Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some re-assurance

Hi everyone - I could really use some support .. I had my surgery the Monday before thanksgiving ... things have gone pretty well except of late I have really struggled to get the Protein I am supposed to consume ... plus liquids are challenging ... I used to love drinking ice Water but water tastes horrible to me ... Protein shakes also make me nauseous now ... I can sort of handle low fat cottage cheese and various Soups, crystal light lemonade, but, beyond that, I am getting really bummed.

Is it normal to get nauseous 2-3 weeks out and have a hard time getting liquids and protein? I also find it really hard to get my Vitamins down without a lot of nausea

I used Isopure Protein Water - check it out at GNC ... it was the only way I kept up with the numbers... Apple melon is my favorite flavor

This is normal.

Most of us struggled to get Protein and Water in at first. It will get better. It takes time to figure out what you can tolerate with you're new sleeve. Be patient with yourself.

Hi everyone - I could really use some support .. I had my surgery the Monday before thanksgiving ... things have gone pretty well except of late I have really struggled to get the Protein I am supposed to consume ... plus liquids are challenging ... I used to love drinking ice Water but Water tastes horrible to me ... Protein shakes also make me nauseous now ... I can sort of handle low fat cottage cheese and various Soups, crystal light lemonade, but, beyond that, I am getting really bummed.

Is it normal to get nauseous 2-3 weeks out and have a hard time getting liquids and protein? I also find it really hard to get my Vitamins down without a lot of nausea

When you're first starting out, you're going to feel pretty crummy for a few weeks. I never drank the full 64oz of Water, but I had tea (the diet Lipton citrus is pretty good), the low calorie gatorage, Propel Water, and after six weeks diet soda. For the most part liquid is liquid, so drink what makes you happy (skip the soda and caffeine though until you're a bit further out). It is completely normal to have a hard time getting Protein down at the point you are at and Vitamin difficulty is also normal. If using a straw does not give you gas pain (which is why doctors tell you not to use a straw), drink with a straw. That completely solved all of the problems related to my inability to drink enough.

To give you some perspective, I am 15 months out and yesterday I puked up the few bites I had of a Subway turkey salad- my stomach did not feel like eating Protein in the version of meat yesterday. I also had a part of a cookie the day before which was SO good since I almost never eat sweets and I got massively sick. I am completely ok with all of this because it has forced me to maintain a healthy lifestyle. It's a little like how some alcoholics benefit from a drug that makes them miserably sick if they drink. Eventually you associate the behavior you don't want with being sick and you stop doing it. Our stomach classically conditions us to not be a pig and to try to stick to our diet. My stomach is particularly picky- she doesn't like sweets or anything melty (cheese, chocolate, melty is bad). She does not like milk fat at all, half the time hates meat, refuses to tolerate protein shakes, and is completely happy to let me eat low fat wheat crackers all day, which is the only slider I can get away with so I tend to avoid crackers. My stomach is kind of a B, but she is totally fine with vegetables, some fruit, healthy wheats (like oatmeal with protein and those slider crackers), and some of the time decent meat protein. All of the things I should be eating, I can eat in very small portions, which was the entire point of the surgery. Also, Vitamins make me massively sick, so I take twice the amount in gummy vitamins and all of my blood levels are fine.

My post is kind of long, but short version- yes you're totally normal right now and you will eventually come to appreciate and work around all of it. :)

Thanks for the awesome replies .. I think the hardest part for me is the change in tastes ... I used to enjoy Isopure drinks (apple melon was really good and frost orange okay), but, now I start dry heaving thinking of the apple melon flavor and can force the orange frost down

@@gmacy

I like the recipe forum on Bariatric pal. Lots of great ideas and new foods to try. Hang in there it gets to a new normal.