Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want Band Removed, Too.....

Wow Scout! Sounds like you had a real time of it! I am sorry you have had such a hard time.

And I agree, that whole, un processed foods are the way to go. Real food beats non fat / low carb / low sugar stuff any day in my opinion!

Wow.....came on this site and was surprised to see my name on a thread I'd started back in May regarding this subject of contemplating having my band out......I didn't even remember doing so back then! It must have been an impulse decision, that's all I can say. It was fun to read all of your responses, anyway.

As for an update, I did get the LapBand removed just a week ago. I feel great! The procedure took less than an hour and was outpatient--they even gave me my LapBand in a specimen cup as a souvenir (I think my insurance originally paid thousands of dollars for the little lovely thing, so I should probably hang it from my rear-view mirror in my car or something--ha!)

As an aside, one reason for actually going ahead and deciding to have it removed was that I was put on a new medication back in May, Topamax (to treat Migraines and epilepsy), which as a side effect causes appetite suppression....and I have lost 23 pounds since July just as an effect of being on this new medication and not having the DESIRE to eat. So, when I actually had food in front of me that I wanted to eat, I did not need the PHYSICAL barrier of the LapBand to STOP me from eating more than four bites of the said food--my poor body needed the nutrition! Also, on The Inamed web site, I came across the contraindications for the LapBand, and it stated that one of the contraindications for having the LapBand in the first place was if you or someone in your immediate family had lupus or even symptoms of lupus, that you would not be a candidate for the LapBand---well, guess what? My daughter was just diagnosed this year with lupus after 2-1/2 years of being misdiagnosed, so that concerned me enough to say 'ENOUGH IS ENOUGH--I WANT THE LAPBAND OUT, NOW!"

My LapBand surgeon still did not really want to take it out--he would rather have converted me last week to the gastric sleeve, which he seems to have had a lot of success with. He still is of the opinion that I am going to gain all of my weight back (I have lost approximately 55 pounds total with the band total since having it placed). He says that either "we made a mistake when we put the band in, or we're making a mistake now by taking it out, which is it?" I don't know--I think it had its place for a time, and I'm grateful for the 55 pounds I lost with it, but I'm just in a different place now and I want to lose the other 30 pounds I have to lose with the Topamax medication and the appetite suppression it offers.....I don't want any more drastic surgery......I just don't. The LapBand was as drastic as it gets.

And you know what? I still look at menus and think like a Bandster....."Oh, I can't have that....oh, wait a minute, I can!!" But I still tend to eat around crusts and Buns, etc., just out of habit! It is amazing, though, that I have my stomach back entirely, and there is NO FIGHTING whatsoever with my food and no "golfball feeling in the chest" like when food would get stuck and I used to have to go PB it back up just for comfort's sake!

And you know what? I have lost 2 more pounds since my surgery a week ago, just by getting to eat healthy things like chicken and steak again, in portions more than just a couple of bites and without being slathered in gravy and cheese in order to go through the band.

I am happy with my decision.

Glad to hear you're doing so well Loreen. :)

I know that when I was unfilled I was amazed at how things went back to normal almost instantly. I remember asking my surgeon if I had to go on liquids or anything, and he said... "Nope... just go out and eat normally." It was bizarre.

I did manage to keep off 1/2 of my weight through three pregnancies, but have now gained another 10 pounds. So, I had my Band refilled last week. I am a little too tight and miserable. I may see if it loosens up or just have it removed again. I plan to revise to a VSG once my daughter isn't depending as much on breastmilk for nutrition. Seems like the quality of life would be better for me.

Hello:

I am new here. I had the band put in in June 2003 in Michigan by Dr. Mark Pleatman......the fills were never that comfortable to me (my sister called the LapBand "forced bulimia," as all I was ever doing was PBing after one-too-many (but really few) bites!). To make a long story, short, I lost about 50 pounds in that first year of about 90-100 that I wanted to lose, or roughly half. About 15 months after I had the procedure, I wanted to take a "break" from all of the golfball-feeling discomfort after eating anything other than soft foods, so I had a complete unfill. Around that same time, I also accepted a position doing home transcription in which I get NO EXERCISE in the course of my day....and I have now put on approximately 18 pounds from my all-time LapBand low.

I am very tired of the LapBand and did not understand when I had it done, as my doctor now tells me, that he has found that most people only lose about half the weight they wanted to after having the LapBand. I am seriously considering having it removed, because....call me silly, I dream of being able to eat HEALTHILY again, if only given the chance.... of being able to eat a whole piece of healthy Protein, be it steak, chicken, etc. and vegetables, without my food being doused with grease in order to go down through the band and not "fight" it, only to have me PB the food later, as is the case now. I want to try to lose this last 50 pounds by just being ABLE to eat right, which I am unable to at the moment, even with it being unfilled...there is still a restriction there that I can still definitely feel with certain foods. I am tired of sticking to all liquidy, greasy foods in the name of LapBand compatibility, and I don't think that this is the healthiest way for me to go. I want the opportunity now to prove I can do the rest on my own.

Trouble is, I have switched insurance carriers since I had the procedure four years ago, and the new carrier won't cover anything related to morbid obesity procedures (but they'll cover sleep apnea, diabetes, hypertension, etc.....don't GET me started!). I have already talked it over with my Lapband doctor in the past, and through an arrangement for self-pay patients with the hospital, it would cost approximately $5000 for everything to have it removed once and for all. Considering I initially had to pay a $2000 one -year "program fee" with my doctor for fills, nutritional support, etc. after I first had it put in and also $1000 or so for a plan deductible when I had my procedure, the 50 pounds I initially lost will end up having cost me more than $8000, with extra in gas to get to my doctor out of town for each visit. Ugh!

