Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Starting The Lap Band Journey

I am just starting the journey. I have a physical coming up at the weight loss clinic. Then I'll be scheduled for lap band surgery. What can I expect before the surgery? Will I need to start a pre op diet? Is the surgery painful? Can the belt be felt by touching your stomach? Does it also feel like you have a foreign object inside that is attached to you? Are the refills hard to get? Have heard that it is hard for nurse to always find the port to inject w/saline. Appreciate any advice or encouragement. This is an important step in my life. I am just unsure of what happens along the way.

Thanks for any information!

Most surgeons require a 2 to 3 week preop and then a post op. The preop is very important to shrink the liver to prepare you for surgery. The sureon is going to manipulate your stomach. You should have 3 - 4 small incisions. One will be larger and more tender this the incision for the port itself. You'll be sore for several weeks until you heal. You will also have gas pain. Walk walk walk and drink drink drink. You do have a lot of questions. I would google the heck out of it. Everybodys experience isn't the same. I have no regrets and would do it again tomorrow.

Have you been to a seminar? You should go to one just to have the chance to hear the answers to your questions. If you don't go to a seminar, ask your surgeon to explain the process to you.

I can tell you a few things. Firstly, the doctors all seem to have their own pre-op requirements so only your doctor can tell you whether you will be on a diet, and for what length of time.

Surgery hurts. Some people have more pain and discomfort and some have alot less. Again...it's very individualized. Make sure the doctor tells you what to expect so you don't get scared by anything. The biggest issue with post-op is the gas they fill you up with. Some people have alot of discomfort till that gas dissipates.

The only thing you can feel is your port. It feels like something hard just under your skin. Be aware that as you lose weight, it becomes more pronounced. You can't feel the band that's around your stomach.

I can't tell you anything about fills as I haven't had any.

Again....research, research, research. That's the key. The more knowledge you have, the more empowered you are.

Good luck and keep us posted.

You may get scheduled for surgery but before you have surgery a good doctor will require you attend a nutrition class and an orientation. All your questions should be answered in those meetings.

You can't feel the band from the outside or inside. Fills sequences will be up to your doctor and your progress. The doctor has never had a problem finding my port but I've read where sometimes it is hard to find for extremely obese people. But, they do find it.

I had to go on a no carb diet. my doctor's requirement was to lose 5% of my body wt. every clinic and doctor has their own agenda. but I did like go walkings suggestion that you hit a seminar. even if it isn't the doctor you plan on going to. look online for one close to you. at these seminars you can ask lots of questions and you will be hearing from ppl that may have had a lapband. I had 2 ladies that had 10 years under their belt. I went to two. they are very iformative. and than look here under all the topics. there is something on everything you can read and look at videos etc. please my advice to you is to learn learn learn. come here everyday and learn the real stuff about day to day problems banders have. we are all so different. I also suggest a nutritionist. you need to know your diet plan, foods, amounts etc. your wlsurgeon should be able to give you a reference. good luck. I believe you are just started on your journey.

Agreed with the great people in the above response who help me continuously through this journey .

Preop diet depends in doctor . I knew it would be liquids for post op so I jumped full force I to liquids for 2 week preop to see if I could mentally handle it. I didn't want to go through surgery and mess it up. I survived and got banded July 1,2013 the best decision I had made in my entire life! First week after surgery discomfort but manageable listen to ur body I pushed myself a bit to much but quickly learned to take it slow. Walk to relieve that awful gas. By day 13 I was fine back to work and life

Fills no problem first one feels funny but the dr never had a problem with my port. I think it takes me more time to park and get up to the office in the elevator then the fill itself lol . Fill is like 1 minute or less and I use the majority of the visit to ask questions about what in going through and make sure in following the rules. I have only had 3 or 4 fills. We (me and the dr) feel I don't need then I'm staying satiated for 3-4 hours and losing consistently . Although I loved dropping 10lbs a month and have slowed down to 2-5 lbs a month but that's ok in learning . I dint become almost 300lvs overnight and I'm not going to lose it over night.

Come on this forum and read mostly everyone here has been wonderful and supportive we understand we have had the sane fears doubts triumphs and failures. I find lots of comfort on this site.

Good luck and keep posting here. My experience was five days of pre-op Clear Liquids diet, followed by six, yes, six weeks of post op full liquid diet. Again, every doctor is different. Keep in mind, that when you hear the term "gas pains" here, they are not talking about abdominal digestive gas pains. People here are talking about a pain that is up in your left shoulder area, sometimes your neck, as I had. For me, it was relieved by someone karate chopping the back of my neck in rapid succession. They did this for me a few times a day. That, and much, much, much walking. Those will help the pain go away from the gas that is trapped inside your body cavity. Gas-X tablets did nothing for me, because it was not digestive gas.

That said, I did not have enough pain to make me regret the surgery, by any means. I am extremely thrilled with my progress so far, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I am now 11 weeks post op, I have dropped 55 pounds since my pre op regimen until now, I can walk without pain, and the list goes on and on.

In my opinion, the medical staff explains what it can, which are basically the medical procedures that they perform, and the presentations that come through their office. However, if you wish to get real life experiences, and advice, keep coming to this forum, because here is where you will hear the day to day questions and answers and experiences of real people living with the band.

One last piece of advice from me. Alex Brecher, the founder of this website, wrote a book called The Big Book of the Lap-Band. Look for it on Amazon or anywhere. I actually saw and read that book before I found this site. It will give you so much helpful and detailed information.

