Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting from scratch... But with a WAY better attitude this time!

Hello I have been looking for a post just like this I've been banded for three years and I've been struggling I always think the band doesn't work but it's a tool I have to work with. I never was a person that throw up a lot but I just never saw my scale move much a total of 50 lost and gained 25 back . Please tell me what and how you got back on track Please help me

I am glad your back,and you have not given up. Well for me I just got back to the pain in the knees again. That was the reason I did it in first place. I read some post on this site , told me about dr obrien video on youtube. I found new dr who would give me a fill. Learned a lot from nutritionist , then let my band do some of the work. I joined a gym , I go 5 times a week. Started 10 minutes on bike , then 10 on elyptical.now I do 10 bike and 30 elyptical . I work some weights three times a week. The food is easy 80 Protein , little to no carbs a day.

The only other thing to help you is stay on site, get motivated by reading others stories, you can do it again, the band is a tool, you have to make it work.

Great write up bandedinbama. I'm 4 years post op and have lost 40 of the 75 lbs I wanted to lose but I've been at or around the same weight for 3 years now. I eat comfort food or slippage food as I call it. I eat around the band and throw up when I don't. Feel like crap all the time. Just not fun. Today starts a new chapter. liquids first then back to the rules. Thanks again for writing this. I'm not alone and that in itself helps.

Thank you for sharing this I'm so happy that I FOUND this post!!!! My issues if you do not mind I will share my stroy I was doing great with my wls in [2009] when I had it done I lost almost 50lbs in the first few months of getthing it done, then I ended up having knee issues that kept me from workingout, once I figured out it was back issue causing the knee issue I got back on track but into funk of not wanting to work out and I worked in nursing home that time so I GOT into to the bad food habit again I was like on my band will fix this, whelp it went from knee issues to finding out it was my back then to hurting my back my first year out I did pretty good now fast track to 2012 I'm like what is going on I'm losing weight but not like I was my wls DR dose not want to see me till I lose 20lbs then I started with the worst foot pain in my life during this time I turned to yoga walking biking hiking zumba [but not changing me dite] wondering why am I not losing weight and why the first year I great restriction on my band. Well we find out my foot issues I lost my job in 2013 of couse over the course of hte year not begin ableto work out let along pay attion to wht I am eating, then today at work it hit me I'm not working with my band but against it and your post hit home to me, I'm going to take it back to basics again because I know that will work. Thank you for sharing your story you have helped me and best of luck to you I hope you keep us updated.

PS I do not feel alone now

i am in the same boat as you sweetie....maybe we can do this liquid diet together and get back on the wagon and keep each other honest...lol do you go and exercise?

I'm glad I came across this! I really needed to read it.

Did 'starting over' still provide you with appropriate restriction? No injuries to stomach or band from vomiting?

I'm so glad I found this post. I had my band placed 5 years ago never lost more than 30 lbs, was frustrated and angry, then I gained 20 back and have been in limbo of 5 lbs up and down. I started to suffer from horrible reflux, I vomited every day. I finally went back to the surgeon I was sure my band had slipped. NOPE! all my fault I was making poor choices and had thrown my diet plan to the wind....no wonder I failed. I had some Fluid removed yesterday, and really reflected about my journey. I'm currently on liquids todsay, Protein Shakes andsoups. I'm trying to pretend its 5 years ago and the journey is just beginning. I had no reflux last night which is phenomenal. MD appt again in 6 weeks. I spent a year afraid of going to MD because I had gained most weight back......I needed the help of my team to succeed.

Thank you all for your comments, I too, had my band put in several years ago. I did well at first and then multiple back/leg surgeries kept me off my feet, but nothing was wrong with my elbows, they kept putting "pity" foods in my mouth. I have been slowly gaining back my weight. Well, today I decided to do just as you said "start over" I have a re-start from my dr. and it is like you said - 4 days liquid, 3 days soft, then back on portions - Protein, PROTEIN, PROTEIN. Good luck and I hope to keep up with your journey, and achieve success with you. : ) addy

Thank you all for these posts!! I was banded in 2012...lost almost 50 pounds. I am so proud of myself and was living a great LAP BAND life style. In the past few months, I have been acting like I can eat the "normal" way! As a result, I have gained about 8 pounds. I cannot let this go on! I am a teacher and devoting my summer to getting back on the LAP Band way of eating. I cannot allow myself to go back to that way of eating. Before I know it I will have gained back all those 50 pounds I lost. I am going back to basics and making my lap band friendly recipes. I did not suffer thru that surgery to allow myself to go backwards! Thanks again for sharing! Good luck to all!!