Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I don't mind the eating but I hate the pills and the monitoring. It makes me feel like a sick person and I don't want to be a sick person forever. I asked my doctor about this and she said a VSG could possibly cure Type 2. I'm ready to do it tomorrow, if it will work. I am fat but not that fat--5'6" and about 200 lbs. I hate Metformin and I don't want to learn to live with it because it's evil.

Has VSG worked to cure Type 2 diabetes for anyone else?

I've been a diabetic about sixteen years. About a year ago I began taking insulin before meals, plus victoza and metformin. The latter two I've taken for a long period of time. On May 20th I had gastric sleeve surgery. In the last three and a half weeks I've not taken any medicine and my average blood sugar per my meter is 126 the last 14 days and 133 the last 30 days. My results keep improving as time passes so far.

It is best to have the surgery before you make the crossover from pre-diabetes to diabetes because that is the time when some of the pancreas islet cells die. The forum, Research and Statistics on Gastric Sleeve, will give you more info. I think it's very likely you will be cured of diabetes. From the research I've seen, one of the factors in a cure is how long you've had diabetes. you have a better chance if you've only had it for 4 years or less. Good luck! I'm hoping to get rid of it too!

with regard to metformin, you should ask for the slow release metformin - normal metformin gave me nasty side effects too - but slow release is way better...

I've been type 2 since 2008. I had to take 4 1000 mg metformin all at once in the mornings to regulate my blood sugar for the day.

Since my pre-op diet started in early May, I haven't taken a single metformin. I am now 25 days post op and the highest my blood sugar has been after eating some potato is 80.

I'm thankful to be off of it and I'm on my way to being off of my blood pressure pills.< /p>

Great thread. I have been type 2 for 2 1/2 years now. I am 5 almost 6 weeks post surgery. I had blood drawn Friday and go in next friiday to discuss. I am hoping that some of the meds will go. I am on Metformin (1000 twice a day) and Januvia (100mg in the am) and I am down now to 1/2 my HBP meds. I have cut down my Metformin at night to 500 because I was waking up jittery with a low sugar of 55 3 days in a row. Since cutting it in half I am waking up to a fasting 70. My BP on 1/2 is 95/60. So hoping to drop that soon. Losng almost 40 lbs these last 2 months has been nice but I did this to be healthy

I was type 2 before surgery went to the doctor last week and my non-fasting sugar was 83 my doctor now says I'm hypoglycemic and need to get my sugar up some. I've been off meds since the day of surgery. I was taking metformin and glipizide.

Pre-surgery, like the last poster I was also on Metformin and Glipizide. Initially the surgeons left me with discharge instructions to stop taking the Glipizide but continue to take the Metformin. My blood sugar was so low on it that on my post-surgical follow up they advised me to stop taking it (Like, when I say low I mean like 66 low, even AFTER eating something carby). Generally my sugars run from 89 or so to about 115 now.

I replied earlier to this thread about my diabetes improving since my May 20th surgery a little over a month ago. My blood sugar levels continue to improve. I've had a reading as low as 99 and my 14 day average is down to 122 and 30 day average is 125 which is a decline from the 126/133 in my previous post. This was after being insulin dependent along with Victoza and Metformin. I'm currently taking no medicines since my surgery.

Great thread. I have been type 2 for 2 1/2 years now. I am 5 almost 6 weeks post surgery. I had blood drawn Friday and go in next friiday to discuss. I am hoping that some of the meds will go. I am on Metformin (1000 twice a day) and Januvia (100mg in the am) and I am down now to 1/2 my HBP meds. I have cut down my Metformin at night to 500 because I was waking up jittery with a low sugar of 55 3 days in a row. Since cutting it in half I am waking up to a fasting 70. My BP on 1/2 is 95/60. So hoping to drop that soon. Losng almost 40 lbs these last 2 months has been nice but I did this to be healthy

Update... As of Friday I am off the Januvia and Metformin is down to 500 twice a day. My Blood sugar is still well below 100 even after eating. Dr wants to see 20 more lbs to take me off of others. I am not too jittery. Waking up with BS at 62 three days in a row.