Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sometimes You Feel Like A Nut!!!!

Hey Y'all

Quick question here. In my lap band "bible" it lists the things you should not eat. How ever it doesn't tell you why. On the list is nuts. Well I've been eating peanuts like crazy. I find them to be a great little snack and they really fill you up. Does anyone know why? Also on the list is oranges, grapes. I haven't tried those but, would like to eat an orange again. So if any one's eaten these and been OK or might have any idea why they are considered a no-no food please let me know.

Quick question here. In my lap band "bible" it lists the things you should not eat. How ever it doesn't tell you why. On the list is nuts. Well I've been eating peanuts like crazy. I find them to be a great little snack and they really fill you up. Does anyone know why? Also on the list is oranges, grapes. I haven't tried those but, would like to eat an orange again. So if any one's eaten these and been OK or might have any idea why they are considered a no-no food please let me know.
I would guess nuts are on the list because of their size, but I'm not sure. I can eat them with care and not have any problems. Oranges are difficult because they don't chew up well. If you've ever tried to really chew an orange, it just doesn't happen... you sort of crush the juice out, and are left with his glob of string. Grapes are similar. You end up sort of crushing the juice out of it, but the skins (particularly with red grapes) really won't chew up.

I have gone to fresh squeezed OJ over oranges, and on the rare occasion that I eat grapes, I just spit the skins back out.

Hi,

It might be because they don't break down very well and some people (including me) can get stuck on them. I do still eat them, but am very careful to chew really well.

I make a grape/walnut/blue cheese salad that I eat all the time. Never had a problem with grapes or nuts. Perhaps your doctor thinks the skin of the grape will get stuck or that people won't chew nuts well enough and they'll get stuck, too.

I would guess the fat/calorie content, but I eat nuts pretty much daily. They are good for you and they fill me up fast! They stick with me a long time too!

I have no problems with nuts or grapes (or oranges even) later in the day, but early in the day none of these work.

Glad to hear all of you have different experiences and once banded I *may* still be able to eat some of my favorite foods (nuts, grapes and citrus fruits).

I don't know but my surgeon tells me that almonds are great to help get in my Protein so he says I can have them. I would guess that if you can eat them with no problem go ahead.

Hey Y'all

I had the Lap band back in Oct.06. Losing slow, but that's ok!! 52 so far.

Peanuts are really high in fat, so that hurts you, and they are hard to digest.:rolleyes: Sometimes they are really hard to pass thru the little hole you now have for a passage. I cannot eat the oranges or grapes. They get stopped up around the band so it feels like you are choking.:D You really can't chew the fruit up enough to get it down thru your band. Very uncomfortable feelings. There are quite a few things other people in my support group say they can't eat but I can, and vise versa.

Hope this helps.:clap2: Saltlick