Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Kathy, this is too funny.... I used to live in LONDON

Lynette; Two days out... how are you 'feeling"..????

I hope not too much pain, what are you taking liquid Tylenol or Liquid something stronger???

Ok, I'll start this by saying I don't know how things with in the States with insurance, might be the same... but in Canada, it doesn't make any sense.

OHIP, which is our Provincial Goverment Medical insurance, will cover the cost of Gastric Bypass or the DS surgery if you have a BMI of 40+ or 35+ and co-morbidities. They will even pay to send us the the States to have it done quicker, as the waiting list in Canada for this is about 2+ years.

However, they consider the lapband to be "experimental", so they won't cover it. They will pay $35K or more for the other surgeries, that are much more invasive and risky, but not the $16K for the lapband.

The government also conducted a study of the various WLS types to determine which was most appropriate. In the end, their study concluded that all three types had good results and should be covered... so why only the most risky and expensive :):mad::mad::mad::heh::heh::heh::heh:

I guess I'm just bitter that an aquaintance of mine had the gastric bypass surgery completely paid for, and I have to pay for mine.

Oh well!

Kathy, this is too funny.... I used to live in LONDON

How long ago? Are you in Toronto now? I used to live there for about 10 years, until I moved here in 2001 (although this is where I grew up).

peaches9, I feel amazingly well. I've been home since Monday about 6pm.

Dr. said I was doing well enough to go home. He gave me a perscription for hydrocodine for pain. I've not had to take that many, and I haven't used any liquid tylenol yet. I've been able to swallow the pain pills once I break them in half. I've been out walking up and down the street to ease the gas pains, 3 times yesterday for about 20 minutes and twice today. It helps a lot.

I just got my 3 year old back from my MIL, so I'm going to go get him ready for bed, and head there myself.

G'nite all.

Lynette, Do you need to take any timed release pills? Curious how you handle those! Glad you are doing so well!

I lived there from 1989-2000 when I moved 'up north' to the Georgian Traingle...

I hate driving in Toronto, so that will be my next challenge - when I go for fills - I may drive myself...

DH is taking me for Tues meeting and Wed surgery to T.O.

Peaches9

240/195/130?

Kathybad;

My GF had the Gastric bypass ROUX-n-Y done laproscopically in Feb... in MICHIGAN.. Ohip paid as she was heavier than I... it cost $40K U.S. funds!!!! SHe made her application from teh Drs office and within 10 days got her approval from OHIP!! 2 wks later she had her surgery in the US..

I went with her for pre-op tests etc... long drive. but she has done very well. I did not weigh enough to qualify for ROUX n Y and OHIP payment.

she has lost 65 lbs since Feb/07 - has never regretted her decision "wished I had done this 10 yrs ago!" was her last reply to me...

BUT I think the LAP is the best choice for me... especially that it's reversable if you ever have a Health Crisis and need full nutrician again (although I hope NOT)

I agree that our Government Health care could certainly use some "tweeking" It is short sighted of them... with the W/L surgery "we" will cost the OHIP system LESS money in the long run... ie. Heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, joint/back problems, .... funny how they will pay for Pacemakers in someones chest after their heart has pooped out. Or artificial knees...???

That is one of the blessings of this LAPBAND surg. I will be carrying a lot less excess weight around on my arthritic knees and spine...

I was always bigger than the girls my age. As a kid growing up I was taller than all the other girls. I was also a tomboy growing up and was always aware that I was bigger than girls my age.

Growing up I was a little chubby as a kid, but lost the chubbyness as I continued to grow, but I can remember eating a lot as a kid, 2-3 bowls of Cereal, getting large portions at meal time but athletics helped me keep the weight off in high school. Yet as a child growing up, I can still remember my Aunt Irene telling my mom that I was fat. Also in High school I remember my doctor always telling me I was fat, but looking back I can honestly say I wasn't. I was 5'7 in middle school and high school and because of basketball, softball and bike riding I had a lot of muscle. I was in great shape in high school, playing ball and running track, yet I always felt bigger. I remember the girls on the track team getting "small" shorts and I'd get the large or xlarge shorts, and that made me feel big and fat when I compared myself to them. Yet I know looking at the pictures I wasn't.

I started to gain weight in college and I was aware of it. Walking to classes, I'd see my shadow on the sidewalk and it was bigger than my friends and I was always embarrassed yet all through college I still wasn't "fat" I got chubby. I stopped playing sports due to a knee injury and the doctor told me if I continued to play, then my knee would be ruined and I'd seriously in jury it. After I quite playing sports I really gained weight. I didn't realize it then but that is the time my PCOS kicked in and the weight gain began to rapidly increase. In 1997 I weight 275 and I took a job on the road as a stage tech for a company. It was physical work and I lost a lot of weight. I got down to 220 and I remember going into a bar, being carded and the guy at the door taking a double take at my drivers license. I told him "I've lost a lot of weight" and he said "Yeah, you have." and he smiled. It made me feel so good. After the job and the physical labor, I gained the weight back. I took an office job at a company who had a cafe in the building and I was sitting at my desk all day, not eating healthy and not exercising. It wasn't until a year ago that I went over the 300# mark. It was after I stopped taking topomax and i got depressed over the weight gain. I've been hovering around 335 for a while now.

