Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a fairly new vet with a few questions. A bunch of anyone else questions. :D

First, I have my feed days and my non feed days. There are days that I can eat almost an entire cup of food in one sitting, and some days where I can barely eat 1/2 cup. There is no pattern and I never know what the day will bring until I try to eat. My runny nose trigger doesn't always happen so I may be going along fine, eating slowly, chewing thoroughly (kind of) and BLURP, it's revisiting.

Anyone else? My NP says that I have probably reached my max capacity, too. I am 18 months out, is this all I am going to be able to eat? (I sure as sh!t hope so!)

Second. I have NO slider foods. I get full on crap as fast as I get full on Protein ounce for ounce. I am happy for this and I hope it doesn't change. Do all of you have slliders?

Next, the 30 minute drinking rule. Like most, my NP says no drinking 30 minutes after a meal. NO PROBLEM. If I do, I throw up. In fact, my initial sip ALWAYS is just that -- a sip. If I feel tightness, I know not to drink any more. I usually have to wait an hour or more before drinking after a meal. Anyone else?

I still can't drink plain Water very often. It makes me gag. Psychological? Hmmmm.... You?

I wonder if my sleeve is "tighter" than many. I have a slight stricture that I refuse to have stretched. I like/need the restriction and the sick feeling I get if I over do it. Keeps me honest.

For you experienced vets, do you think this is my new normal or do things still continue to evolve?

Hi! First of all, yes to everything! You'll find that as individual as your journey is, many of us will these idiosyncrasies in common.

Our sleeves are an organ just like any else, susceptible to changes in atmosphere, environment, altitude and whatnot. If you've ever known a LapBand patient, you know that sometimes when they fly, the band becomes tight because the stomach swells with altitude. Same for us. The change of the seasons, hot, cold, not feeling good or just general my-sleeve-is-being-a-diva days... my capacity varies.

As far as capacity, this will vary. A half cup to a cup is probably the most you'll ever be able to eat, again with variances for those days when you feel like a bottomless sleeve. It's important, though to note that OVER TIME, our capacity changes. Years out your sleeve might naturally expand a bit. That's why it's essential to keep your portions under control. 2 to 4 oz of food at a time. Take your time eating. Focus on your Proteins, those will keep you full longer. These habits will keep your sleeve from growing to a capacity that you're not comfortable with. YOU are in control YOU, not your sleeve decided how much you can eat.

Slider foods... I have a few but it will still take me a half hour to chomp down a snack size bag of doritos. I will fill up fast... but then it literally slides right out and ten minutes later HEY I can eat a couple more chips. I believe this is the true definition of a slider... something that will allow you to graze over time because it doesn't KEEP you full for very long, thus enabling you to eat more calories than you would were you eating Protein that sticks around for awhile.

I normally can't drink for at least 45 mins after eating. This rule has never been a problem to follow. My sleeve just won't have any kind of liquid before I've digested the food.

You may indeed have a smaller sleeve. It depends on how small your stomach was pre-surgery. Some of us had larger sized stomachs so the sleeve will be 'longer' and therefore have more capacity. Though I caution people to not get caught up in how little they can eat. It's all well and good until you pass out and break your nose (happened to a friend of mine). Eventually, your physiology becomes accustomed to the reduced intake and adjusts... our bodies are smart that way. You need calories to exist and we are not made to exist forever on 500 calories. That said... I probably only get in about 1,000 cals a day if that, it depends on what I am eating. I like high calorie protein-- refried Beans, pork, beef, etc. I don't count calories but calories DO count.

I think you've found a great balance and if you're happy, ONWARD!

Continues to involve.

This spring, at 2.5 years out I entered a phase of hardly being able to eat. Turns out it was emotional, but it felt like physical restriction.

My restriction at 5 years changes all the time. It certainly makes a difference if it's hard Protein like steak, compared to say, egg salad.

My meal amounts have never been my problem. It's my head that tells me I want something, and then I end up eating something healthy, like Greek yogurt, but still isn't filling.

I still can't drink with meals or I will get sick. I have no problem waiting 45 minutes.

My sleeve is bigger. I can eat 4 oz. of a dense Protein and a very small potato at dinner. I definitely have sliders and can eat a lot of popcorn, crackers, or bread.

I think as time goes by you'll be able to eat more. I was able to eat more at 12 months, 18 months, 2 years, 2.5 years. But around 2. 5 years I maxed out. Capacity has not changed since then.

Lynda