Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Months post op - Need some exercise help

Hi All,

I am a 39yo guy living in Sydney. I had a gastric sleeve operation 4 months ago and my life has changed dramatically. I have lost about 32kg (70lb) in that time, including pre-op liquid diet and now I no longer snore, have heaps more energy and look and feel better. It hasn't all been pleasant but I should have done it years ago.

My issue is that for a personal goal, I really want to lose another 18kg (40lb) by New Years Eve. My weight loss is slowing now cause I have had my dramatic initial reduction then plateau.

I swim 4 times a week, boxing class and boot camp each once a week. Am looking at possibly adding a Bodypump weights class. I eat clean and don't drink alcohol much at all. I keep Protein levels high and hardly ever eat Pasta, potatoes or rice. I walk a lot too.

Do you think another 18kg/40lb by NYE is possible? Can it be done? Would appreciate any suggestions from people on how I might do this, particularly details about which activities may yield the best results...

Cheers,
D.

It sounds like you're doing incredible. December 31st is 82 days away, so you'd have to average a 1/2 pound a day. That's pretty aggressive. I'd think more about why 40 pounds is so important to you. Sometimes we focus on that number on the scale so much we kind of forget why we're doing what we're doing -- not just losing weight but gaining health!

Looking at your workout schedule I don't see that you have to add anything necessarily... maybe focus on really staying on task with the food choices (maybe drop the "little" alcohol?).

Best wishes!

Hi All,

I am a 39yo guy living in Sydney. I had a gastric sleeve operation 4 months ago and my life has changed dramatically. I have lost about 32kg (70lb) in that time, including pre-op liquid diet and now I no longer snore, have heaps more energy and look and feel better. It hasn't all been pleasant but I should have done it years ago.

My issue is that for a personal goal, I really want to lose another 18kg (40lb) by New Years Eve. My weight loss is slowing now cause I have had my dramatic initial reduction then plateau.

I swim 4 times a week, boxing class and boot camp each once a week. Am looking at possibly adding a Bodypump weights class. I eat clean and don't drink alcohol much at all. I keep Protein levels high and hardly ever eat Pasta, potatoes or rice. I walk a lot too.

Do you think another 18kg/40lb by NYE is possible? Can it be done? Would appreciate any suggestions from people on how I might do this, particularly details about which activities may yield the best results...

Cheers,

D.

I feel you Firefly. I'm trying to lose my last 23-28 pounds by NYE also. My weight too has slowed. I've only lost 5# in the last 7-9 weeks. I do believe it's doable for you to lose the rest of the weight by NYE but you are definitely going to have to add weight training at least 3 times a week for a minimum of 45 minutes to reach this goal.

Good Luck!

This is an older person responding....... I quit setting "I want to lose 'so many" pounds by THIS date or THAT date." Does it really matter if you lose 40 pounds by NYE or only 20 pounds by NYE? I have finally started to focus on living and doing my best, and less on reaching a goal weight by a certain date..... with all that being said, I'd maybe add daily CARDIO for calorie burn. Try including HIIT's. Best Wishes!

Agree with all this. Want to add, kill the sauce. What about carbs you are eating? Fats? In terms of swimming what do you do? What is your mileage? I would swim at least 2500. When I was doing competitions, etc. that would ramp up to about 3000-3500. Are you doing just free or putting any IM or fly in there?

have you put the food into a tracker of some sort to see calories and carbs/fat?