Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Issue with very irregular bowel movements

All great feed back. I did take a member's advice and buy Miralax, with a different ingredient than Benefiber. I also bought some Fiber gummies.< /p>

Regarding the juicing. You can put Protein power in any juice drink you want. There are a number of flavor-free powders that do not change the taste of food...great for cooking. Kind of like Benefiber, only all about the Protein.< /p>

Just wanted to get the word out about "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead"...it's a great motivator for anyone - sleeved or not - but it does work really well with us sleeved folks because of flavorless Protein powder. Whoever invented that is a genius.

Once I was on general diet, I found that a morning coffee took care of keeping me regular. Now even on coffee free days I usually go. But man, the first month or two... my bowels were jacked up. I didn't do well with Fiber supplements - they just gave me terrible stomach pain and gas. For awhile I was taking senna or ex lax, but I didn't want to be on ex lax too long. So my suggestion is coffee if it is allowed in your plan and you are a drinker. Just remember to drink extra Water since it is a diuretic.

Thanks Forsythia,

I think I have going on what you experienced in your first few months. I have taken Ex Lax twice, but like you, I don't want to count on it all the time.

Was wondering if anyone has tried Protein pills instead of Protein shakes. If so, what are your thoughts?

@Rovobay: pass along any tips you have for juicing recipes. Bought all the recipe book, but sometimes a good recommendation from someone who has already done a lot of experimenting is better than what's in those books.

Thanks,
Marybeth

@@mbrinmn I watched that a few years ago and was motivated (for a while) and lost around 30#. I am thankful I have both a great juicer and a vitamix that will really help me through these post-op diet stages.

I am only day 6 but before today, nada. Then today, it 's like my body woke up and I've gone several times. Prior to my surgery, exercise and Water were my best tools for coping with bowel issues. I don 't know how things will work weeks or months out. Does walking help you any?

@@mbrinmn my backyard is basically a huge garden. I juice what I grow. recipes vary. my favorite simple and cheap juice is carrot kale apple pear. don't care for juices that are terribly veggie flavored. I just choke them down because they are healthy.

One year later I am still irregular, perfectly normal considering what and how much you are eating and drinking. More number 1 less number 2.

wow, i'm following this thread to see what else people have to say... regular to me right now (pre-op) is 2 - 3 times per day! i wonder what will happen afterwards.

i'd love to hear more about when people became regular without aids.

wow, i'm following this thread to see what else people have to say... regular to me right now (pre-op) is 2 - 3 times per day! i wonder what will happen afterwards.

i'd love to hear more about when people became regular without aids.

It's weird. I'm not uncomfortable and I don't feel sick or cramped up. It's just that I am not doing any #2. I haven't since last Saturday night. Another member recommended Miralax, which I bought but haven't tried yet. The Benefiber is NOT working! Just gives me more gas.

Hello everyone,

1. You are not consuming any where near what you ate before surgery--IF you are on solid foods yet.

2. You have to drink the Water to get the bowel movements.

3. You have to MOVE to get bowel movements.

4. Protein will cause Constipation and since getting the Protein in is what is MOST important for WLS patients, it adds to the circumstances which lead to constipation.

5. Caffeine will help BUT dehydrates you AND most surgeons want you to stay away from it for that EXACT reason. Getting Water in right after surgery is the most important thing. You have plenty of reserve energy--that's why you had WLS.

I go every few days. I don't obsess over how often I go. I take a pro-biotic every day. I get my water in and exercise. I try to incorporate some kind of vegetable/fruit Fiber in my diet BUT I am almost a year out. Keep in mind that if you just had surgery, or you are not that far out, you're not going to be at the same stage as I am.

Blessings,

Kathleen

Alleluia! Dulcolax suppositories did the trick after 10 days of nothing. It took me three suppositories over about two hours. And let's just put it this way...I'm 4 pounds lighter than when I weighed myself this morning. Wasn't really bothered by the Constipation until yesterday. Today it was worse. Now I feel so much better.

I drink green juice but is delicious ... Kale... Spinach...green apples... A few grapes... Cucumber... Celery...my unflavored Protein powder... All in my nutribullet....sometimes I add a tablespoon of plain yogurt....I make the individual bags for the week... Then in the morning it just makes things easier when I am getting ready for work. Just grab bag and mix.