Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone from texas have DS

Hi ladies,

I had the DS on 9/22/2014 at Barker. Dr. Hodges did my surgery as well. My starting weight was 405, my highest was 415, on day of surgery my weight was 385. I am now down to 299 and it's been just over 4 months. I'm currently at a steady stall, but I'm not focusing on that. From what I've read, you have your first rapid weight loss during the first 3 months, then may taper off between 3 and 6 months, then may see more weight loss around months 6-9.. but of course everyone is different and if you add exercise you lose more. I had my fair share of complications, but not from the surgery itself, but from how my body reacted. I'm on the mend now and doing better.

If you are from the Lubbock area we have a special support group that meets once a month and has a closed/secret Facebook page to ask questions and stay informed. Let me know if you are interested.

I'm not in Lubbock but I am interested in joining the secret page. I really have no one I talk to who knows what I am going through from experience. Would be nice to connect with others.

Edited by Mumto2Boys

I'll also give a quick update on myself. Since my surgery on Aug 18, 14, I've now lost about 112lbs and would like to lose another 30-40lbs. But I feel and look better and have had to get rid of all the clothes I previously wore. I've gone down from a 26 to a 14.

My biggest struggle has been getting enough food in period. I get nauseaus a lot and throw up quite frequently. If I get on a kick of throwing up, it seems to escalate to where I can keep almost nothing down, until I get my fluids back up and then I can slowly start keeping food down again.

I have lost a ton of weight, but I have missed just being able to EAT, at times. Sometimes I fantasize about eating things and then I take a bite of it and feel immediately nauseated.

I actually have no issues with what I can "allow" myself to eat, it seems as if my system has taken control and it's literally about what I can tolerate and what I can't, what goes down nicely and what doesn't. And coincindentally my eating habits are now in line with what one who was considered "healthy" would be...for the most part. For example, bread is hard for me, so if I eat a sandwich, the bread has to be really small or hollowed out. Wraps are easier, and if it's a tortilla, corn is better than flour by a long shot.

I am curious if anyone else had these issues and if things "normalize" as more time goes by from the surgery date. I would like to be able to eat a little bit bigger portions and to be able to eat a little bit more "normally" But, I must say, things are looking up. It took me about seven months to start feeling better, and my weight loss was more rapid in the last few months than it was at first (I think my system was messed up by my really throwing up mostly and not ingesting anything positive).

Would love to hear more, and when I am off work, I'll go and search some of your stories.

Cheers,

Mumto2boys

There is a good Forum on Facebook......BariatricHELP Forum.......full of good information and it is a closed group

Hi All!

Am in Houston. I had my DS surgery on March 12, 2015 & have lost 53 lbs so far. I am having real issues with eating in general. I continue to have acid issues even though I am taking Prilosec & Pepsid night and day. Am also throwing up a couple times a week after eating. Yesterday I tried a smoothie make with Greek Yogurt and frozen fruit only finished 1/2 of it......I keep going back to soft foods but those are very limited on Protein. ...what is your suggestion to get through this rough spot??

For early acid reflux try adding TUMS. I was eating them between meals to keep my acid levels low. When you feel heart burn chomp on a few. It will help. This may be why some people have early issues with nausea and vomiting. It takes a while for acid levels to get normalized. At 6 months it was much better for me. Good luck