Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bummer I would love to come, but I just had surgery yesterday to remove a kidney stone. Not sure I will be up it. The doctor said try not to over do it.

Prayers to you!!!!

Hi, my name is Veronika from Brooklyn Park, MN and I am currently going through all the steps to get approval for surgery with insurance. I would love to go to the next meeting to meet everyone. I am currently deciding between getting gastric bypass and gastric Sleeve. Hoping for a surgery date in May. I noticed that many of you have chosen the Gastric Sleeve. I realize that this is personal decision but would anyone be willing to share why you choose either gastric bypass or the sleeve.

Thanks!

Edited by Determined4life

Can't make it, but the reservation might be under my name since I made it through open table.

Hi, my name is Veronika from Brooklyn Park, MN and I am currently going through all the steps to get approval for surgery with insurance. I would love to go to the next meeting to meet everyone. I am currently deciding between getting gastric bypass and gastric Sleeve. Hoping for a surgery date in May. I noticed that many of you have chosen the Gastric Sleeve. I realize that this is personal decision but would anyone be willing to share why you choose either gastric bypass or the sleeve.

Thanks!

I have lupus and the meds I take for that I could not do the bypass, I had to do the sleeve.

Hi Veronika,

I am also in the process of getting appproval.

I got a call today from the surgery center and set up my first round of appointments for March 5: labs, baratrician, psychologist, and bariatric nurse. I couldn't pin the nurse down for timing, but she said there's another set of appointments once these are done (nutritionist and dietician), then they submit the request to insurance (this takes 5 to 10 business days), THEN a consult with the surgeon.

She said it all takes a minimum of 3 months. I had it in my head that I would have my surgery in late March or early April, so I'm kind of unhappy about that. Now that I've made the decision to do this, I want to get to the after part as soon as possible. It kind of feels like I'm in "before" limbo.

I picked the sleeve for these reasons.

• Rerouting something seems a lot more complicated than just removing it. In my mind, less complicated = fewer potential complications during surgery -- and maybe shorter recovery time.
  • I understand that dumping is something that happens to bypass patients but not to those who have had the sleeve.
  • The sleeve removes most of the source of ghrelin.
  • Restriction will work better for me than malabsorption.
  • Sleeve patients can take anti-inflammatory medications and other drugs that can cause ulcers in bypass patients.

I agree to some degree as above...

*I want my insides to remain where they belong and my body to function as normally as possible.

* recovery time is relatively the same. It all depends on your body and how it is going to handle said procedure--regardless of which you have.

* dumping happens primarily with R&Y. However, we too, can get to feeling ill with sugar or carbs.

* no malabsorption with the sleeve and it is possible to not be on ALL Vitamins for the rest of your life

* any and all nsaids (ibuprofen, Aleeve, etc) can cause ulcers in both surgeries. It's a master of how much of what do you take to what degree you are seeing yourself up for ulcers. And depending on which surgery will depend on where the likelihood of the ulcers to appear. In your intestines or your tummy.

The ability to be or appear to be normal after 6 months to a year by eating regular properly portionedt meals.

Thank you for the responses fawnb71 and Bacon-n-Limes. I was initially considering RNY because of its long history and success long term but after further research and my own personal concerns I am pretty set on going with the Gastric Sleeve. So another question for all, I am hoping to get into surgey sometime in May or early June of this year if all the appointments & approval with insurance goes smoothly. I also have an international trip booked to Latvia (Eastern Europe) too see family after 22+years from June 28th-July 7th. Is that too soon to travel internationally? Is there anything I should consider? Please share your thoughts, advice, sugguestions. Thanks in advance!

Hi again Determined! I am glad to have been able to have helped.

As for traveling, this is going to depend on a) your doc (surgeon) and B) your body. Each person handles the surgery differently. I have seen some get up after 2 days and feel perfect and have no troubles, then I have seen others who just cannot deal, or their bodies have decided on longer recovery.

For ME, in my experience I would have been able to travel with in a couple of months. The key thing to remember is that is a long flight and you will need to nourish yourself with more than what a plane can give you. so packing of food would be soemthing to put thought into--of course to plan this early is silly as you 1) wont know what stage you will be on and 2) what your body will allow you to eat in the early stages.

:) have fun in Latvia!

Hi all! Checking in -

It's been a while so I wanted to stop by and say hello. I had my one year labs done (about 2 months late!) and everything looks really good. However, my Iron is a bit low, and we are having trouble supplementing that. I doubled up on my daily Multivitamin to see if that would help - it did not. Over the course of our 8 week experiment, my labs only got lower.

So, onward to a stronger supplement. Regular iron pillls upset my stomach (they did even prior to surgery - this has been an ongoing problem for me) - so my primary suggested that I try a liquid iron supplement. Similar results.

The next step is looking into an iron infusion - and I'm wondering - has anyone here had them? Experienced them? Know anyone that has had to have one?

This is my only 'problem' after surgery. I LOVE my sleeve, wouldn't undo it for anything in the world. It has given me a new life, and I love it - even if my iron is low!

How is everyone else doing?

I wonder how low your Iron is...I have had low iron before during and still. My doc isn't overly concerned. What is your count? I have never had infusion, but I too cannot do the supplements. I did try eating more spinach, squash, liver and other ones (pumkin seeds, cashews, almonds, red meat and lamb)

I am still low, but take in the "recommended daily allotment. I have not done anything different as the doc hasnt worried. I wish I could help more, but at least you know you are not alone in this.

Can I join?

@@Bacon-n-Limes are you going through St. Joseph's? Your process sounds the same as mine.

I just got approved yesterday and am scheduled for July 15th.

Can I join?

Hi Lex!

HI, everyone!

I was sleeved on June 9th and am wondering if we can organize a meet-up before summer slips by. I'd love to meet some others who are farther down this path than I am. I'm just south of the Twin Cities, but am willing to drive anywhere. Weddings the first two weekends in August, but that's the only thing on the calendar for summer. If you're willing to head over towards Woodbury, I'd be glad to organize it. Just let me know if anyone's interested.