Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill/restriction question

Hello,

I was banded 2/23/07. I have lost about 19 pounds very slowly. At first I was just wide open and could eat anything. I had my 1st fill on 4/10 and I do feel more restriction, but I do feel like it comes and goes. I have another fill scheduled for 5/1/07 and have a few questions.

When I eat, I don't ever get the full feeling I had right after surgery (probably when I was swollen). Is that the feeling I should be looking for?? I am eating less, but I just feel like I always get a "stuck" feeling and then have to PB to feel normal again (just in the past few days). I assume this is not the restriction I should be hoping for. So, I'm wondering if someone could describe what the "sweet spot" should feel like. Is getting "stuck" just the symptom of eating to fast, the wrong things, etc., or does that mean you've eaten too much. I feel like I get stuck before eating the right amount, and that I never feel full. I just stop eating b/c it's so uncomfortable and then I'm famished a little while later. I just want to get this right. I think I need to be filled more actually, but if getting stuck means I'm too tight, then I'm in trouble (b/c I'm hungry, not feeling full, and not losing much weight). Thanks for the help.

Gretchen:)

Hello,

I was banded 2/23/07. I have lost about 19 pounds very slowly. At first I was just wide open and could eat anything. I had my 1st fill on 4/10 and I do feel more restriction, but I do feel like it comes and goes. I have another fill scheduled for 5/1/07 and have a few questions.

When I eat, I don't ever get the full feeling I had right after surgery (probably when I was swollen). Is that the feeling I should be looking for?? I am eating less, but I just feel like I always get a "stuck" feeling and then have to PB to feel normal again (just in the past few days). I assume this is not the restriction I should be hoping for. So, I'm wondering if someone could describe what the "sweet spot" should feel like. Is getting "stuck" just the symptom of eating to fast, the wrong things, etc., or does that mean you've eaten too much. I feel like I get stuck before eating the right amount, and that I never feel full. I just stop eating b/c it's so uncomfortable and then I'm famished a little while later. I just want to get this right. I think I need to be filled more actually, but if getting stuck means I'm too tight, then I'm in trouble (b/c I'm hungry, not feeling full, and not losing much weight). Thanks for the help.

Gretchen,

I was banded on 1-19-2007 and filled March 6th. I seem to have the same problem. I think my restriction has loosened some b/c i have lost weight.I have also had to use some discipline(which i usually don't have) and make myself eat only a small amount. I do PB quite a bit, and I think part of it is due to eating too fast and not chewing enough. I'm getting much better.

I think, at least for me, getting stuck is because I don't chew enough and eat too fast. I am now constantly reminding myself when I eat "baby bites". I've also caught on to my body signals. If I start to hicup, I may have already eaten to much. I guess I'd rather under eat so I don't PB and then eat a snack if I am hungry again. I've actually had a better weight loss when I can eat and keep it down.

I would say the sweet spot, is to be able to know just how much to eat before you feel uncomfortable and this will be different for everyone. You may also have days where you can eat more than others.

I hope this may help a little.

Jane D

I have noticed that after I loose around 10 to 15 pounds my restriction lessens because of the weightloss and I have to get another fill. Right now it's TOM and I'm so tight I can't eat solids hardly at all. It's the first TOM since my last fill. I would say I'm at my sweet spot and the way it fills for me is it takes only about 1/2 cup and I'm full but if it's Proteins and I don't chew the crap out of it I'll pb, so I have to be very careful. I think in my experience it's a fine line between sweetspot and overfilled, very fine line. Hope this helps.

Keep in mind that we aren't looking to feel "full" but instead satisfied. That's a challenge for most of us, I think. Every few bites stop and think through this, are you still hungry or are you satisfied? If you are satisfied put the food up and you can have it later when you are sincerely hungry.

I have noticed that feeling "full" feels different today vs. pre-band, but I'm not sure if that is the same for everyone or not.

I was banded Oct 30, and have had 4 fills. I agree usually after I loose 10-15 pounds I think I need another fill. I am doing awesome though, I have lost 68 pounds, I agree you wont really feel full, but satisfied. You have to really stop and think about what you are eating and how much. Not sure I have found the sweet spot either, but I think I am really close. The key to loosing is the exercise, I work out in the gym 3 days a weeks with a trainer, and what a difference. I started out in a 26 and I actually bought 18 shorts this weekend.

Thanks so much for all the replies. I got on the scale this morning and I have lost about 6 pounds since my last fill a little over 2 weeks ago, so not bad. I have not really started exercising yet, so that is next and I know it will help.

I'm just trying to figure this all out.....When I first got my fill I did feel a "full" feeling, but not like the old days full. I just felt like my pouch was full like I assume it should feel. It only lasted a few days though, so I'm thinking it was just swelling (which was how I felt right after surgery as well). I still feel hungry like I used to down in my lower stomach. I was hoping that the "sweet spot" was that feeling of fullness, but if it is more the "satisfied" feeling I need to work on it b/c I still feel like I overeat. I guess with my 2nd fill next week, I'm trying to figure out how much more of a fill I actually need, and how much is more in my head.

Thank you all so much. You are doing awesome and it gives me a lot of hope for the future. I think with reading all the February posts and how much everyone has lost I just feel like I'm "behind", but if I kept up at this pace, I would also lose 60 pounds in 6 months, so it's still all good.

Take care. Gretchen:)

Hello,

Hi Gretchen,

I had surgery the same day as you. I had my fill on 4/11 and had the same problems. After reading your post and the replys I called my doctor right away and went in and had .3cc taken out. Boy do I feel soooooo much better. I kept blaming myself. Did I eat too fast, maybe I didn't chew enough, was it the time of day. I've been in pain for 2 weeks. Right away I felt better. I still have restriction but it goes down so much better. I lost 6lbs my first week after the fill but then nothing because I had to drink so many protien shakes because real food wouldn't stay down. So this is a new week and I start my excersising today.

Thanks for your help.

Tammy