Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

General questions 6 mths out

Hi Everyone i have some questions for people 6 mths or more out:

1. Protein - still cant get more than 40 grms per day, dont do Protein shakes and really struggle, any suggestions?

2. Reflux - still have some symptons not every day, has anyone found this to get better with time?

3. hair Loss - mine started at about 3-4 mths still falling out, does anyone know when it eases?

4. Morning blah - i wake up some mornings and just feel blah an hour later all good, anyone else wake up not feeling 100%

Any replies greatly appreciated.....

I downloaded my fitness pal and make sure I get between 60 to 90 grams of Protein a day by eating a lot of high protein foods like salmon deli meats Greek yogurt... Cheese.. P3.. Egg whites.. Pure protein bars.. I rarely eat too many carbs and try to stick to good carbs...veggies a small amount.. Some fruit like watermelon or cantaloupe. I have not had any Gerd or reflux. I measure everything!! 3/4 cup or 6oz is all I can fit! I am shedding a lot as well I hear at around 6 months it starts to come back but not sure.. I feel ok when I get up.. But I have a routine in the morning and I don't feel any different than before surgery.. Haha never have been a morning person!! I was sleeved 4/23 SW 270 OW 250 CW 203 Stalled now for a week... Tasting ONEderland!! Hahaha Get your protein in!!! It's important!!

Edited by Nicey2u

Hi Everyone i have some questions for people 6 mths or more out:

1. Protein - still cant get more than 40 grms per day, dont do Protein shakes and really struggle, any suggestions?

2. Reflux - still have some symptons not every day, has anyone found this to get better with time?

3. hair Loss - mine started at about 3-4 mths still falling out, does anyone know when it eases?

4. Morning blah - i wake up some mornings and just feel blah an hour later all good, anyone else wake up not feeling 100%

Any replies greatly appreciated.....

I am 10 months out.

1. Protein - My intake varies on a daily basis. Its dependent on where I am, what I'm doing, etc. etc. I don't do Protein Shakes either, but on average, I hit the 50grms per day.

2. Reflux - Sadly, I was one of the unlucky few that got reflux after the operation. I take 20mg of Omeprazole, pretty much every morning. Couldn't be without it. Apparently I should try and stop the omeprazole, work through the reflux rebound and see if it will settle. Sadly, however, I don't fancy going through that particularly horrendous pain barrier. Maybe I'll give it a go when I'm further out.

3. Hairloss - Yep, mine fell out. Not all of it, but a lot. Started in month 3, abated at the 7 month mark. This was largely due (I believe), to my increasing my Iron and red meat intake. I was advised to do this by my doctor and as soon as I did - things improved greatly.

4. Morning - I have never been a morning person. Things haven't changed! What I will say, however, is that my 'appetite' does not kick in until late morning.. And picks up significantly in the late afternoon/evening. Not ideal, but it is what it is...

I was sleeved 12/2/13 and seem to have stalled for a good month now...ugh! hair still shedding and feeling tired a lot. Took a break from exercising however I started back up yesterday by walking again hopefully will get some energy back.

I have difficulties getting in all my Protein and on occasion will have a shake or drink an Adkins protein chocolate shake (more like milk), it's delish!

SW: 243

CW: 179

GW: 150

I'm 18 months out, and still do a Protein shake every day. With it, (it has 30 gm of protein) I get around 75 gms a day. I'd suggest searching for one you can tolerate.

I had reflux before surgery, and for a long time after, but it seems to have gotten better. I'm off all meds for that.

I had horrible hair loss. I lost more than half, beginning around 4 months, and it continued for at least 6 months, and then stopped. It didn't start growing back in until after a year, and it's still thinner than it was. It does seem to continue to get better. All of my labs have always been good.

I felt pretty rough in the first few weeks post op, but nothing since I fully healed. I can't offer any advice on that one, unless maybe you are a little dehydrated? Try drinking a little more before bed time.

1. I'm 7 months out and have a Protein smoothie everyday. At least 30-40g Protein each. Couldn't get enough protein without the shakes. There are so many flavors and varieties out there, I would try and find some you like. I had a Syntrax nectar cherry lemonade yesterday on my horseback ride. Going to have premier chocolate with milk and a banana today. I also make protein dreamsicles with vanilla Protein powder and OJ and protein ice cream with cake batter Protein Powder, gingerbread Torani Syrup and chopped almonds. I Add unflavored protein powder to pancake mix, quiche and casseroles.

2. I took Omeprazole 40mg daily for 2 months then weaned to 20mg for a couple weeks before stopping. Other than taking a very occasional Rolaids, I fortunately haven't had acid problems.

3. I haven't had any hairloss. You need to get more protein....main reason for hairloss. That, and stress.

4. Feel pretty good in the morning. In fact, since having surgery, I'm getting a good night's sleep without waking up in the middle of the night for the first time in years. I drink Sleepytime Extra tea at bedtime.