I've wanted the lap band for about 4 years. I tried through insurance at that time but they said no. I switched jobs 2 years ago but didn't think my new insurance covered the surgery. I discovered a lump on my thyroid last year and went to a doctor at Centennial. While looking at the website for Centennial I noticed a link to their womans hospital and the the lap band program they have. I read the insurance page and saw that others who had my insurance had the operation and it was covered. I kept thinking about it but never looked into it. It wasn't until March of this year when a co-worker had a heart attack that I took a good look at my life. It scared me. I'm 35 and I want to live a healthy life not just for me but for my husband. I'm lucky because he loves me for me and the weight doesn't bother him. I went to the seminar in April and filled out the paperwork and sent it in, but they called me the day after they received the paperwork and said my insurance didn't cover it. I started to get depressed and I could tell my husband was disapointed for me. I remember calling my mom crying because I couldn't afford to do a self pay. The next day my mom called me and said my dad and her talked and they were going to give me the money. It would come out of the money I'd receive when they pass away. I said I'd only agree to accept the money if my brother was OK with the idea. They talked to him and he agreed. He said a lady he worked with had the surgery and he saw the difference it made. Plus he has always been worried about my weight and knew this was something I needed to do. So, the next day I contacted the office and set up an appointment to see the doctor. The rest is history. My surgery is scheduled for July 18.

Am I scared, yes but I'm more scared of not having the surgery. This is something I need to help me live a healthy life.

Oh, I almost forgot, I know being overweight affects me and how I'm viewed. 5 years ago I was passed over for a promotion because of my weight. I almost sued for discrimination and became depressed and gained more weight because of it.

My husband loves amusement parks and I'm looking forward to going to a park and being able to ride the rides with him. I know my weight affects him too in the things we can't do together but he's so understanding and has never said a bad word about my weight. I know he supports me no matter what and I love him so much. I want to do this not just for me but for him as well.

Plus as an added bonus, he's agreed to stop smoking once I have the surgery. I told him if I'm doing this to become healthy so we can live a long life together he needs to do something too and he agreed. We will both be working toward living healthy for each other and support each other through both our changes.

[Go to TickerFactory.com to build your ticker counter. Chose weight loss and then select your tape from the many choices. Once you've selected your tape, hit "next" to choose your marker, then hit "next". Once it's complete, highlight the tape and hit "ctrl+c" to copy it. Then in this website, go up to the top and click on "UserCP" and select "User Signature". Click in the signature text area and hit "ctrl+v" to paste the tape.]

Kathy-thanks for the reply, but I tried this and it still didnt work--I tried to copy and paste the bbCode and the HTML and I tried to cut and paste the tape itself and paste it.......NOTHING!! I am a spaz

Any other suggestions?

Anna

I've been trying for 2 weeks to get this ticker thing on my signature and finally made it.

Laurend, Bobbert's Mom, Mrs. Horne, and Abbey...You guys are on deck!!!! You've GOT to be excited. It's here! Let us know what you're feeling.

We are praying for ya'll. If you start to get antsy, just remember your goals of healthy living, etc. (fill in the blanks). It's all good.

Get a good night's rest and have a great time entering Bandland!!!

Hey, you forgot me!!! :cry

Hi this is Mommiranda - I am getting the nerves for my Friday surgery (July 6th)! No real pre-op diet for me, except starting tonight and tommorow only Clear Liquids ...

My stats - Height is 5'6", weight is 212 lbs, which is a BMI of 34 or so. I'm 41.

As soon as I can I'll start to post on my post-op experiences. My pre-op was easy. Got bloodwork, chest x-ray and EKG. Took alot longer to fill out paperwork. I am a self pay and boy was I irritated to find out that 'miscelleaneous charges' from these tests were not part of the package.

Trying not to let that get me down. Saw awesome fireworks tonight which was also my 13th wedding anniversary! So, a good day and the last one for my 'old' eating style.

MM

Good luck to Bobberts Mom, Laurend, Cherrybomb, Abbey and Mrs Horne on your upcoming banding. I'm sure all will go well..:).... I'm a little upset today:mad:, I asked my DF what he REALLY thought my having this surgery and he had the nerves to say, " I think your taking the easy way out" I am soooooo tired of explaining myself to him, I just give up. He has no idea what it is to be overweight, he's 6"1 and 180lbs, not an ounce of fat anywhere, his mom is thin and so is his brother. He says, just take a walk every morning and you'll lose the weight on your own. If it were that easy I'd have a body like Beyonce. Sorry if I'm rambling, he just really ticked me off,:angry grrrrrrr

Hey, you forgot me!!! :cry

No sweetie...I was just cheering for the 7/3 folks in that post...How could I forget you, Cherrybomb???

But....We do have on deck...drumroll please....Cherrybomb and LWesson! We wish you well tomorrow. We are praying for you and know that e'thing will be okay. I'm sure both of you can hardly sleep!! But do get some good rest tonight so you're good to go tomorrow. Stop in and let us know how you're doing.

We still haven't heard from Laurend and Abbey. Hope all is well.

Dini, Adam just doesn't know what to do w/himself, huh? Are we gonna have to fly over to Ireland and show him/tell him? I'm sorry things haven't been going to smoothly. Really, I would sit down and have a heart to heart w/him.

Okay, gang. I am gonna head to bed now. I'm sorry I didn't get to respond to more posts. I have been moving (my cousin's getting her home remodeled) all day. I'm worn out. Till tomorrow!!!