Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your response to: "but you aren't 'THAT' big!"

I attended a WL group meeting and as I walked into the room, a teen aged girl was there waiting with her mother. I heard her say OMG! and then laughter. I believed (but can't swear) that it was stated towards me. I am 5' 2" tall and weigh 215. All of the others before me were really huge ppl. I have type2, HBP, High chol, and arthritic pain in my knees. The nurse that took my weight and vitals said " I know you're having your band removed, but why are you having RNY?. You're not that big. Why don't you just get the sleeve". Well, for number one, my Dr. feels that I would have the same symptoms/ results as with the band. And number two, My insurance won't pay for it. I know the health problems I have, but ppl make me feel as though I'm crazy for thinking RNY.

Oh my. I was 210 at surgery time. Went from 251 to 248 down to that just before surgery. Around that number 210/213 any way. I'm about your height also.

Jeez ... if the person wants RNY, let them have RNY. Why does it matter? They may have their own reasons for it. Gracious.

I support your RNY. Hope it works out for you.

I attended a WL group meeting and as I walked into the room, a teen aged girl was there waiting with her mother. I heard her say OMG! and then laughter. I believed (but can't swear) that it was stated towards me. I am 5' 2" tall and weigh 215. All of the others before me were really huge ppl. I have type2, HBP, High chol, and arthritic pain in my knees. The nurse that took my weight and vitals said " I know you're having your band removed, but why are you having RNY?. You're not that big. Why don't you just get the sleeve". Well, for number one, my Dr. feels that I would have the same symptoms/ results as with the band. And number two, My insurance won't pay for it. I know the health problems I have, but ppl make me feel as though I'm crazy for thinking RNY.

Thanks swimbikerun! After reading all of these posts, I never knew that so many others were in my boat. I'm glad this this thread was started. Thanks guys

That's what we're here for.

Really, what difference does it make what surgery a person gets? Do your best, go for it. Its like where they get it done. Who cares? If they get healthier, WHY is it a big deal?

I just think that is totally incomprehensible that some insurances won't cover it, so that's why I support that. Just so wrong. It is like saying you aren't worth it to me. I can see somethings, but if a person is willing to go this route, for the love of all that's holy, give them a chance.

Besides, from what I understand there are more decent surgeons in Mexico than what I had here. My surgeon has a pretty good staff and he's a great cutter but unfortunately dealing with problems & fixing them is part and parcel of being a doctor.

When I started talking about the surgery I heard you're not that big or you're crazy. So when I actually made the decision to do it I only told a couple of people. My bmi was just barely 40.

My weight has always been evenly distributed. I have an hourglass shape and if I ever wore anthing tight around my wasit people always thought that I lost weight. Even when I was gaining. They don't expect me to have a shape.

My surgeon told me he has never had to deal with weight issues so he can only understand my struggle so much. He commended me for coming in now instead of waiting until I was sick with diabetes and high blood pressure. The nutritionist said I was only the low end of who they do wls. This is usually because people wait.

people at work know that I am off for surgery and I go back to work soon. I haven't decided how I am going to handle the questions. I want to own the decision but I am not sure I want to yell it from the roof top.

Same here. My BP was borderline high only. I had GP and that was the deciding factor.

Victoria

If I had $1 for every time I heard that, I could buy me a nice Coach bag. I heard it from so many people including other bairiatic patients. It was part of the reason why I didn't tell many people.

I like to make people feel stupid for saying stupid things, so I'd probably respond with something like, "Oh! OK. I'll just keep stacking on the lbs until I reach your appropriate level of 'big enough' to get help."

Although, I also believe people think they are complimenting others when they say that.

Also, I will not be telling anyone outside of immediate family and 1-2 friends that I am pursuing it. It's like when you're pregnant and you tell people - EVERYONE has unsolicited advice/comments, and I just don't want to hear it. So no thank you!!

Tell people/strangers etc that you had hernia surgery

I get this all the time from Co-workers. I'm 5'10" 327 lbs, wear a size 18, but very heavy chested . People tell me all the time they don't see how i can weigh as much as I do, but the scale doesn't lie, and what I want to do for my own health is not their problem.

I legit tell them ...."I have a bmi of 49 I am MORBIDLY OBESE and I refuse to live this way any longer."

@@Essence46, you got me cracking up! I want a coach purse...lol