Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What am I going to be able to do post op? I have surgery scheduled for 11/6/14. I will be off work for three weekends and two full weeks before I return to work. But I will be home for 12 full business days. Im just wondering if I can plan to:

Drive my son to school

Go grocery shopping

Get my haircut

I know they are little things but they are things that I need to do and I am wondering when is it ok to do things? Will I be ok?

My sons birthday is 10 days after surgery so I want to at least be present for his bday party. Will I be up to sitting through a basketball game, a movie? How long until you did normal things. Can some of you post a little list and when you were able to do things so that I can have an idea?

Thanks.

I had my surgery on a Monday and I was back to normal (taking kids to school, after school activities, etc) by the next Monday. I probably could have done it a little sooner but I had my mom and husband here taking care of everything (was so nice!). GL!

I went to a baby christening 9 days post op, with a drain attached to me. I drove there and enjoyed the evening, but was not able to eat the dinner as I was still on Clear Liquids. I had fun thou. You do what your body will allow you to do.Best.

I had my surgery on Thursday - it was on an outpatient basis. The first couple of days, I really didn't want to do much other than "just be". I walked a lot, just paced around the condo and I rested. I was back at my telecommuting job 1/2 days the following Monday, working a full day on Tuesday. Riding in the car was uncomfortable when we hit bumps - I took a stuffed animal with me and held it against my tummy. I didn't drive for about a week after surgery. We flew home (a full day of flying) on Day 10 and had no issues.

I got tired easily the first 10 days or so - I took naps as I needed and rested. Remember, you're going thru major surgery - allow your body to heal.

I had surgery on Sept 14, 2014. Sept 16 I was shopping on the streets of Tijuana, a trip to costco and had lunch and dinner with the rest of the ladies that had surgery on that day, Sept 17th, more shopping, a trip to the beach with the other ladies that had surgery on Sept 14. Sept 18 went to San Diego and walked around Old Town San Diego, then caught my flight out on Sept 19 back home (I went alone). Sept 20 I did four loads of laundry, cleaned my house, vacummed, cleaned out the dishwasher, and washed all the pots and pans by hand then ran out to check on my horses. Sept 21, ran out to work a horse (ground work, I didn't ride), cleaned my truck and started loading it up to go back to work (I have to drive eight hours to get to work, then spend 16 days working in a remote location). Sept 22 I finished loading my truck, drove the eight hours to work (shopped my way there as there's two Costco's on the way), arrived at work around 7:00 pm, unloaded my truck, had a bite to eat then went to bed. I've been at work ever since, I'm not tired, I'm not sick, I'm just fine (I'm also 53 years old, so not a spring chicken).

This is not a surgery that you need to lay in bed for endless days, but everyone is different. There were five of us that had surgery on the same day, only one was in pain afterwards, and that ended the following day for her, the rest of us were all up and walking within hours of our surgery. I also drove myself to the airport and drove back home, no problem. I did all the things I normally do, except lift heavy things. I live alone, so I did have to do some things I shouldn't have, but I've had absolutely no problems.

Life doesn't have to stop, enjoy your time off, but know you can do a lot of things, your not an invalid, so have fun you took a lot of time off, appreciate it. Your body will tell you what you can and can't do.

If you have ANY questions, let me know, but remember everyone is different.

I went back to work 5 days post op. No problems but just got tired faster - because of the ittle bit I was eating I think. Could do almost everything but lift. I've noticed on threads that the heavier your start weight, the harder it seems to recover.... not sure though. Just an observation.

It all depends on your pain level. Some have a lot, some next to none. I had a lot for two weeks, then it dramatically diminished. Keep your options open but plan to spend your time resting. You will need it.

I began driving one week post. I am doing all household chores, but vacuuming was hard. I will be stripping wallpaper tomorrow and have been able to do some closet cleaning etc. but, I have mornings where I cannot get up. But, most if my time online is now during wee hours of night. I think lots can be done, but lots of flexibility is to your benefit. Lifting is what I have to be careful about. I don't think and over lift. Don't make any plans your first three days home. Just baby yourself some.

I had my surgery on a Wednesday ... Went home Thursday ... Saturday I got my haircut... Sunday went food shopping... Monday was Labor Day and Tuesday went back to work. I am a teacher. I am now five weeks post op and feel good. I am also no spring chicken ... I'm 58