Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Ladies,

So won't like this question, and that's ok with me. I'm new to this and I have a honest question. I'm not trying to step on ANYONE'S toes with this question. I see a lot of pics that peoples very successful weightloss. In some full body pics I see people who look very different up top, but below....it looks like they are the same size as before surgery-big thighs and legs. I have big thighs and legs now. My question is- Is this just how some women look after weightloss regardless of exercise. Are there workouts that can be done to get the legs in better proportion with the top part?

Obviously, you don't lose all your weight up top and don't change from the waist down. What you are seeing are proportions. If you carry your weight low, you will probably always carry your weight low. It's genetics. I still have big thighs, but also lots of loose skin on my butt and thighs, so obviously I lost a lot of fat down there. Really no loose skin up top because I didn't have as much fat up there. Went from a size 22W jeans to a size 7, so even though I'm still the same "proportions", I lost plenty down below. As for exercise, anything I do to focus on my legs will just build more muscle, and make them even bigger.

Here's my after picture...see still big thighs, but looking fabulous!

post-182221-0-80213200-1410874470_thumb.jpg

For me, I've always been a size bigger on top than on bottom. This. Is. A. Blessing! When I was at my largest, it was harder to tell, but still true. Once the weight came off, it became more apparent again. I think it's just the way I'm built. Medium tops, (or a small if it's stretchy) and small to size 4 pants. You CAN tone and work on specific areas. I ride a bike for cardio so my legs are very muscular (under the extra skin, lol) and I do push ups and crunches to help firm up the rest, but you're not going to completely change your body type with WLS.

@@Kindle - I totally agree! I'll be thrilled if I can look as great as you!!!

My legs were huge always have been I'm that person that weight comes off from top to bottom the main thing that helped my legs go down drastically was walking, it helped to slim them down and helped inches to come off. Even with a 100 pound loss I would love to see them smaller so I've continued to walk as well as added other exercises for legs.

I have always had thick, muscley legs, and now I still have thick muscley legs, lol. Ultimately though I noticed that I lost weight from all over. I can look at the pictures I took before surgery and those which I took after surgery and I do not see anywhere that has lost more than anywhere else. I just look like I shrunk everywhere.

Kindle OMG you look incredible!! Fantastic work!

Wow Kindle! Good job!

In terms of targeting certain areas, unfortunately genetics is going to have the most influence. I too carry my weight low, but I've lost weight before on my own and the weight came off proportionally. My legs were still larger, but they still skimmed down a lot. Building lean muscle is key to losing fat and boosting your metabolism. As women, we are actually kinda lucky...you will not "bulk up" unless you are a body builder lifting heavier weight with fewer reps, and with substantial nutritional support. So, unless you mean to, you will not get bulky by working out!

Thanks Slvrsax, I just saw your dance studio pic.....you look great, too!

Just FYI, My after shot was taken with plenty of flexing, strategic posing and long shorts so the flabby, lumpy legs and varicose veins don't show ;)

Thanks Slvrsax, I just saw your dance studio pic.....you look great, too!

Just FYI, My after shot was taken with plenty of flexing, strategic posing and long shorts so the flabby, lumpy legs and varicose veins don't show ;)

Nah, you look great!

If you look at my profile you will see I am opposite. Skinny butt and broad shoulders. I wear size 4 pants, but at least an 8 on top. Genetics.

And as far as weight lifting, it's really really hard for a woman to bulk up.. we lack the T ... haha...so lift away .. it is good for you, makes for sexy toned muscles and trust me, you won't accidentally look like a body builder. :)

I think I'll always have man calves :( how I wish for long and lean stems but I'm not built that way. If I could just look ok in a pair of leggings and boots I'll be good with that!

I have always had freakishly thin ankles, yet well muscled calves. I still have freakishly thin ankles and well muscled calves. I have gone from a 16 inch calf to a 15 inch one. My ankles are still 9 inches around. I've got a lot of weight in the hips/thighs. My bottom half is one size bigger than my top half. I'm always gonna be a pear with a lot of junk in my trunk and birthing hips. So far I've not lost all my boobs. But then again I'm still actively loosing. I was a 44D in the chest, now I'm a 38DD. So proportionately I've lost more around than in the actual breast.