Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band or sleeve? Why did you get revision to sleeve?

@@2muchfun, why are you being so aggressive and rude to the new person that joins the conversation.

I do believe the topic if the thread is "why did you convert from lap band to sleeve?"

Not let's see how much we can carry the flag for allergen.

What is your deal man ?!

You bash anyone who jumps into the conversation. A conversation you have no business in as it is not about which is better but why you Switched.

Band support threads exist, go there and carry your flag, but please stop.

Chris, relax buddy, this topic is under the "General Weight Loss Surgery" forum. Even if it wasn't we're all welcome to comment as we see fit.

Allergan sold the device last year Chris.

My deal is passing along information so people can make educated decisions about their health. I provide my opinion and try to back it up with facts.

I'm not bashing anyone Chris. Just trying to have a civil dialogue with forum members. Why don't you give it a try? You seem very angry? Take a deep breath or two and try to inject some value to the thread.

Good post ^^^^, Cowgirljane.

The trouble with the studies regarding most -- and perhaps even ALL -- long-term weight loss surgery studies / surveys is the non-response bias introduced into most studies. In other words, surveys and studies based on volunteer responses are lame. All WLS patients are NOT like those WLS patients who voluntarily participate in WLS surveys and studies.

When WLS patients "fail" (e.g., they regain weight, aren't compliant, have other health problems, die) they don't return for doctor's appointments and fade from online and IRL support communities. In these cases, their subsequent WLS experiences (and data) are not included in future studies of "all WLS patients' experiences."

To be clear, I am not saying that there are no good WLS studies that attempt to minimize non-response bias. But they are not plentiful.

We need better meta-evaluations of all WLS studies. I am optimistic that such studies will increase in number and improve in quality.

"they don't return for doctor's appointments and fade from online and IRL support communities"

So true. We've had at least 3 new band members post just last week that they're failing or have failed with weight loss and/or slips due to failing to follow up with their surgeons. Can't say it's all their fault, many people go into this on the cheap and have no money for aftercare and have no insurance or have lost their insurance. We see this every week. Aftercare with the band is vital.

tmf

The issue with the study might be that many of the sleeve re-operations were on sleeve revisions which have a much higher complication rate than virgin sleeves.

Edited by Bandarella

This thread needs to just be deleted. It's become aggressive. Really this is the kind of thread where I just start to chose not to come visit bariactric pal . @@2muchfun I pray your band doesn't fail you and one day you are not on the end I am. It's humbling to say the least. I applaud you for your pro band stance but berating (yes in my opinion is what you have done is not helping anyone) I am not trying to attack you at all but help you to see that maybe just taking a breathe and realizing the ones you are confronting are the ones who's bands failed. I am sure you would be devastated if that happened to you. If you were doing so amazing and bam it fails. It would devastate you.. Well maybe you can see from their point of view.. Compassion goes along way. We all want the same thing how we get there really doesn't matter the only reason I ever speak of my bad experience is when people are asking band choice . From June 2008 to October 2014 I was super band promoter! I was a band superstar. It then failed and I had to be revised. Do you see that why I say hey maybe take a look at the stats.. See all your options.. Especially if you are self pay my initial $18,500 for my band I thought was a good deal it obviously is not. The $28,900 I just paid for revision to rny and removal of my band I pray will be worth it. You have no idea what can happen tomorrow or 5 years from now. I'm hoping you are still happy with your band. That would have been my ultimate dream to never had to have another surgery.. So maybe just a little compassion and understanding could go a long way..

Allie, I'm not sure what you're reading but I've never addressed anything you've said have I? I've tried to carry on a civil dialogue with everyone(Bandarella excepted). I've not called anyone names or threatened to beat people up or demeaned them in any way? There were some posts that made false claims about the band. I was only attempting to correct these false claims. Some posts violated the forum rules and I also tried to bring this person back to a civil conversation.

I'm sorry you had complications with your band, but there are many others who want the band and allowing false information to stand could mean these people would choose to not have any WLS if they believed these erroneous assertions.

I'm not sure why you're berating me? I've never said a word to you have I?

Allie.. I am sorry you have gone through this. I know your pain . I don't agree about deleting this thread however. People can say what they will about me or my story but it's the truth. I don't post to in any way influence the currently banded but rather for pre ops to hear all sides of the story so they have way more info than I did.

I fully realize that some are very successful and I applaud them heartily. ..but the band is much harder to live with and I know that to be true.

What I notice is that the "band community" seems to blame the patients when things go wrong. It was like that 10 years ago too which shamed me into thinking it was all my fault and that I would fail with any WLS. My only regret is that I beat myself up for so long over it. 10 years of my life I felt like the most miserable excuse of a human who could be obese AFTER WLS.

Threads like this let the readers make their own decisions. While it is true I am only one naive revisionista... I have lost over 160# since my revision and am maintaining. That did not happen for me when banded.. so for what it's worth..it is my story and if it helps one other person it's worth it.

Allie, I'm not sure what you're reading but I've never addressed anything you've said have I? I've tried to carry on a civil dialogue with everyone(Bandarella excepted). I've not called anyone names or threatened to beat people up or demeaned them in any way? There were some posts that made false claims about the band. I was only attempting to correct these false claims. Some posts violated the forum rules and I also tried to bring this person back to a civil conversation. I'm sorry you had complications with your band, but there are many others who want the band and allowing false information to stand could mean these people would choose to not have any WLS if they believed these erroneous assertions. I'm not sure why you're berating me? I've never said a word to you have I?

Again, good luck.