Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are your opinions on eating avocados?

Avocados are delicious. They seem to be nutritious. But they are high-fat and high-cal but supposedly a "good fat." Do you view avocados as a good food for WLS patients? Would one avocado per day be too much? I would appreciate your opinions and experiences.

Track your food intake and you will find out if one avo is to much. It would be for me.

Yes that is to much.

I eat gucamole and that only two ounces at a time and not often.

This is okay with my nutritionist.

So if I were you I would ask the nutritionist about how much they think is reasonable.

I haven't had surgery yet, but my NUT told me a great trick to use with tuna, take a avacado and mash it up, then take two tbs and mix it with the tuna instead of mayo. ??? sounded good to me...I have yet to try it, but I eat tuna without bread, so this may work for me.... I love avacado

Love avacado's!!! I can't eat guacamole, but can eat just the fruit, however; must be eaten in moderation. It is a healthy fat, yet fattening.

On WL mode, I didn't eat more than 1/8 large avocado with meals. In maintenance, I sometimes eat as much as 1/2 avocado per day. It's not a regular part of my diet, more like an occasional treat in salads, on a sandwich, or just smushed up with a little salt.

My post-op plan allowed 1/8 avocado as a healthy fat with lunch or dinner once I was able to eat enough solid Protein ( about month three for me).

Lynda

i ate guac both pre op and have had a little now, post op too. it's a wonderful mufa fat and so good for us. only problem is there isn't a lot of Protein and by the time i get all my Protein i'm full!

both my nut and surgeon told me that avocado is a great healthy fat option and should be measured and guidelines followed. i believe my post op diet, once i go to 'full diet' is 1/4 of an avocado per day as a healthy fat. i have an entire booklet about each of the food groups on the full diet and what is a normal serving. good luck!

I love avocado and eat it regularly. It has healthy fat (which we need to absorb Vitamins properly and for other reasons) and has lots of Fiber too. But never more than about 50 grams per day. Otherwise it's just too many calories to fit into my plan.

I make an avocado dip every once in a while. I only eat a 2oz serving at a time along with a 1oz serving of chips.< /p>

my NP recommended to add it smoothies for a creamy texture earlier on. she said it would also help with Constipation.< /p>

Everything in moderation.

The only thing I have been instructed as forbidden is drinking soda or using a straw. The rest is up to me.

Also depends what stage your in on your new life style. When you are in the first stages after being banded an avocado is a nice soft mushy choice and you can afford a bit more calories/fat into your choices you make for the day.

It all boils down to the same thing calories consumed verses calories burned.

Obviously an avocado is a much more tasty and splendid way to get in nutrients than many other high fat foods.

I just started today and puréed foods. However I was thinking that once I get to regular food I thought some turkey spread with avocado and eaten like that would be really good

I buy these little cups of guacamole from costco, there's probably a 1/4 cup in there and they're individually packaged, they usually last a month in the fridge, if you can find something like that to help with the Portion Control part of it.

I know a couple people said to eat them with chips? I didn't think I'd be able to eat chips that true? Otherwise do you dip cucumbers in it or just eat the avo on piece of turkey with lettuce. just curious just started on puréed today so I'm looking at expanding my horizons over the next few weeks.

The problem with avocados is there are a lot of varieties & they differ in calories, carbs & Protein. I eat Hass avocado grown in California. Florida avocados are a different variety. I ate avocados pre op & I eat them now but in small amounts. A medium Hass has 250 calorie, 13 carbs & 3 Protein. I have to watch my carbs so I'm careful about how much I eat. Keep a food diary. Very important. I have MyFitnessPal on my iPhone & it has helped me a great deal. Good luck with your journey.