Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Date set for rebanding!

That's AWESOME Alexandra! Will you still be getting the AP band? It isn't in wide-release in the US until after the ASBS conference June 11th and 12th. I'm guessing your surgeon is one of the 50 or so who is putting in AP's in the early release group.

How VERY exciting!!!

That's AWESOME Alexandra! Will you still be getting the AP band? It isn't in wide-release in the US until after the ASBS conference June 11th and 12th. I'm guessing your surgeon is one of the 50 or so who is putting in AP's in the early release group.

How VERY exciting!!!

I guess so! Shhhhhhhhh....

your doctor is going OUT of network? That's new, how does that happen?

From time to time doctors enter or leave networks due to contract issues they have with the carriers. There's nothing an HMO patient can do about it except find another doctor, carrier, or pay the bills. This is the second time it's happened to me with my surgeon, and I'm just happy I have the knowledge and opportunity to find ways to deal with it. I was prepared to change carriersif necessary, again, this summer. I still might.

Thanks, everyone! That great thing is that there's none of the second-guessing or nervousness I had the first time. I know banding is the best thing for me, and I can't wait to get back on the bandwagon.

You took the words right out of my mouth!!! I will be banded on Monday and the idea that you were in bandland and want to go back is very encouraging to me!! Good luck and us newbies really appreciate the advice and wisdom of the veterans like yourself on here. I hope that someday ( when I am a veteran) I will be able to give back to the newbies!!!!

Peace,

Maureen

Hi Alexandra, I always like to read your posts-they're very insightful for me. I see that your band slipped after almost four years. How did you know there was a problem, and do you know what caused it? I start my pre-op diet tomorrow, and will be banded on June 1st. I have a hiatal hernia, and have heard that it can cause a band to slip. Needless to say, I'm pretty worried about that. Also, did you get to a point that your band had the right amount of saline, or do you still have to go back for fills periodically for life? Thanks for any info you can give me!

Lisa

Hi Lisa H,

Over the last two years of my banding, I'd had two or three episodes of negative symptoms, mostly reflux that happened at night. Each time I had an unfill that resolved the problem, and each time I got refilled I could tolerate less saline and the problem would come back after a while. The last time this happened the fluoroscopy showed a big slippage. Personally, I think my band was too small from the start, since even at my most filled I had less than 2cc of Fluid in my 4cc band. Back in 2003 there was only one band size available; now there are more options.

I don't know exactly what caused my slippage, but as I say I kind of think the band itself was too tight from the start. Over time, the sensations in my esophagus got less pronounced and it was easier to eat too much. I think my actions led to it slipping, to be honest, though it might have done so anyway just by virtue of it being too tight at certain times--allergies in particular led to problems, it seemed.

As for whether one needs to go back for fills, for life, it seems to me that eventually one has to reach a "happy place" with their band and restriction. There will come a time when either a) we've lost all the weight we want/can/need to; :( the band can't be tightened any more without serious risk; or c) some combination of the above. Unless Fluid leaks out of the band, there's no reason to keep going back for more.

did you have an allergy to the band material? Or did you sneeze alot and think that dislodged it?

Evilah

did you have an allergy to the band material? Or did you sneeze alot and think that dislodged it?

Evilah

Oh, no, I meant the regular hay fever kind of allergies. When I get them I get really congested, and when the band is tight everything inside gets inflamed. That's what led to my first spring go-round with internal swelling back in 2006, and I think what started it this last time. I don't take allergy meds year-round and sometimes I'm a bit slow on the uptake when I start to get symptoms.

I won't be making THAT mistake again.

yeah, i only take 1 a day claritin when things are bad. i have never thought about internal inflammation. I do have asthma and occasionally have a coughing fit. I can't wait to see how the new band works out for you! Do you know where a picture of it is? Will it have the low profile port?

That's AWESOME news Alexandra. As a newbie I have learned so much from your posts! I hope all goes well for you! Do you have to do a pre-op diet again???

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.