicker recovery. In my case, I specifically asked for no pain medicine after I left the recovery room and I had very little pain while in the hospital. (I may be the exception to the rule.) I believe the reason for the low pain was that I consistently walked before and after surgery. Walking really helps. I spent two days in the hospital and went home. I am 20 months post-op from RNY surgery and do not regret my decision.

Ah thanks guys!!!

Jk - I hope yours goes well!! I'll be thinking of you!

And James, how on earth did you manage without pain Meds!?

I think the thing that I'm struggling most with is that it's such an unknown!

It's really helpful to know that you wouldn't change your choice.

Thank you!

Ah thanks guys!!!

Jk - I hope yours goes well!! I'll be thinking of you!

And James, how on earth did you manage without pain Meds!?

I think the thing that I'm struggling most with is that it's such an unknown!

It's really helpful to know that you wouldn't change your choice.

Thank you!

There was very little pain for me. The nurse who administers pain medicine would come in every now and then and ask me my pain level. I told her 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. She would leave very upset. After surgery I walked every 2 hours. The nurse came to me after a while and said that I should reduce the number of laps that I was walking. Walking really helps with the recovery.

Annalisem,

It's really nothing to worry about. They give you pain meds, let them! Also, there will be pain from the gas they use in surgery. You can relieve this by walking as much as you can. It's the only way to get rid of it. They get you up to walk asap. There will be some swelling and soreness around incisions. This is normal and not that bad. I will be thinking of you and wishing you well.

Maggie0210

Hi... I've had PCOS for years & that pain is worse than the pain you'll have from gastric bypass .. The more you walk the easier the recovery. Well I'm 8 weeks post surgery. My surgery was the week of Thanksgiving (lol.. I know the one day of the year we are all trying to eat & I just want Water .. Of all things) I went in to pre op at 11:30 .. Surgery around 2pm on 11/25... Came out of recovery & in my room around 6:30-7'ish. My nurses were awesome!!! Couldn't have asked for any better nurses. It was close to 9-10 pm when I started waking up enough to want outta bed lol...I sat on the side of the bed & got use to the idea of getting up ... My nurse told me "no fast movements ... Slow & easy!"

I walked for I know about 20 minutes. At shift change I got a new nurse (I mean new & scared to death but he was awesome & funny) Fyi " no laughing", not hard any way that sh*t hurts early on. We walked off & on all night (I'm a night worker) ... I used the pain meds one time more so to sleep than anything. At 7am 11/26 my catheter was removed (thank goodness) my doctor came & checked me & I asked when I could go home & was told after I went to the bathroom for #1 & drank 4 oz of water .. If I still felt like going home he would sign off on it. Needless to say I left the hospital before 10:00 am 11/26 yes I was there just under 24 hrs start/finish. I had very little gas pain thanks to the walking. I had lost 14 lbs on my 2week liquid diet before surgery (required by my doctor of all his gastric by pass patients) since the surgery I'm down another 36 lbs for a grand total of 50 lbs ... Yes I've had my up & downs but over all I would do it again in a heartbeat it's so worth it ... Please keep us posted on how you are & know that if you have question about the surgery or progress I'm sure you'll find a lot of help here & don't be scared to call your dr for anything!! ... I'm sure you'll do great & can't wait to hear how your doing

I can honestly say that I underestimated the pain I would experience. But, i had a pain pump and very kind and responsive nurses. I am 4 weeks out today. You shouldn't look at what everyone else experienced. Just listen to your own body and act accordingly

Yup. Just go with the flow as with any research I would throw out the very best and very worst. They are not the norm. I needed pain meds but they just made me so sleepy and less aware. Everyone's tolerance is different. But you will need an IV to get these medicines and the anesthesia but that's the least of it really....

I just did a RNY a week ago I have minor pains on my outer scars but I followed my preop diet for 3 weeks to prepare my body. It is HARD but worth it I also have PCOS. We just have to work a little harder to get where we want ! Be strong !

Thank you all!

You are all so courageous!!!

I am second guessing myself every day.

I'm either so into this and giving it my all, or my mind is saying to keep going with the 800 calorie pre-op diet and try going back on the metformin again (I was getting really sick on it before).

PCOS is polycystic ovaries - it can cause your body to put on more weight as there's hormone balances and insulin problems.