Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Pre-Surgery panic attack... needs some reasurance

:Banane43:

Hi everyone... I am schedule for this Weds to have surgery. I went out tonight and had my last meal (Outback which is my absolute favorite) and on the way home start having such regret.. Regret about not being able to eat the foods I love.

I am having second thoughts now.. maybe I don't want to loose it bad enough but I am now wondering if this is the right thing. I don't know if I can do the 3 day liquid diet before surgery.

Am I simply mourning the loss??? Knowing I will never eat this way again? Yes I know it's bad but I am suddenly having panic attacks when I think about this now. I hadn't felt that way before.

Is this normal??? Need some to tell me this is normal. I am totally loosing it... Why would I be freaking out now?

Mourning in CA.

Kitty

Dr Ninh Nguyen

UCI Med Center - Orange CA

5-9 ????

Don't look at it that way!

You're not giving up the foods you love. You'll just be eating less of them when all is said and done.

I'm being banded on Monday and I fully intend to, once I'm back on solid food, to enjoy food. My guy and I are all about eating out and enjoying a meal together. In fact, this last two weeks on the liquid diet, we both realize how much we enjoy that part of our lives.

At my pre-op appointment last Thursday, the nurse was telling me exactly this - you don't have to give things up, you eat less and you'll be savoring and enjoying it even more!

Oh thank you NVgirl... I think that is a better way for me to think about it. My wonderful hubby said it is only temporary and most of the food is. I know this but I still am freakin out a bit.

I absolutely LOOOVVVEEEEE popcorn and I can't have that anymore. I will miss that the most. We eat out 6 out of 7 days so I know I will miss that as well. BUT.... I will eat it again (except for popcorn). Thanks for reminding me of that.

Is Wine on the liquid diet before surgery??? :Banane43: I need it to calm my nerves.

Kitty

I hadn't heard about not eating popcorn.. what's up with that?:pop2:

And wine is liquid! I say a glass won't hurt! :Banane43:

oooo, I'll ask my doc on Monday about popcorn... I could live on nibbling on the edges! :Banane43:

The pre-surgery panic is perfectly normal. HOWEVER, you are right in taking a step back if and postponing it for a week or two if you are seriously having doubts. Make no mistake that this is a life-altering decision. With that said, I've been banded a month and now over the roughest part (I hope!). I have been eating the same 6 or 7 soft/liquid foods for a month or more and am so ready to move to solids. For the most part I know now that I will be perfectly content to eat small portions of whatever I choose. Yes, I'll miss bread and starches...but I've given them up before and know that they are truly addictive substances. I NEED to give them up!! This tool helps keep me in line and I love it! As for the sodas, I am also grateful that I am simply not allowed to have them. I have enjoyed trying new things and all the different crystal light flavors, etc. Right now my absolute fave is berry Propel with fresh squeezed lemon...I drink it all day, every day, and easily get my 64 oz in. The major added bonus is that I'm also withdrawing from all that caffeine which is helping to also control my hunger!!! It really has been a great experience so far. I am very excited about the future.

Oh, and by the way, today I hit ONE-DERLAND!

As for the sodas, I am also grateful that I am simply not allowed to have them. I have enjoyed trying new things and all the different crystal light flavors, etc. Right now my absolute fave is berry Propel with fresh squeezed lemon..

Have you tried the flavored diet snapples?? they have a grape pom granite one that is delicious (and i am not a pom granite fan in the least)! I have only been able to find the good flavors in the variety packs at wal mart or the grocery store.

I think we all go though the thoughts of not being able to eat things ever again. I eat everything I did prior to surgery only smaller amounts.

I eat popcorn all the time, I was never told I couldn't have it and it goes down great for me.

You just have to experiment with things and see what works for you. Just because you ate something this week and didn't do good with it, doesn't mean a month from now you can't eat it. My band lets me eat things some days and other days it won't.

Good Luck!

Go with your gut. Once the band is on you will want to work with it and not against it. I struggle sometimes with wanting to eat a big juicy steak, but I just have to look in the mirror, see my results and I am just fine.

If you go through with it you will get a whole new perspective on food. You won't be able to eat like you do now even if you wanted too, so I don't think the struggle will be as bad as you think.

Best of luck.

Jane d

I am being banded in two days...Hey I know the panic attack is here for me as well..I ate my last large meal yesterday....I felt totally guilty and depressed with myself. I too know what your saying about "morning" the loss of a dear friend..food! Thanks for the posts that you all give..it truely does give me hope.Shar

Thank you all for responding. I feel better about the surgery today than I did last night. I was really freaking out last night.

So far 10 hrs into my liquid diet I am just going thru the caffeine withdraw. I had gotten myself down to one can a day in the AM and thought I would be fine until tonight but boy o boy.. Headache central!!! I thought about the Caffeine Water I have seen at Wal-Mart to help me ease my way to total removal. I unfortunately have what my Doc called Super taste buds and can't drink/eat the same way most people do. Tea for example.... just sends shivers up and down my body. I can make it with 2 tea bags and still the flavor just sends my saliva glands to town. I am going to go buy all sorts of different flavored liquids to see if I can find a few I like. I am a habitual person so I don't need a lot of variety. I have ate Toast & Dr Pepper for Breakfast for the last 8 years and never tired of it... so hopefully I will find some good flavors.

Thanks for telling me about the popcorn. I had already researched "Hull-less" popcorn for me to purchase later when I can eat. I could literally eat popcorn every single day of my life and it not phase me. So maybe there is hope and I won't have to just nibble the ends.

Well, I need to go buy my Pre & Post surgery food and have it ready. Weds will be here sooner than I think/want. Just kidding... I think. Thank you again for everyone who wrote back responses. It is good knowing I'm not weird with my feelings and everyone has had some morning of sorts with the new changes we go thru.

I look forward to sharing my journey and learning from those who have already started their journey. Have a great day!

Kitty