Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help me get back on track....

Please help me to get back on track

I am absolutely horrified with what I have done to myself. I had surgery a little over a year ago and now I am gaining weight. It is all because of my poor choices. I know that this surgery was a tool and I have not used it properly. I am worried sick that I have stretched my sleeve (and or stretched the stoma). At this point, i can't do anything about that. But I refuse to just admit failure and give up my dream of being healthy. I spent way too much money and went through way too much hell to fail at this. Which leads me to my question: If you were in my position (basically ground zero), what steps would you take to get back on track? Go back in to pre-surgery mode and just do liquids for a couple of weeks? Come up with a very simple, no choices menu that I eat for a few weeks to just get me back on track. Any practical advice would be most appreciated.

My plan would be:

• commit to weighing myself every day
  • get or re-establish a Myfitnesspal.com account and log everything I eat, every day
  • weigh or measure everything I eat, but don't focus right now on limiting amounts. Just to be aware of exactly how much I am taking in. No guess work!
  • limit my food choices to high protein/high restriction -- basically meat, fish, and eggs -- and green vegetables. Eat that way for a week to see how I do. Good luck!

My plan would be:

• commit to weighing myself every day
  • get or re-establish a Myfitnesspal.com account and log everything I eat, every day
  • weigh or measure everything I eat, but don't focus right now on limiting amounts. Just to be aware of exactly how much I am taking in. No guess work!
  • limit my food choices to high protein/high restriction -- basically meat, fish, and eggs -- and green vegetables. Eat that way for a week to see how I do. Good luck!

Thank you. This isn't my post but this is the kind of advice I was looking for earlier on my post. All, I got was, "we can't help you". Well except for one person who was nice enough to be kind. The reminders help. I realize my actions are mine and I am the only one that can change but support from a "support" group is nice for a change.

I would have to agree with Bufflehead. Achieving and maintaining consciousness around eating is very important in my opinion. When I set up a plan, prepare to implement the plan, and remain accountable.... I have less trouble losing or staying the same, and not gaining.

At first I need to write down in Myfitnesspal what I am going to eat for the day. I make sure I have the supplies to fix those things. I stick with the plan, and if for some reason I don't, I log that in too. I weight in the morning, and also log in exercise...I try to balance my nutrients, keep the food as clean, organic and whole as possible, and I try to eat things I like. I do not want to walk away from a meal hungry. I eat more veggies if I don't get enough food. After doing this for a while I may be able to improvise more, but I try to write down what I eat every day, if not plan the whole thing up front. I personally like to include whole grains and complex carbs in my day.... I am also a vegetarian, so I have to watch the Protein and make sure I get enough (not that easy) You may have other ideas about how you want to eat... but the accountability thing is a strong tool.

Not sure how long ago you went off the tracks, but I'd do exactly what you posted. Try to do a couple of weeks of the pre/post-op liquid diet. Hopefully that will detox you from the sugar/starch cravings. If you just have to have something more substantial, I'd eat lean Protein only. And make sure you get at least 64+ oz of fluids in every day! That can help stave off the hunger. Then start fresh making the choices that you already know you should make. By the way, my understanding is that the sleeve procedure removes the stretchy part of our stomachs and leaves us with the muscle portion. As a result, it's less likely to stretch very much. Some, perhaps, but nothing like it used to. Don't let poor choices be an option. You can do this!!! Good luck!

Hi there! It's been a while since we last "spoke" but I just saw your post and thought I'd chime in.

For me I still weight myself every morning, I weigh and measure my food, I log everything and I keep carbs under 70 gms and calories under 1200. And even with that there will be days I'm up a lb.

I think the key to getting back on track for me is to quit carbs for a week and go back down to the 42 gms I eat during weight loss. Hard as heck!! But it's the ONLY thing that brings my hunger under control.

First few days of that, I make veggie and meat Soup and if I get hungry--I eat. But only meat and veggies. Three-four days of that and the hunger comes back in control. During that time I also drink liquids like a mad woman. And I prepare to gut through 3-4 days of feeling like crap.

And then I'm usually back to normal.

Until the next time I over-carb. And then the cycle is repeated. :)

I think going to only liquids is a mistake. It leaves you hungry and it's easy to fail when you're hungry.

Stick to meats and veggies, salads, no white flour rice potaotes, etc. Look in the search bar for the boot camp diet. It's back to basics and kills the carb cravings.

I agree with Daisy, Its important to try and not make this another "diet". Its for the long run, and small smart changes can steer us into a direction we can live with for the long run.