Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

post op food shopping..help!

Im having surgery Wednesday and tomorrow im going grocery shopping. What are some key items I should buy for the first and second week post op?

i did broths for the first... at least 4 days to a week. Beef broth was a favorite. Watch the sodium though, in some of them. I'd recommend getting low sodium, and if you need a little more for taste, you can add it yourself. Also, what really got me through the first week, and I still do now (a month out) is cranberry and apple and grape juice (no sugar added or low/no sugar depending on your taste) and freezing them in ice trays. First of all, it allows you to chew without actually eating, and the sugars give you more energy. You should really do your Protein shakes during this time but really thin these out and only do about 1-2 ounces at a time sipping slowly, Also, I suggest 2% to whole milk. Why? Well for me, and this could just be a personal experience... it gives you more calories, again, for energy. And it coats your stomach better. I had really bad gas pains and cramping in my stomach the first week in the middle of the night like clock work, and a sip or two of whole milk made it so much better. Now everyone will differ. Get just a small thing of it so you don't waste a whole gallon or half gallon, unless you have someone that'll drink it with you, then that's fine. Cause you'll only get through maybe a pint in the first week. I also added it to the broths.. mm, so good.

Concentrate on your protiens. When you get to thicker liquids, I liked thined out bean Soup (completely blended) or squash bisque, I might even combine the two. so completely blended thin Soups will work well for the first two weeks. **WARNING** you will get sooo bored. Lol, sorry to say, but I did. I got really really bored. But push through it the best you can. About 2 ounces at a time, and I would recommend every 2-3 hours (while you're awake of course) to try and get something in your stomach to avoid acid build up which is usually the culrpit of cramping.

If you have flavorless Protein powder, add it to everything. you don't have to haul out in the first week and get those 60 grams of Protein that is recommended daily... you're only gonna get like.. 300 calories a day. But get protein in every time if you can.

Also.. pick up some gas-x tablets. I was taking those evey 6 hours or so. especially in the middle of the night. I recommend the mint cream flavored chewables. Firstly, they taste really good.. I dunno about the others but I really liked these. Second.. they were so smooth, I had no trouble with grittyness, they melted really well and my stomach was fine with them. I got the actual Gas-X brand. It says not to take more than 4 tablets a day, but I was sometimes doing 6 in the very beginning... I had no adverse effects, and I didn't need them for more than the first 7-10 days really.

I hope this helped! Happy trails!

When you finally graduate to soft pureed foods... I did really well with thinned mashed potatoes... and canned tuna with low fat mayo. I'm still eating it, I've moved up to a few other things too, like cottage cheese, ripe avocado, and white fish. All those soft soft foods that you don't have to chew much of. Once you get to this stage you'll find things will be SOOO much easier. really and truly. Just get past that Soup nonsense and you'll be golden. Take everything niiice and slow when eating.

Thank u soooo much! This really helped me out alot. I think I may just try thr broth and milk sounds like it wouldnt be bad.. also, u didnt do any jellos or pudding? And what about cream Soup?

Amarie sugarfree Popsicles and sugar free Jello were my survivor foods lol just because it has more of a solid texture. Broths tend to get very boring especially after drinking them for a whole preop. I also drank a lot of crystal light and no calorie diet green tea and the Water I drank had to be cold so I stocked up on water bottles and tossed a few in freezer! Good luck!

For me, personally, I'm not a fan of Jello, but it's an option! I completely forgot about that, since I didn't eat any of it. And the popcicles, but again, making your own from your favorite juices is 1. Less expensive, and 2. tastes better because... well, it's your favorite juice! And if you make your own, then you know there's no added nonsense. I'd skip pudding until closer to the end of your 2 week liquids, because it can be really thick and can irritate the tummy.

As far as the cream Soups go, give it a try, but I'd thin it out with milk or even the broth. I didn't tolerate it too well in the first week or so, but that could've just been me. I could eat it the second week though. You can get your favorites from campbells condenced if you'd like, and puree them. That's what I did. I'd recommend potato, mushroom, or anything that'll blend really well. I tried the cream of asparagus and because it's so fiberous it didn't quite puree as well as I'd like.

sugar free choc pudding, cream Soups. popcicles, instant grits, yogurt, cocoa wheats, then went to bean Soup, bisque, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, refried Beans with cheese, corned beef hash, mashed potatoes, cottage cheese.< /p>

slowly moved some fish into my 'blended'soft' hybrid phase and then some ground meat and shredded cheeses. then egg salad, sloppy joe, meat sauces. then crackers, toast, Peanut Butter, kraft singles, etc.....now i'm 6 wks out and supposed to be on a regular diet. the only foods i have not done yet are the stringy meats and 'raw' carbs- ie untoasted or non-crunchy...

I know we don't know each other, but I'm so excited for you! I lost 20 pounds in the first 2 weeks, and it's made a giant difference in how I feel. Don't be shocked if you hit a wall though, for a bit. I've been stuck at 280 for the last week and a half. It's normal. Just thought I'd throw in that little tid bit there. Everyone goes through that stall as your body is adjusting.

I got thru the first couple of wks with the carb master yogurt no fruit inside just creamy get these only at keychain stores, sf jellos, I go tee the simple truth tomatoes bisque Soup an th www butternut squash squash soup also at Kroger...there organic...I used the pure Protein brand drinks pikd them up at Wal-Mart. ..that's what I lived on for 2 wks...ull do great...if he's fixing ur hernia u will have a ruff first wk...just forwarning you...every sip I took was painful. .it wasn't f t I'm tummy..but he hernia repair. .I used gas x strips. ..I took them to the hospital from home...I took my heating. Pad..an chap stick. I forget all I took...there is a subheading on hospital list..chk it out it's great! Best wishes keep uses posted. Hang in there ur new life is starting! I'll b 4 wks Tuesday I've dropped 38 pds as of today! I'm thrilled an feeling really good. Fatigue yes in the late afternoon. .but my internists says it'll take about it t 6 months or longer to heal good inside. .:)

I got thru the first couple of wks with the carb master yogurt no fruit inside just creamy get these only at keychain stores, sf jellos, I go tee the simple truth tomatoes bisque Soup an th www butternut squash squash soup also at Kroger...there organic...I used the pure Protein brand drinks pikd them up at Wal-Mart. ..that's what I lived on for 2 wks...ull do great...if he's fixing ur hernia u will have a ruff first wk...just forwarning you...every sip I took was painful. .it wasn't f t I'm tummy..but he hernia repair. .I used gas x strips. ..I took them to the hospital from home...I took my heating. Pad..an chap stick. I forget all I took...there is a subheading on hospital list..chk it out it's great! Best wishes keep uses posted. Hang in there ur new life is starting! I'll b 4 wks Tuesday I've dropped 38 pds as of today! I'm thrilled an feeling really good. Fatigue yes in the late afternoon. .but my internists says it'll take about it t 6 months or longer to heal good inside. .:)

Thank u thank u thank u! No hernia this way though.. or I hope they dont find one. Im excited myself yet scared but im ready for the change. Congratulations in tour weight loss, thats greatx I cant wait to say the same :)

I am on Clear liquids for 2 weeks post op! Wonder why I can't have pudding. And no protien for me until 3 rd week in soups!

I'd love some cold sf pudding right now?de01

Check into that im pretty sure u can have pudding.. all doctors are different. Your on a 2week preop and im on a 2day preop that kind of scares.me too but ive came across others who were doing the same