Welcome!

I almost forgot. One thing I do, because I would like a lot of support, is go to support group meetings in the Chicagoland area, even if they are not offered by my own hospital. I make sure that I am only going to the ones that are open to the public. The support group meetings are attended by people who are further along the road and have had the surgeries already. They are also intended to answer any questions for people considering the surgeries. Here again is where you will hear real-life stories, good and bad.

Everyone,

I'm really looking forward to my WLS. I've learned that each doctor and clinic has different ways of doing pre-op. I'm going thru a clinic in Texas. After my physical, I should have more of an idea of what I'll need to do.

I appreciate all of the advice. Will keep you all posted. Wishing everyone the greatest success.

Makingchanges4me

Just ordered the book by Alex Brecher. Yesterday I picked up a book called "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies". And am currently reading a book on Lap Band surgery from True Results. Does True Results just do the Lap Band? Has anyone had weight loss surgery thru True Results? What was your experience? Guess I'm a little concerned as I understand that you lose 40-50% of extra weight w/surgery. I'm 4'11" and weigh 170-172 lbs. I need to weigh around 100 to 105 lbs. So if I am only able to lose 35 to maybe 40 lbs in 12-24 months, I'm still very over weight. And I'm wondering about the expense and effects of surgery on body for just 35 lbs. I'm probably being concerned about nothing. Any weight loss is healthy for me. Any advice appreciated? Thanks!

I am just starting the journey. I have a physical coming up at the weight loss clinic. Then I'll be scheduled for lap band surgery. What can I expect before the surgery? Will I need to start a pre op diet? Is the surgery painful? Can the belt be felt by touching your stomach? Does it also feel like you have a foreign object inside that is attached to you? Are the refills hard to get? Have heard that it is hard for nurse to always find the port to inject w/saline. Appreciate any advice or encouragement. This is an important step in my life. I am just unsure of what happens along the way.

Thanks for any information!

What happens pre-op is usually determined by what your insurance requires. Mine did not require any pre-op counseling, just one psychological evaluation, and most require pre-op diet program, mine did not.

Pain w/surgery...The surgery was not painful for me, just uncomfortable, 3 small incisions. Mine was outpatient & I was walking around fine the next day, just groggy & tired from the surgery. The pain in my shoulders from the gas they pump into your stomach during surgery was the most painful part & lasted about a week. Use Gas-X and heat to relieve that pain.

Feeling the band/port...I did not feel my port unless I was pushing around feeling for it on my stomach. Mine is located a few inches below right ribs, about an inch off midline. As I lost weight I could feel it more and as I approached my goal weight it started to stick out a bit, but nothing gross looking. The problem I had with the port was that mine was not originally a low-profile port so it was a bit bulkier & began to hurt when I'd do abdominal exercises. Contracting my abs pushed on the port & would feel bruised. I had my port changed to a low-profile port and I've had NO problems since! I have never felt any other portion of the LapBand, other than what I just explained.

Fills…I did have a couple experiences of the doc having a hard time finding my port, but I was numb so I didn't feel any discomfort or pain. EVERY poke I ever received was SO worth it!

I am 2-1/2 yrs postop & have obtained my goal weight, so don't be discouraged by reading you might only lose 40-50% of the weight you need to lose. I lost 100% of mine & have kept it off for a year so far. With 100 pounds to lose, I too still would have been obese. I had lost the same 30-40 pounds over & over again…it was the NEXT 70 pounds I needed help with! And THAT'S what the LapBand helped me achieve! I think if you truly use the band as the tool it is suppose to be used for & make the lifestyle changes needed, which the band assists you with, you will have no problem continuing your weight loss journey and sustaining for the rest of your life! On the upside with the band vs other bariatric surgeries, if you fall back into old habits someday, you can always go back to be re-adusted and get a fill to get you under control again. The other surgeries are NOT adjustable later in life should you slide back into old habits! YAY for the LapBand!

If you are willing to make the effort and just need help, this tool is for you! It does NOT do any of the work for you. It assists you in making lifestyle changes…eating healthier, healthier smaller portions, and feeling fuller faster. You still will need to exercise and although you can eat pretty much what you want, the band helps you with portion control…eating 1-2 Cookies instead of half the bag! Good luck with your journey & feel free to message me with any other questions you have! Weight loss and fitness is now my passion & I love to help people obtain a healthy future life!

Guess I'm a little concerned as I understand that you lose 40-50% of extra weight w/surgery. I'm 4'11" and weigh 170-172 lbs. I need to weigh around 100 to 105 lbs. So if I am only able to lose 35 to maybe 40 lbs in 12-24 months, I'm still very over weight. And I'm wondering about the expense and effects of surgery on body for just 35 lbs. I'm probably being concerned about nothing. Any weight loss is healthy for me. Any advice appreciated? Thanks!

Those are averages. I lost nearly all my excess weight. I'm thisclose to a normal BMI.

Thanks for the tips and advice. I needed to hear that info.

Have a good evening.

I am a brand new member to this site. I am 56 years old and live in Colorado. I have done research for months on the different surgeries and everything keeps leading me back to the lap band. I have been to a seminar and have my first appointment on the 16th of this month with the surgeon. I have been reading the posts here on all the lap band topics and sometimes it's made my head spin:). But I do appreciate the comments made and am looking forward to this journey.