Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op With Huge Concerns

I am considering getting the band. I've seen references to slippage and people having to have their bands removed. How often do slippages occur? Erosion also sounds scary. Is erosion common?

I must take ibuprofen for arthritis and back pain. Will I be able to take ibuprofen after surgery?

For reasons I won't mention, I must also take Metamucil daily. Will I be able to take Metamucil after surgery?

When I can once again eat solid food, what can I expect?

Are certain foods bad to eat?

Is it true my portion will fit into a shot glass?

Is it true that you can swallow air with your food and experience horrible pain and nausea?

CatherineA:confused:

Good grief, Catherine! You sound as nervous as I was!

First, ask you doctor. Hopefully he or she has a pre op seminar that will answer a lot of this and will be available for questions.

Band complications can arise, and the incidence of all of them is very very small. I think it seems bigger here because people come here for support in trying times. A lot of times when people are doing well, they're too busy living life to check in with the support group. Seems like I remember the incidence of all complications together as 3%... Your doctor will know.

I used to take ibuprofen, and my doctor said to switch to chewable Tylenol for my arthritis. I don't even to that much now that the weight is coming off. I have read that some people here still take ibuprofen. Hopefully one of them will check in here.

I take Benefiber in my Protein shake. Check with your doc on Metamucil.

I never get pain from swallowing air. Some people say never to use a straw for that reason. I haven't had trouble with that either. Don't actually know anyone who has.... What causes pain is overstuffing yourself. For me, that's a good thing!

I eat between 1/2 and 1.5 cups of food at a meal. Some days I eat 600 calories. Most days it's more like 1100. Some days I can eat anything if I chew a lot. Some days I can't. You can feel more restricted in what you eat based on stress, mentrual cycle, illness...you name it. You'll find you just learn to rock and roll with it.

What I THOUGHT was that the band would simply take care of me. What I have experienced is that I have a lot of hard work to do, and the band just makes it possible. Everybody is different. Many people have trouble eating white bread or anything that turns pasty. Some people have trouble with stringy vegetables. But generally, the band just gives you Portion Control. Then what you decide to put in your tummy is up to you. Milk shakes go down sooo easily, and make you fat. Proteins have to really be chewed up, so they are hard work, but they fill up that little pouch and make you feel soooo full, and that's a good thing. Generally, the reason you succeed with this instead of having yet another diet failure, is that when you feel full, you don't obsess about finding food anymore. So we can then do what everybody has always told us to do...we can exercise self control! I was never able to do that before the band.

Congrats on writing in with your questions. Keep them coming. Gather whatever you need to feel comfortable.

What state are you in? I'm in Texas.

Thanks so much for replying, Betsy Jane. And, yes, I am nervous. I want so badly to do it, but I have read some pretty alarming posts and that would frighten anyone, I think. So it's good to get some positive feedback. Much appreciated!

the most important thing here is to research your doctor. You must feel comfortable with him and his office. I love my doctor, so I feel comfortable asking him anything. My doc also made us go to 6 health awareness classes with support groups. So, many questions were answered there, too. These classes teach you nutrition, how to eat before and after the band, things like that. My surgery which i thought would be in January winded up being the last day in February, but it worked out even better. Gave me even more time to feel secure.

Yes. Some of them are alarming. But it happens so seldom. I wish you lived near here. I'd invite you to our support group for current and future bandsters. See if there's one locally. Just a bunch of folks who get together at a restaurant to chat and laugh, share tips and learn. That might help you as well.

Here's an example of a typical day for me, having been banded last November. What I eat has changed a lot over the months, but currently...

I have a lot of restriction in the morning, so I was having a Protein shake for Breakfast (Slim Fast Carb Control). Now, I more often drink Water for a few hours and then have a later Breakfast of scrambled Eggbeaters (about 1.5 eggs worth). That fills me up.

For lunch I have around 4-6 ounces, a green salad with some kind of meat thrown in. Sometimes I still look at it and wonder if it's enough to fill me up...It is, but sometimes my head just doesn't grasp it.

Mid afternoon, I sometimes want a snack, and I have a bite or two of a solid meat, and that fills me up.

For dinner, I have around 6 ounces of the same thing as lunch.

A sugar free popsicle for a snack later.

If I go out to eat, I order whatever I want and usually eat a fourth of it. I savor my going out and eating anything.

The reality is that at this point it doesn't feel claustrophobic...It feels freeing. I can honestly push away from the table and say "I couldn't eat another bite!" And then mostly not think about it until the next meal. That's freedom. I have found, though that that leaves me with some free time that used to go toward grazing and filling boredom. I'm working had at filling those holes with exercise. It's a process.

A day in the life.....

Is the basic rule to eat little portions all day? I know that my sister had gastric and she still orders HUGE portions... ones that she couldn't even come near to finishing... then orders dessert too. I wonder if a bunch of it is not in our minds that we order the same amounts of food we did before?

I am getting banded on May 11th. Soon. I am in Texas too and also a betsi jane!

Thanks for all the info.

Ah the old head needs to catch up with the new stomach size.... I too do that all the time.... order loads and then can't eat even a 1/3 of it!

Such is life... the best thing is you get to eat for 3 days on just the one meal! so it really does save money in the long run!

good luck with your decision.

Hello! Betsyjane. Thanks for the post with examples on your Daily Intake!!! I am still trying to imagine life as a bandster and your post helped. Sounds like you are doing awesome!!! Did you have to stay on a liquid diet after the banding for very long after surgery??? Well have a good day - hope the sun is shining where you are?

:(:D

The idea is not to eat a lot of small meals. With lap band, the idea is to eat 3 small meals that give you a sense of being full, and then not doing any snacking. But everybody is different. Generally, you want to fill the little stomach with foods that will keep you feeling full within 15 minutes, and for the next 4 hours or so.

I find that I still have to laugh at the dumb things I do...ordering more food than I need...heading to the refrigerator out of habit and realizing I'm totally full....

My doctor was is very liberal. No pre-op diet. liquids for a day after surgery and then mushies for a very short while. That's unusual though. Go with what your doc says to do!