Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confession of a stupid woman

I was sleeved may 19th. I don't know how long I'm out. I think I'm starting my fourth week on Monday. Anyway, I got approved to move to puréed foods at my last visit. I've been having baby food, eggs, tuna with mayo and mash potatoes- well very little of it maybe an oz or so. Comfortable with these but not easy.

This weekend I decided to cook my family a middle eastern influenced dinner. I smashed the hell out of some so I can eat it, but holy moly!!!! I thought death came for me. I had this tight feeling in my chest. I couldn't breathe. All of a sudden I also got bubble guts. I thought it was the end of me. I laid down, sat up, walked around and got through it. I drank a sip of Water after 20 minutes and even started to feel better. You would think I learned my lesson. NO! The next day, I started thinking maybe I ate too fast, didn't chew enough or I ate too big of a serving and decided to redo it. Well how else I'm I going to learn? Huh! Omg!!!!!! I did it to myself again., really bad. This time praying I didn't hurt my insides.

Yea, I know. It was stupid!!! But here is the thing... I keep reading all of the different eating phases people have post surgery. So many surgeons differ in eating plans that I thought maybe mine could be different.

Lesson learned staying on smooth foods, baby foods and yogurt for at least another 3.5 weeks. Don't think I'll be ready before then. No longer want to experiment!

Anyone else try something similarly stupid?

Lorri

Don't be so hard on yourself... Middle Eastern food is SOOOOOO delicious!

You will enjoy great food again, just not yet! Those are some painful reminders, eh? But if I had to go the rest of my life without Turkish food, I'd almost choose to stay fluffy. ALMOST. ;)

I did it to myself with chicken, of all things :/ I did puree it (made a chicken salad), and my insides very loudly protested that chicken was not acceptable. *sigh*

I would have sooner mashed something tasty for the amount of pain rather than something so blah that's actually on the puree diet.

Agreed! thanks for your support. Can't wait to have a bit of tastier foods with no pain!

LR

Oh, you have a twin in me. I wasn't bright enough to stick to the 1 -2 Tbsp per meal and ate 4 Tbsp of a mixture of mashed potato and mushy ham salad. It was so good and I ate it slowly but... I ate it all. Much pain and gurgling and regret. Can I not follow directions and save myself some pain? Apparently not, because this morning I drank my Protein shake too quickly and as I felt it back up in my esophagus the pain was worse than night before and I almost couldn't catch my breath. Severe gurgling followed the pain and I haven't had anything other than some sips of Water since Breakfast.

I admit the pain is overshadowed by the mental image of my stomach springing a leak. I can't help feeling that I've really strained my staples with these two stupid events.

Going to stick to sips of Water today.

PLEASE stop calling yourselves stupid! You are living and learning from experience-- no self putdown deserved!

I did not stay on pureed (pureed literally made me well, it didn't stay) due to my incident but it took me two times to learn. White fish is an allowable puree/soft food (they intertwine) with my surgeon and I slowly cook it on the stove in broth. I tried flounder. Worst feeling and I could tell it wanted to revisit. Then I tried sole. I thought it was over until it did finally revisit.

It's going to be a while before I go back.

I guess we learn by our mistakes! :)

PLEASE stop calling yourselves stupid! You are living and learning from experience-- no self putdown deserved!

It's OK, I think we're using the term stupid in the nicest possible way, just expressing our ignorance! Kind of like doing a "doh" mental head slap.

Yea...barfed today after eating a well pureed egg. Nasty! But I just had to laugh. I knew I wouldn't get away with never having it happen. My hubby and kid were out riding bikes. Freaked out my poor dog. But, hey, now I know how much slower I have to eat.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches