Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have chosen to only tell my boyfriend, who is my support person ( no family in Chicago), my mom, and one of my sisters. My close friends, would be supportive, as one of their husbands recently had it, and another one of our friends had it last year. I won't get Any questions(on my weight loss) , because i will not go home until Christmas, and nobody has seen me since April. As far as my coworkers, I have not told anyone, nor do I plan to. The Monday before I have my surgery I have preop, I plan on going to my apt. And then afterwards tell my supervisor, my doctor is scheduling me for surgery the following Monday. Not going to go into details. They are supportive, and I work with good people, but I am a private person, and don't want to talk about it. I don't want to be the ambassador for wls.

Edited by jmsgal

I told everyone I knew on Facebook and relatives. They are all supportive. I am five weeks post op. I've lost 47 pounds.

I have a few people in my circle who have said things about other people we have known who have had it done that it was the easy way out so we only told who needed to know in case something went wrong so my husband would have help. It seems like people are supportive of weight loss in general not always how you get there, whether it's concern out of lack of understanding of RNY or they wish they had done it too? However getting the surgery done is personal & you should have a good support system so tell people/talk about it with people if you think it will help you. Or seek out a counselor to help you sort out your feelings about how so & so will react to it. You may find like I did that telling my jeweler why I needed a ring guard was easier then explaining the real reason I am getting surgery on 9/8 to my mother in-law or best friend; you'll just know who'll support you better.

I told my brother a couple weeks ago and he was glad I was doing something and I just told my mom and dad yesterday. I was worried that they would think I was taking the easy way out. I also thought they would try and talk me out of it, which is why I told them after my pre-op visit. I was surprised that they were happy I was getting somet help. It seems the more people I tell, the better I feel about the surgery. I might not let me coworkers know until they notice I'm losing weight and ask. I'm not friends with them and I feel they really wouldn't care anyway. There is no support for me at work.

I've been very open with everyone in my life. I figured since it was no secret I've been obese pretty much my whole life, it would be very obvious when my body started to change. I don't mind answering questions as I find my experience is helpful for others. I have received nothing but support and positive feedback. If anyone disagrees with my decision, they have had the good sense to keep their opinion to themselves.

So far I have been extremely quiet about it. I think I want the surgery scheduled before I slowly start to tell my close family. My son and fiance know...and my Aunt that just had a double mastectomy for breast cancer. I kinda want to hold it close to my heart to ensure that everything goes smoothly. There's always someone that wants to rain on your parade and this they cannot have. Still waiting on a call from the surgery scheduler...she is really starting to be a source of my frustration. Schedule me already!! Oh sorry, got off track...my jealous cousin was very negative talking about all the nasty extra skin I will have. I'm determined to prove them wrong! Best to all!

Edited by MzBrightEyez1

Wow, awesome!

I work in the clinic where I doctor, and initially the only people who knew were the ones working the day I came in to the doctor for a referral. As time has gone on, I have told the people that I am closest with, which included the rest of my coworkers.. They have all been supportive. I am currently waiting on approval from my insuarance company.

I had a little bit of a rough time getting my mom on board onnnly because she is a nurse and she freaks out about surgeries and medical procedures knowing what could go wrong.....but after she calmed down from her OCD nurse attack she was supportive. I only opened up to coworkers when I asked my boss how our fmla works and she asked do u mind if I akso what you are having done and I just blurted out weight loss surgery and was surprised I had no snese of embarrassment or regret for telling her i then told a few other coworkers that I talk with regularly. I am not having an issue telling people I think because I'm so excited to start my life that I should have had all along that I want to tell people!

Everyone thinks I had a hernia repair, only my partner and 4 closest friends know the truth. I did actually have the repair along with the sleeve, so it's only a half fib!

The hardest part is eating out with work colleagues, I'm sure that some of them suspect that I've had something done. Still the best decision I ever made though.