Edited by Kindle

1. I'm 7 months out and have a Protein smoothie everyday. At least 30-40g Protein each. Couldn't get enough protein without the shakes. There are so many flavors and varieties out there, I would try and find some you like. I had a Syntrax nectar cherry lemonade yesterday on my horseback ride. Going to have premier chocolate with milk and a banana today. I also make protein dreamsicles with vanilla protein powder and OJ and protein ice cream with cake batter protein powder, gingerbread Torani Syrup and chopped almonds. I Add unflavored protein powder to pancake mix, quiche and casseroles.

2. I took Omeprazole 40mg daily for 2 months then weaned to 20mg for a couple weeks before stopping. Other than taking a very occasional Rolaids, I fortunately haven't had acid problems.

3. I haven't had any hairloss. You need to get more protein....main reason for hairloss. That, and stress.

4. Feel pretty good in the morning. In fact, since having surgery, I'm getting a good night's sleep without waking up in the middle of the night for the first time in years. I drink Sleepytime Extra tea at bedtime.

I'm the same, just 7 weeks out but I love mixing my Protein Shakes with different flavors of injury protein powder, sugar free flavored syrup and either 1% milk out almond coconut milk. I love the variety and can get in a lot of protein first thing in the morning. I stick with protein all day, no bad carbs or sweets.

Ok, I lied. I didn't have the chocolate banana shake because I didn't have any milk. Went with a Premier vanilla with Torani pumpkin pie Syrup instead. First time I had that combo....YUM!

Thank you all for your replies, they really mean so much to me. Just one more question when do people further out stop tracking?? I dont want to spend the rest of my life tracking to me thats like dieting, i just want to live and say i will have this or that today......

P.s not great at tracking now anyway :)

Thank you all for your replies, they really mean so much to me. Just one more question when do people further out stop tracking?? I dont want to spend the rest of my life tracking to me thats like dieting, i just want to live and say i will have this or that today...... P.s not great at tracking now anyway :)

I'm only three months out but I'm sure there will come a time when I have it down what I can and can't... Should and shouldn't eat.. Until that day comes I am tracking!! Hahaha

Thank you all for your replies, they really mean so much to me. Just one more question when do people further out stop tracking?? I dont want to spend the rest of my life tracking to me thats like dieting, i just want to live and say i will have this or that today......

P.s not great at tracking now anyway :)

For me, I can never stop tracking. The day I stop is the day I start gaining weight. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones, but most people track in some way or another.

You're going to get a lot of different answers on the tracking. I know some vets who swear by it as a long-term tool.

I had reflux before and have it now. I'm on Dexilant. I got the advice to try to cut back when I am comfortable. I already notice though that the symptoms start popping up a little when I'm late with my dosage. Not sure what to do about that yet...

I am seven months out and still track everything I eat. For me it is necessary. It keeps me on track. I have been able to steadily increase calories over time as my physical needs have changed and MFP has helped me do it.

I don't think I would be able to reach Protein goals without having my morning shake

Hi Everyone i have some questions for people 6 mths or more out: 1. Protein - still cant get more than 40 grms per day, dont do Protein Shakes and really struggle, any suggestions? 2. Reflux - still have some symptons not every day, has anyone found this to get better with time? 3. Hair loss - mine started at about 3-4 mths still falling out, does anyone know when it eases? 4. Morning blah - i wake up some mornings and just feel blah an hour later all good, anyone else wake up not feeling 100% Any replies greatly appreciated.....

I am almost 18 mo out. I either drink a shake or make some type of food that I can add a scoop of protein powder to most days. I got off the PPI early so can't help you there. My hair loss started around the same time frame and continued for about 5 months. Now I have what looks like a gazillion fly always in new growth. I also found that I would dehydrate overnight and had to keep Water by my bedside to sip before I fell asleep and anytime I woke during the night as well as upon waking. Drinking some water before getting up and moving for the day, really helped a lot. I still track my daily intake via My Fitness Pal. If I didn't, I would never meet my water and protein goals but I use it more loosely as I no longer weight all of my food. So it helps me know I am in the ballpark calorically rather than being so strict or precise. Now that I can eat more, it is much easier to have a complete calorie fest and gain weight without really trying.

I'm 7 months out and tracked fluids and Protein for the first two months only. Since then I just keep a tally of what I drink in my head to make sure I'm getting 64oz or more. And since I get at least 30-40g Protein from my daily smoothie and I always eat protein first, I don't bother tracking that anymore. I've never tracked calories or carbs or fat or measured my portions. I just use common sense, read labels and make good choices. If I wanted to track everything, I could do weight watchers or any number of other fad diets. I had surgery to make things easier.

I drink Water, take my Vitamins and follow the basic meal plan...a balanced diet of protein first, veggies, fruit and whole grains. I limit Pasta, rice, bread, junk food, alcohol and sweets. I eat "bad" foods sometimes but in moderation and I never feel guilty about it. I eat when I 'm hungry and only until I'm satisfied, not full. That's usually only a difference of a couple bites, but I think it's important to not always shoot for being full. It's the full feeling that got me fat in the first place. My 6 month bloodwork results were great, I feel fabulous, I'm 12 pounds under surgeon's goal and 2 pounds under my personal goal, so this method works for me.

Edited by Kindle