Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you don't take protein shakes/ bars

I am vegan and do not like any of the Protein Shakes I have tried. I am wondering what the absolute minimum required amount of Protein is daily?

Thanks!

i have been told that 60 is what most people require for basic metabolic functions...learned that in nursing school actually, and my Protein goal my nut gave me is just a little above that!

While you are healing you should really have 60 grams. There are vegan friendly Protein options out there though, you REALLY need to take in enough protein to let your body heal from this major surgery!

After you are out of the recovery phase see http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html. I have not seen where in the medical research it requires that someone needs a higher level than any one else. Or even justifying the 60 grams.

There are hemp, rice, pea and sprouted seed Protein products out there. I'm not a vegetarian, and most of my shakes are whey / milk based Proteins, but I like to mix up my Protein sources to give my body variety. I love the Garden of Life Raw Protein and Raw Fit products (whole food based....protein from sprouted seeds). And I just ordered a jar of Spiru-Tein banana (soy protein) from the Vitamin Shoppe to check out.

Just remember, the less protein you eat, the more fat and carbs you are eating. Protein is better for weight loss and general health (muscle building, cell repair, immune system functions, etc.)

Great post. As an FYI: Vega, Sun Warrior, Plant fusion, Raw Protein, Lifetimes Life Basics is also pretty cheap.

Also see http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein/.

Btw, I sprinkle the powders in stuff. Doesn't have to be the pre mixed shake. I can't handle them either.

I found this formula in several places....

How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg

2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = Protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights

154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg

70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day

{Using this formula, at my current weight I should get 54-121g protein/day. (I don't just sit around all day and I'm not an avid exerciser/weight lifter, so My actual requirement is in the middle somewhere.) And immediately post op I weighed a lot more so my minimum daily requirement would have been closer to 80g. So the 60g goal is actually pretty low in my case}

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches