Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got the call from the hospital!

As always the pre contact with the hospital just happened where they take down allergies and meds and the whole nine yards about you before you have your surgery.

She implied that my Bariatric surgery had nothing to do with this surgery. I told her she was mistaken. That is when she started to ask questions. Out of the blue she asked if it was all worth it and I said YES. She said then we don't have to talk about it do we. I said I guess not but this surgery is because of the surgery in 2012. Oh she said. I thought you said it was worth it. It was I said but it was not something I planned is it to have s**t left in my a**. she said oh well lets get on with the questions. I said sure.....

But my stomach flipped because it is just one more person in the medical field that is not interested in hearing about WLS. It is like doors slam in my face all the time.

When we were about to end the conversation she asked how much weight I lost. I told her and she said well at least your knees will be happy. I said what does that even mean. She did not answer.....

I really don't like dealing with the medical field in my area since I had my WLS. It is like I am a fly buzzing around their heads and they just want to swat me away.

I am unnerved about this call. :(

With all that has been going on with you...that's just a shame!

I've been lucky...my doctor is very PRO WLS...she is considering it herself :)

Now I'm getting ready for my first new knee, the first orthopedic that I saw what very happy with my weight loss...when I saw him over 2 years ago, he was a very negative Nancy about the possibility of surgery with my weight...and that I HAD to lose to get the knees repaired.

Even tho his bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired, he seemed genuinely impressed...tho he did make a little comment about how so many people fail (I think -check your stats, dude!)... but over all a good visit.

Then I go see the actual surgeon for my knee surgery and he was Mr. Positive about the whole experience...tho he doesn't look like he's ever had a weight problem ;) We shared tips on cooking and love of raw almonds :D

Tho it could be because my bariatric surgeon is part of the same medical group... I don't know... but, for the most part, it's been a positive experience

Edited by BigGirlPanties

So unprofessional! Best of luck RJ! We are all thinking of you and are hoping for the best outcome!

RJ.....just proves that you can't fix stupid. Sorry you have to be on the receiving end of it so often.

RJ'S/beginning,

I hope your surgery goes well.

IF ignorance is bliss, why aren't there many more happy people in the world? :lol:

Blessings,

Kathleen

Same here. I cringed seeing this. However, the attitude doesn't surprise me from the medical profession. Well some of them any way.

The oddity is that the bariatric surgeon is in more need of an attitude adjustment than the other docs I have now.

RJ.....just proves that you can't fix stupid. Sorry you have to be on the receiving end of it so often.

Wish I had this expression when I was talking to her...lol I might have been able to fit it in! LOL

@RJ'S/beginning I have another thought for you that I hope can make you look at this differently. I know you've had some uncaring professionals, but I hate to think that EVERY one of them is that way.

I used to be that nurse on the end of the phone. I had 45 patients to get safely to and from surgery every day, and 45 more that I had to get prepped via that phone call. As the manager of the unit, it was a lot to do for my staff! We had a standard questionnaire that we had to ask everyone, and it could keep you there a long time if you went too far off the beaten path. The nurses job is to get the basic information so that the anesthesiologist can know it and ask more detailed questions if needed. But honestly, knowing you had a surgery is often enough. The fact that she asked you if it was worth it tells me she was interested, but honestly, going too far down that path is unprofessional. It's none of her business, and not relevant.

So, I didn't hear her tone, and I'm not defending the nurse. I only say this because you have to go there for care. If you feel like they are all not caring, then it makes it harder for YOU. If you choose to look at it differently, maybe it would be easier for you. Once you decide that all the health care professionals in your area are bad, it makes it really hard to get good care, because you will always perceive that you are not. You would be mad at them before you even know them. Do you think there is a way for you to step back and look at things differently? Just a thought sent to you with the most caring tone - and I mean that. Hugs.

@RJ'S/beginning I have another thought for you that I hope can make you look at this differently. I know you've had some uncaring professionals, but I hate to think that EVERY one of them is that way.

I used to be that nurse on the end of the phone. I had 45 patients to get safely to and from surgery every day, and 45 more that I had to get prepped via that phone call. As the manager of the unit, it was a lot to do for my staff! We had a standard questionnaire that we had to ask everyone, and it could keep you there a long time if you went too far off the beaten path. The nurses job is to get the basic information so that the anesthesiologist can know it and ask more detailed questions if needed. But honestly, knowing you had a surgery is often enough. The fact that she asked you if it was worth it tells me she was interested, but honestly, going too far down that path is unprofessional. It's none of her business, and not relevant.

So, I didn't hear her tone, and I'm not defending the nurse. I only say this because you have to go there for care. If you feel like they are all not caring, then it makes it harder for YOU. If you choose to look at it differently, maybe it would be easier for you. Once you decide that all the health care professionals in your area are bad, it makes it really hard to get good care, because you will always perceive that you are not. You would be mad at them before you even know them. Do you think there is a way for you to step back and look at things differently? Just a thought sent to you with the most caring tone - and I mean that. Hugs.

I will take what you said and apply it to this situation. you are right. I had so much stuff for her to fill out that I know she was getting frustrated. she said so. I can't help what has transpired in the last two years but she was concerned with getting all the information down and so her tone was as if I was keeping secrets. But I think she in reality was upset that these things were not on my chart as you say.....I think today I have a better feeling about it and thanks to you a better understanding.

So far here I have been really treated like a freak and they the doctors and even my own doctor has told me not to tell anyone what I did. It has all been too much. I have a friend of my daughters who has run interference for me a few times and brought Doctors in special for me. There have been 2 so far that treated me well. Most have given me their opinions on WLS quite quickly and have wasted no time telling me that it was not the thing to do.....

So it can get frustrating when one more person has a type of communication that is abrupt and sharp. I will look at her as if she had 30 people to get the information from and give her slack. You could be right and I appreciate your spin on these situations for me. It really does help me to look at it differently....Thank you so much @@MichiganChic

@RJ'S/beginning just wondering how you are doing, and hoping you've been treated better. How are you feeling?

@RJ'S/beginning just wondering how you are doing, and hoping you've been treated better. How are you feeling?

I was at the hospital yesterday and the surgeon looked at his work. He is very happy with what he has done.

I will tell you this.. It hurts like a B***H. And if this small surgery hurts. Oh I am not looking forward to the surgery of skin removal.

I am so hoping that this guy will do that work for me...He is a dream with a knife....lol

Thank you for all your encouragement @@MichiganChic :)

Hi RJ,

So you are having surgery for skin removal? I'll be thinking of you on the 17th.

Lynda

Hi RJ,

So you are having surgery for skin removal? I'll be thinking of you on the 17th.

Lynda

No I had repair work done on the 27th November. Went back on the 5th and the surgeon was pleased with his handy work. I see him again on Jan.5th 2015 for a consultation for skin removal. thanks where I am right now! :)

Glad to hear you found someone who is a dream with a knife, lol! I used to work in surgery, and there is such a "thing"! Some surgeons just have a gift. And it sounds like he has a typical sugeon's ego, if he is also impressed with himself ;)

Sorry it hurts, and I can feel your pain....literally! What kind of repair did you have? For some reason, I was thinking you had something done to your knee? Sorry if it's in the original post, i can't see it right now. Good luck on your plastics consult. Now that you know this guy, and he knows you, I'm thinking you might end up with a better visit. I love the results of my plastics so far - it's truly amazing what a difference it can make!