Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your surgeon call to check up after your surgery?

Did your surgeon's office call you to see how you were doing immediately post-op?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did your surgeon's office call you to see how you were doing immediately post-op?

• Yes
    • No

Chubbola, Congratulations on the non-smoking status. I know we are in this for the long haul! Its been 120 days smoke free for me!

I DON"T even think about cigarettes any longer.

Trying to replace the "addiction" of not smoking and not being able to stuff my face, with something else. Still haven't found it yet!

Well, I can think of one thing, but my husband would need to get a little blue pill!

my surgeon wasnt even there long enough to take care of a complication i had (started bleeding quite seriously from my belly button). he did not really even see me before surgery (he was late). in fact, another surgeon could see i was nervous / stressed and came by and chatted with me for about 10 minutes.

i do at times really wish i would have gone with that other surgeon, but oh well. IF i have complications, i will see if he will take me on, but who knows?

I cannot give enough praise to Dr. Kirshenbaum. What an amazing guy.

I just called him long distance because I had a concern. He called me back in about 30 minutes. He is great for communication, great bedside manner. The team in Colorado made my 1500 mile journey worth every penny I paid.

I wish I had gone to Dr Kirshenbaum! :)

hi,

my doctor came in recovery (i thought it was a dream but he later told me it was real) and his office has been actively following up.

i have to say...i think the post op is more if not just as important as the operation itself.

i feel very lucky i chose dr spivak for this reason.

My Doctor didn't come see me post op in the hospital nor did he see me at my post op visit in his office. I havn't received even a phone call since surgery.

At the info seminar the staff talked about how much they follow up after your surgery, I sure don't know what happened to that.

Wow, I am sorry some of you did not have good experiences with your doctor. Mine spoke to all of my family just shortly after we checked in. Then, in the pre-surgery waiting area he came and spoke to me and my hubby again, explained a bit about what would happen, how long my husband should expect me to be in there, etc. and asked if we had any additional questions. When I woke up in recovery, he was the first person I saw as he was standing right next to my big with a big smile and told me everything had gone wonderfully and I had my band. I spent the night in the hospital and he saw me that night and again the next morning before I went home. He again explained to me and my family what to expect over the next few days and how we should handle different things that may arise and that he is available to us 24 hours a day. The day after I got home, I also received a call from his office checking up on me and again a few days later. I thought, and still do believe that I get excellent care from him and his staff.

My doc came to see me after surgery, but I only know that because my hubby told me. I didn't remember it. The dr's office also called after I got home, but didn't remember that either (pain meds).

It's been more important for me that my surgery was successful and that I've been getting good aftercare. I've heard horror stories about these two things.

Tell your doctor how you feel or at least what you feel you need from him or his office to be successful. If they can't or won't provide it, you may need to seek aftercare somewhere else. It's too important for you not to be comfortable and encouraged.

My doc saw me before and after surgery, and the next morning before I left the hostpital and again in a week and I got a call from his staff in between. They have all been awesome!!!!! I was banded by Dr. Malley on January 30, 2007.

The surgery center ,called to check on me, but not the surgeon..I did get a call from the office, but it was from my cousin...she works for the doctor that did my surgery....She called on Monday...I had surgery on Friday..

My surgeon, did come to see me in recovery...and told me that everything went fine and if I had any problems to call....

If it was done in a hospital and isn't day surgery, I didn't think you could be discharged until the doctor came in to see you! That's why they do "rounds", to check on their patients.

Geeze...even my Dentist calls me the same night to make sure I'm okay. Even if I just had a filling! (not for a cleaning of course)

I was sent home a few hours after surgery and had problems, I couldn't urinate. My PCDR took care of me, put in a catheter and followed me closely. The surgeon and hospital did not care.... I called them, the surgeon's office said "it sometimes happens" They never called back. No calls or checks.

People like different things from their doctors, I guess. My Dr. and his staff kept track of me. I had day surgery. I did see the doc after and they did a barium swallow and gave me a pic of the swallow and of the band on my stomach. He's an american and has done a fine job.

His name is Ken Hollis in Houston, Tx.

However if you are not satisfied with your treatment, let them know, in no uncertain terms. Power to the patient, I say!!

Edited by Hastings

Dr Zapata and his staff, as well as the hospital staff in Monterrey, Mexico, all took very good care of me...Saw him before surgery, in recovery, in my hospital room that night, and also the next morning. I have a direct line for him to call for any questions, and I couldn't be happier. They did such a great job, I hardly had any questions for them. I guess its like anything, there are different standards of care wherever you go. But I think it should be noted, I spent an overall total of $10K for my surgery, hospital stay in a suite, airfare for two, passports for two, nutritional and lifestyle consult, and hotel (with a total of 5 nights stay) and some touring. Its been only 1 week, but so far not a single complication.

I know there are some folks who are spending a lot more, and not getting even a hospital nights stay. I am not one for pushing any certain doctors or anything like that, but I think a person should shop around before considering where to go, especially when self-pay.