Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking ALL THE THINGS? Tips on scheduling

So I'm on day two of the 2-week pre-op diet (3 shakes a day, 1 lean cuisine, 64 oz+ of water), and wow, it's hard to fit all this liquid into my day. I'm trying to time it correctly with Water consumption so that I'm not drinking water 30 min before or 1 hr after a shake, but...time is running out on me! It's a good thing that right now I can gulp a whole bottle in 15 minutes, but I know won't be able to do that after surgery. So what are your great tips on how to fit in all the shakes/water/etc?

Bonus question: I'm also a little annoyed that my doctor's office is being super inflexible about the pre-op diet. I'd like to substitute some Unjury chicken Soup flavor Protein instead of a shake here and there because all the sweet stuff is a lot, but they said no--just drink the three shakes, with no real reason why. Blegh. Also can't have sugar-free popsicles, they said, again with no justification. I might switch in a few Soups and make some popsicles anyway. I mean, does it really matter if I'm drinking or licking my crystal light? I don't think so! I don't want to subvert their instructions, but these substitutions seem perfectly reasonable to me as long as protein levels and water levels stay high.

You can always not tell them and do it. I would ask what their medical reasoning basis for this is. That is usually a good indication about the surgeon and the office.

different groups do different things, and all may work.

Are you sure you are supposed to wait 30 minutes to drink Water after drinking a shake? My team didn't require it, and it seems to be a very rare requirement. From my (admittedly non professional) understanding of human anatomy and the digestive tract, I can't see why anyone would require it.

The reason why they want you to not drink Water for the time is so the shakes don't get washed out and you have the time to absorb the Vitamins and Protein. Not sure about them being that strict except to prepare you....

Right. It's technically not required to wait, but it seems like a good practice to put in place because I believe you are supposed to stick to that after surgery to keep the Protein in you longer and make you feel more full, etc.

@@Tootles1975 your not far off in your last statement "it seems like a good practice to put in place because I believe you are supposed to stick to that after surgery"

That is exactly why your doctor is telling you to do what they are telling you to do. Your profile says Gastric Bypass, now from what I know from reading (please bypass friends and Veterans jump in here) you may not be able to drink Water again after a shake for 30 minutes or more after your surgery.

You may not want to be drinking hot or cold beverages or Soups and ices after your surgery. So your doctors are giving you a "taste" of what is to come. If you can't wrap your mind around it now...what will happen after?

This is your learning curve friend use it wisely!! Ask your doctors why and if they explain along those terms, it's in your best interest and long term success to follow what they advise.

Best of luck to you, let us know how it goes!!

@@lisacaron That's a fair point about temperature. I just wish they had taken a minute to explain why, instead of just saying "No, just stick to the diet." It left me with the impression that they just were being dismissive for no particularly good reason.

@@Tootles1975 I know, sometimes we have to remember to advocate for ourselves. Some offices get so "boiler plate" with their processes and procedures they forget that we are people and need to understand why we are doing what they ask us to do so that we can have a better reception of the information and follow their guidance. We are not all sheep that simply follow without question.

Don't be afraid to go back in there and and ask for a more though out explanation as to why they are telling you to do these things. It's important and they need to make the time for you I'm sure you are not the only patient who has had questions. :)

I bought two 24-ounce Tervis Tumblers (and handles) at Bed, Bath & Beyond; one for work and one for home. At least 30 minutes after Breakfast I fill one up with sugar-free, Decaf Crystal Light (or generic) iced tea and sip it all morning, finishing up at least 30 minutes before lunch. At least 30 minutes after lunch, I fill another and sip it all afternoon. Then, at least 30 minutes after dinner I fill my last one at home and sip it all evening. That's 72+ ounces of Fluid every day! If I have to go somewhere, I bring my tumbler in the car with me. And if I'm hungry and it's not mealtime or snacktime, I drink even more. If I'm going to a casual party where there won't be anything "appropriate" for me to drink, I bring along more tea in a cooler. It sounds obsessive, but it works!

@@Rogofulm Oh those are really nice. That holiday penguins one might have to become mine. A bigger tumbler is probably a good idea as I often will get caught up in something at work and forget to go get a refill throwing off my timing! Thanks!

Thanks for the tip @Rogofulm. I need to institute this practice right away. I think I'll start with iced red dragon chai spiced tea. I know when I have something delicious to drink, I'm more likely to remember to drink.

@@lisacaron thank you for that. This is quite true: I had a group that was very boilerplate and the surgeon wouldn't answer the indepth questions. Basic ones but if you asked something out of the "cookbook" then you didn't get an answer and would be labelled. This is why I'm particular about telling people to ask beforehand. If it is just the surgeons' experience, well they discount *our* experiences, why should they, as people of science, not rely on studies or at least some sort of rational more than one persons' experience background?