Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2014 sleevers check in please!

[quote name="WL WARRIOR

I am viewing this on my Android mobile app - not as user friendly, so I hope I quoted your name right.

Your weight loss is ahh mazing!!! I am stunned w/how little you eat. I truly wish I had your restriction. I eat a whopping 1200 cal a day (per nutrionist instructions) and can eat more If I allowed myself.

I too have hypothyroid & have been using that as my excuse for not losing more (I average 5 lbs a month, the last two months). Now seeing your results, I can't really use that as a crutch.

If I'm honest I know I'm not eating as well as I should. I've gotten a little laxed w/the carbs and exercise.

I have my 6 mo f/u in April. The exercise Physiologist set a goal for me to be between 182-186lb. This morning I was at 186 but I KNOW I can so much better. I just have to buckle down! !!!

Sorry for the ramble, just had a lot to say, lol.

Karthy812,

Thanks for the compliment. I think you are doing great! I get hungry between meals, especially in the evening. I've heard that it's more effective to eat small meals every three hours. That is not what I have been doing, but gives me something to think about when I'm further along. I've also started going to OA meetings every week. I'm hoping that this will help me from gaining weight back.

Hi guys! I'm just a few weeks out from 6 months. I have lost a total of 112 pounds. I've gone down from size 32 jeans being really tight to size 26 being loose, and on top I've gone from a 32/5X to a 24/3X or 22/2X, depending on cut and material. I'm about a 24 dress size now.

About me: 5'8", mid-30s, large frame, PCOS and hypothyroid

What I eat:

Breakfast: a Protein shake or Protein Bar

Lunch: 3-4 ounces of meat, 3-4 ounces of veg, sometimes 1-2 ounces of starch if there is room left

Afternoon snack: Protein Bar or alternate snack (cheese, veggies and dip, etc.)

Dinner: Whatever the family is eating, adapted to focus on Protein and veg, eaten in the 3 bites protein 2 bites veg 1 bite starch pattern

I sometimes add another snack if I've done a heavy workout and need a little something else - a piece of fruit or some cheese, often.

On average, I'm getting:

1230 calories

30g sugar

76g protein

26g Fiber

1800 mg sodium

656 mg Calcium before supplementation

7mg Iron before supplementation

108g carbs

Working out:

I strive for 150 minutes of activity a week. I mostly do walking, and then 3 times a week on average I go to the gym for high-intensity interval cardio plus weight training. I lift pretty heavy (8 reps per set) and have been really happy with the strength gains I've seen. I do a lot of walking apps and games to keep myself interested - The Walk, Zombies, Run!, and Ingress, for instance.

NSVs:

So many!

-I can now sit painlessly in the Evil Chairs in my office

-I can now fit into restaurant booths

-I can buy clothes in more than just one store instead of just being limited to Catherine's

-My bad knee is waaaaaaay better, so I don't need a cane to walk anymore

-I am off BP meds and metformin

-I have more energy and feel overall happier

I'm going to fly somewhere next month. Can't wait!

Agent

You are doing awesome. I have slacked off on my exercise but getting it going tomorrow. What kind of Protein Bars do you eat?

@@AgentShepard, I love your post. It was very thorough and gave me a clear picture of your progress. You have done incredibly well!

We've been having this discussion in our Facebook group about some of us reverting back to our old ways. I've started eating more carbs than I should & because I'm nervous about my hair shedding, i've stopped working out so that I won't put a lot of stress on my hair. Not a good excuse, I know.

Keep up the great work.

I am 5 months out and have been stalling like crazy. I went the entire month of February stuck at 285 lbs so I went back to the full liquid stage for a couple days and that helped lose 5 lbs. Since then I've only lost another 5 and have been stuck again at 275 for the past 3 weeks. I've increased my exercise and I eat 1000-1200 calories a day. I'm getting 70-80 grams of Protein and I get my liquid in so I know that's not an issue.

Also, my hair. My poor hair! It was thin before surgery and has only gotten worse since. I took my hairdressers advice and switched to a sulfate-free shampoo/conditioner and started using a hot oil treatment. I'm thinking hair extensions or a top piece might be in my future!

Edited by JerzyTomato74

Hi Jerzy

I will be six months out on Tuesday and I have only lost si pounds in the last 5 weeks. I think maybe the 1100 calories is too much. Unfortunately, I find that I am hungry but never starving. I am going to try the liquids again and see what happens. I will keep you posted.

