Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two months from surgery and throwing up!

For the past week and a half, everything I out in my mouth comes back up. I went to see my Doctor Wednesday and he admitted me into the hospital for severe dehydration and to see if there was an obstruction keeping food from going down. There was a small curve at the top of my stomach that was keeping food from staying down. He did an endoscopy with a balloon to stretch out the curve and into the next day everything appeared to be better. I was able to keep some Jello down as well as some chicken broth. I came home Friday but Saturday morning I woke up and threw up again and have been ever since. I'm so frustrated and family keeps pushing for me to eat something...'something needs to be on your stomach' but as you can imagine, the last thing I wanna do is eat something if I'm just going to throw it up. Last night after throwing up there was a little blood in the throw up which if course freaked me out and made me search online for hours into the night. I feel like crap and have now missed a whole week of work, tomorrow adding another day. I don't know what to do. I love my doctor but he doesn't seem to think that there is anything serious going on. I'm thinking, 'how does one survive on ice chips alone??' Has anyone else experienced this? Am I alone? Am I justified in believing that my doctor is being a little too laid back?? Help!

Oh no, this sounds horrible! Maybe you can call the on call dr (if your place has more than one surgeon)?... I threw up for the first 3 days and it was horrible, after that I got these suppositories for nausea and they worked wonders (but made me a little sleepy) Are you taking anything for it?

They didn't give me anything. I had a prescription for Carafate which is supposed to coat your stomach but I threw that up. ???? I will most likely have an appt with my Doctor tomorrow. There is no on call Doctor as he is the only surgeon at the office.

That is horrible and dangerous! Ask about the suppositories, I forgot the name, but they are the same as the ones they give for morning sickness... I'll pray you don't hurt anything and can stop throwing up.????

Thank you so much!

Throwing up repeatedly for a week and a half, two months out of surgery, definitely isn't right and you are justified in thinking your doctor is too laid back about it. Fortunately we can all survive a long time without food as long as we have Water - so keeping yourself hydrated is really important in the meantime.

I hope you do get an appointment with him today, get some anti-nausea drugs and get him to sort the problem out properly. It must be so miserable for you. Let us know how you get on.

It's obviously that the curve is affecting your health. If your condition improved after the endoscopy and then reverted, I think it's safe to assume the curve has also reverted. BE FIRM AND AGGRESSIVE with your doctor. It's your health so you MUST be your own advocate. I pray that you get better soon and keep us informed regarding your recovery.

Thanks for the prayers. I didn't go see my doc this morning but he did call me in a prescription. I just took it about an hour ago along with eating some ice chips and guess what?! I threw up again!!! I don't think I have ever been so frustrated in my life. I'm at my wits end. Also, I just read the side effects of the drug and VOMITING is one of them, along with dehydration, dry mouth and infrequent urination. What the heck?! Why would you give someone a med that has been dehydrated because they can't keep anything down, already infrequently urinating because of the dehydration, dry mouth because of the dehydration and VOMITING?? It makes no sense. Please pray!!!

What medicine did the doctor prescribe? Ask for Phenergan suppositories. If you can't keep anything down you need a suppository. If the nausea and vomiting continues I would go to the ER!!! I am so sorry you are going through this. Praying for you!!!

Yes phenergan for sure, ask for it specifically.

I have also had this problem with throwing up, I am almost 6 mo post op and spent all day Thursday getting fluids for dehydration. They ended up giving me Zofran and Sodium Bicarbonate due to the O2 being low in the blood. I am now trying to get my strength back up due to the muscle loss of not being able to get in the Proteins needed for muscle. Has anyone else had these problems

I am at a new hospital right now waiting on blood test results. They also did an xray of my abdomen. We shall see what the outcome is.

Thank you!