Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was anyone dianogsed with depression? I answered some questions that make me took depressed when i dont feel depressed n actually i answered question with a whole different meaning that wasnt intended to be a bad thing, i dont feel depressed nore do i ack depressed, im alil stressfull over the whole situation n i need to hear some similar stories. I need alot of help to see what is wrong if im perfectly fine.

Preface: this is not meant as an accusation or judgement about you personally. These are issues I have struggled with, and I totally understand how you feel about your psych doctors. Sometimes they can seem pretty unsympathetic.

That said, I feel like its unlikely that people like us can reach our degree without mental or emotional problems. It's simple unreasonable for me to claim that my weight and my mental health are not related. Your stomach does not have arms to feed itself, your stomach does not have lips and teeth to chew, your stomach doesn't have a Visa card to buy groceries. You as a whole person do those things, so your doctors want to make sure that your whole person, mind included, are invested in making these changes.

(Even if your weight has a medical cause (thyroid etc) there is an immense mental toll. Although in that case it's more effect than cause, it still usually requires therapy.) becoming mentally/emotionally healthy is a huge part of this journey- it's not enough to fix your body, you need to consider your mind as well.

Depression is not as simple as feeling sad. You may feel unmotivated, lonely, lethargic, tired, and a myriad of other things. Depression can be so isolating, it feels like no one is there with you. Even when someone is literally listening to your problems it can feel like they will never understand. Being told by a doctor that you have depression seems really awful at first. If you really believe they are wrong, seek a second opinion. If even a tiny piece of you thinks that it might be true, then addressing that might be the key to a successful weight loss journey! And that is GREAT news! Because some of us never get that lucky.

3 True Things

1. You are not alone - we're all struggling with doctors and mental health. We're here for you, and we understand.

2. Doctors aren't perfect and sometimes they are wrong. If you really don't think there is any tiny smidgen of a chance that this diagnosis is true, go see someone else.

3. Therapy doesn't hurt as much as surgery. But they work pretty well together.

I underatand it may help, but i feel like they are forcing me to be depressed, i was tellin him how i feel n he said no thats not how u feel u are depressed LoL thatsnot normal for a dr to that, but i am compling with it, i jus praying that i dont come across more people like that dr, basicly i cant do amything about it if i want the surgery i have to continue to the process of compling with what yhe pscho dr says. Thank u bery much for the support

Yikes!

Was that your first meeting with him?

That sounds pretty terrible. I'm sorry!

It wasmt terrible , i did get in self defense mose lol, im not easlily manipulated n i need understanding of stuff before i agree. But i guess its jus the process to get to surgery n the important part is that i gain my health back.

Im pleased to reply that after all the stress from the sych evaluator n my dr, i was able to seek cleareence threw the pharmacist n also a kind lady from the surgical centers. I have been on depression pills, n although im not depressed" the pills have controlled my anxiety n energy, i feel a whole lot better, i still feel the same as far as content with life n where my mind is at, but i guess my anxiety was bring me down as far as not even having energy. I hope this helps someone who is goin threw what i did or in future may go threw this.

I was diagnosed with depression several years ago, and put on medication. The medication did wonders for me, but when I went to my pre-op psych evaluation, the Dr was not impressed with treating solely with medications. The Dr suggested that I seek more counseling before and after my surgery, so that I could dig to the core of my depression, and see how it might affect my use of food as a way of either self medication, or self punishment. I was on the defensive the first couple of sessions, and by the 3rd session I decided to be more open to what the therapist was saying. By my forth session I really felt that she had dug into some issues and feelings that I had hid from myself for a very long time. It isn't easy to face those things, but I realize that those things are in the past, and I shouldn't let them dictate my present or future. I am day 5 post-op, and have plans to have periodic appointments with my therapist, to help me stay on track. I view the therapy sessions as just one more very important tool, in this process.

I had a similar experience. Went to my psych eval thinking everything was fine and was referred to a therapist anyway, who in turn referred me to a Depression Support Group. What an eye opener that was! It was an 8 week class that focused on cognitive behavioral change to alleviate depression or anxiety. It gave me some valuable skill to deal with the major life changes that will come from have the surgery. What a blessing. My pre-op appointment is in 3 days and I'm much better prepared than I would have been.

Good luck to you.

Being diagnosed with depression doesn't mean anything bad. Like a previous poster pointed out...most of us didn't get to the stage we're in now without some sort of emotional issues. I'm sorry your psych had such a bad bedside manner when telling you about the diagnosis. Hopefully, the treatment you have from here on out will be better.

I have my psych eval on August 21st. I've been diagnosed with major depression and generalized anxiety disorder for years. On meds for both...again for years. I decided to start seeing a therapist before I even decided to see a bariatric surgeon. Depression doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with being sad. Sometimes, yes, I feel awful, and have even felt suicidal. But I would say 80% of the time, I'm what you would call "normal". Please don't consider that diagnosis as an insult or even the doctor being mean. Maybe he saw something in you that you don't necessarily see. It took me a long time to admit I needed help mentally and physically. And I truly hope you find everything you need to live the best life ever.

I was diagnosed with severe depression years before my surgery. So, I was going in to this fine. What I didn't expect was the sagging skin on my body that I couldn't tone up. You can only exercise but so much and it will only tone up but so much skin...now I'm waiting to find out if my doctor is going to write to my insurance to state that it is medically necessary to have plastic surgery to remove the excess skin. My body (to me) now looks so gross with this sagging skin. Now, THAT is what is making me depressed now. And yes I am already on medication for my severe depression.

I have suffered from depression since the age of 5, seen therapists/psych on and off my whole life and have been on anti-depressants since my 40's. Being depressed in and of itself will not necessarily fail you for surgery. They want to know if you are able to commit to this life changing surgery, that you are strong enough emotionally to stick to the diet, They want to make sure you don't have any psychotic thought processes including hallucinations and delusions. They also touch a bit on your family unit to see if you have support at home. Remember, they are doing all this for a good reason and it is all for our benefit. They want to make sure there are no roadblocks to impede you on your new journey to your new self. Like super said, you cannot get to be our age (i'm 60) without being depressed sometime in your life.

As I suffer from severe chronic depressive disorder, I am hoping this diet will free me from most of the problems I have to deal with from day-to-day caused by being morbidly obese. I know it will not take it all away, as it is a medical issue, but hope losing the weight and becoming more mobile and getting into exercise and getting out of the house and starting to really live will lesson the symptoms (I don't even remember what it's like to not be depressed).

That said, I am an eternal optimist and I have totally committed to this program. I have 6 days to surgery and feel like I am floating on a cloud! I am doing this for me .... whatever it takes!