Although my doctor says it's not so, I also can't help but think that the longer the band stays around the stomach, the more the chance for problems or worse adhesions down the road. There is this little voice in the back of my mind saying, "Get it Out! Get it Out!"

Am I crazy for even thinking of paying this $5000 to have it taken out?

Not if it brings you peace of mind. That's all that really matters. If your gut feeling tell you to take it out....then do it!

Thank you so much for your comment regarding the size of meals. I did feel like a failure because I can eat a regular meal, albeit, smaller in size. I kept hearing and reading about people eating only a bite or two and then are full. I thought there was something wrong with me. Now I know I'm fine. I eat almost everything without difficulty. I did have to have an unfill once but I'm doing fine now. I must admit that at times certain foods like leftover chicken and some pastas can be a problem... but for the most part everything goes down okay. I am glad to know that others out there can eat a "real meal" just smaller in size.... maybe what a "thin" person eats!

OMG! I was just banded a month ago and you guys have scared the heck out of me! I haven't had any problems and have lost 15 lbs. I eat very slow and chew everything well.I have never slimed, vomited or Pbing yet. I hope I can do this. It now seems scary!

Cynthia, Don't be scared or even worried This site and other support sites just keep us informed of what could be. Count your blessings. I went almost a year without any difficulties or vomiting. I could eat anything as long as I ate it slowly. My fill in September is what caused a problem for me. I talked with my PA and she said let's take a little out. Since then... no problem. It is good to keep up with the sites for lapband. It keeps you informed and opens your eyes your own situaltion. I had a zillion questions and fears after my surgery. Now I know I'm okay. Good luck to you. I am very pleased I had my surgery.

No, doctors and providers don't tell you the truth about the actual weight loss. I lost about 75 lbs. initially (being able to eat only slush and mush, as I call it) and then started the tricky road to fills and unfills. Traveled to other states even to have fills done right and all this has cost a bundle along with the initial $15K I spent on the procedure.

After that first weight loss, I started gaining for no apparent reason, still eating (or having food slide down my throat) small quantities. I went to a doctor and was diagnosed with PCOS, a condition that prevents weight loss and actually is responsible for weight gain even when eating only 1,000 calories per day and exercising.

Fed up with the whole thing, I had as much of an unfill as is possible. Now I'm waiting till I have health insurance in hopes my coverage will include complete removal of the band.

One bright note throughout this ordeal...Thanks to a suggestion from a PCOS support group member, I started on the Atkins program and have now started to lose weight. And, if I chew really well, I can keep most of the foods down. It seems that carbs are really the enemy to weight loss.

So, if you feel you want the band out, get it out. It's worth $5,000 (if you can afford it which I can't right now) for peace of mind. I wish I had started Atkins BEFORE I got the banding done. Good luck.

I love my band and wouldn't want to have it removed. It has helped me lose the additional weight I wanted to lose. I have twenty pounds to go and can't wait to get there. I have to be more focused and drop some of the carbs I've been consuming to do it. I am at fault with my "tool" not the tool itself. I will do it. I will. My doctor's group is fantastic and supportive. I've never been made to feel as if I've failed... ever.

conniesueB

I was just banded 10/24/07 but find that i feel gassy all the time is this normal ? I tend to burp and my insides are rumbling like crazy but what botheres me the most is i feel like my band is obstructing my air in a small way just wanted to know if this is a normal feeling and will go away ?

Cynthia, Don't be scared or even worried This site and other support sites just keep us informed of what could be. Count your blessings. I went almost a year without any difficulties or vomiting. I could eat anything as long as I ate it slowly. My fill in September is what caused a problem for me. I talked with my PA and she said let's take a little out. Since then... no problem. It is good to keep up with the sites for lapband. It keeps you informed and opens your eyes your own situaltion. I had a zillion questions and fears after my surgery. Now I know I'm okay. Good luck to you. I am very pleased I had my surgery.

Thank you so much! I am really trying. The only problem I have is anxiety and depression at times. Is this normal?

conniesueB

I was just banded 10/24/07 but find that i feel gassy all the time is this normal ? I tend to burp and my insides are rumbling like crazy but what botheres me the most is i feel like my band is obstructing my air in a small way just wanted to know if this is a normal feeling and will go away ?

It does feel that way in the beginning. Drinking something warm help alleviate it. All the symptoms you're having are normal. Congratulations!

hi loreen,so sorry to hear you are unhappy,chicke is right thuogh,you can still eat and be healthy,i wonderd if your sister has a weight problem[sorry,dont mean to be rude by asking that,but maybe that is why she hasnt been able to support you]i dont have much Fluid in my band yet,but theres no way i would want it tacken out,once i get the weight of,i never want to go back to putting it on again,but we are all differant.so i hope life works out how you would like it to,but before you remove the band,maybe think about the reasons why you chose to have the operation in the first place.i just want you to be happy with your life,wich you ovbiously are not.

I love my band and wouldn't want to have it removed. It has helped me lose the additional weight I wanted to lose. I have twenty pounds to go and can't wait to get there. I have to be more focused and drop some of the carbs I've been consuming to do it. I am at fault with my "tool" not the tool itself. I will do it. I will. My doctor's group is fantastic and supportive. I've never been made to feel as if I've failed... ever.

i wish my fill docter was as supporting as yours,im happy for you that you have that support:biggrin1:

so sorry,not sure what happend,must have missed the bit where you said you have had it removed[sorry,must be a bit slow...]glad you are happy with you decision,it would be interesting to see how your weight does go 12mths down the track.