Peekaboo, I eat Quest Bars. I am devoted to them! My two favorite flavors are chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Double chocolate Chunk, followed by S'mores and Cookies and Cream. They give 20 or more g of Protein and around 20 g Fiber (REALLY helpful) for under 10 carbs and 200 calories. There are bars that have more Protein, but usually those have over 300 calories. The ratios in the Quest Bars are the best I've found.

GNC usually sells the boxes of 12 bars for $35, but if you buy their $15 gold membership the price for a box is $25. I always keep a stash in the house and I try to have a bar in my purse if I'm going out, just in case I get stuck somewhere and need an emergency snack (as my sugar gets low more easily now than before the surgery.)

As for hair, as long as we get our protein and Vitamins, Hair loss at this stage is probably attributed to something called telogen effluvium - basically, the physical shock to the system of surgery plus rapid weight loss right after shocks a bunch of hair into falling out, but the good news is that it resolves naturally on its own with time. Here is a good article on the topic:

http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/resource-articles-2/weight-loss-surgery/weight-loss-surgery-nutrition-and-hair-loss

I would encourage you not to back off of working out for the sake of your hair. Unless you are doing some kind of kooky hair-pulling workout, I guess!

I stepped up my working out from gentle walking to more intense exercise plus weights in late February, and for the first three weeks or so I bounced around within the same 3 pounds. It was frustrating, but I kept at the working out because it really was making me feel good, and lo and behold, last week the weight started going down again and now I've lost around six pounds. (Seriously, if you've never tried doing weights, think about it! I love the way it makes me feel - strong and capable. after spending so long with my body making me feel weak and limited, I revel in feeling like I can kick ass and take names if the situation requires.)

Another thing to be aware of - BMI is meant to measure the overall average size of a population, and when it is applied to individual people it is very problematic. It doesn't take things like muscle or bone mass into account, for instance - and people who have been heavy develop denser, heavier bones to carry the load. There are other measures like body fat percentage or waist-to-hip ratio that seem to be better health indicators for individuals.

I've talked about this before on this board, but I find that I do better when I set myself functional goals to Celebrate - things like fitting into seats, or being able to walk down the street to a restaurant, or being able to go up the stairs using my "bad" leg. It find it really empowering and encouraging to focus on the things that I have worked to be able to DO with my body rather than the things that my body IS or looks like.

I would love to be added to the fb group. I have asked several times but have never been added.

• AgentShepard, those are my favorite flavors of the Quest bars too! I enjoy reading everyone's post. I have noticed I am a little more hungry and can eat more now too. I have been in a little bit of a stall but finally got to onederland! I got a pedometer and am trying to get my 10,000 steps in everyday but I want to add in strength training. That is my next goal. Not sure why my text got smaller? Have a great day everyone!

I would love to be added to the fb group. I have asked several times but have never been added.

I don't know how to do that, but I'll post it on fb tonight so they can add you to the group. I'm pretty sure they will need your email address. You can private message your email address. Thanks

@@shmeyers,my last post did not quote your name, so not sure if you will get my message. So, I'm sending it again

Just to be clear, I'm not sure how to add you to the Facebook group but I can let them know that you'd like to be added.

I will have to send your email address to the person who started the group and they will send you an invite. Please private message me your email address or you could post it on this page.

@@AgentShepard, thanks for the words of encouragement. I am definitely going to start working out again, I know I need to. Especially since my weight-loss has virtually stopped.

Your last comment about BMI is right on point. My exercise physiologist made the same comment. He said he's not interested in my BMI or the numbers on the scale. He is more interested and my percentage of weight loss. I go this Friday for my six-month follow-up, so I'm interested to see if he'll be pleased.

@@WL WARRIOR - I can't imagine sustaining such a small # of calories for so long- you have some amazing will power! I average 800-1000 calories nearing 6 months out & like many, have noted increased hunger, increased capacity, but trying to follow the rules. Loosing is slower, but still happening.

@@AgentShepard - wow for you- amazing progress also!!

Edited by SimplySue

@@Peekboo I have also been stuck for weeks

I was thinking I don't eat enoufh. 500 calories a day. I go for my 6 months visit next week. 79 lbs down.