Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie with bowel issues - help?

Hello all,

I am very new to this site as you can see by my profile. I had been looking into this app/site for a few weeks prior to my surgery. The iPhone app is kind of terrible (anyone else agree?) so I've finally decided to just get on my laptop and figure it all out. I'm glad that this website exists because I really have no one to talk to about this stuff and everyone will probably just think I'm complaining anyhow.

My surgery was May 21st and to be completely honest, it's been pretty miserable for me. The surgery "wounds" were so painful and no one really warned me of how painful it could really be. I'm a pretty happy person so my family and friends thought it strange in the hospital when I was all down and not even a hint of a smile.

Let me back up by saying, I've never had surgery in my life. I have my tonsils, appendix, gall bladder, etc., which doctors and nurses were all surprised by for some reason. Anyhooooo...

Since it's the 6th day post-op, I've been feeling much better with my belly pain. However, I've had diarrhea ever since I went the first time after surgery. (I know it's gross, but I can't be the only one!?!) I also have nausea every day that comes and goes with no real pattern. My doc suggested that I try soy Protein Drinks, instead of whey Protein drinks. Thus far, it has not made a difference. I prefer my whey Protein Drink (Isopure) because it's clear so it's much easier to ingest and actually get the proper amount of protein in a day.

Does anyone have suggestions as to my possibly overly-sensitive bowels? And the nausea?

Thank you for reading!

A problem with your bowels is not uncommon.

I had problems with diarrhea for a period of time after surgery.

It your body reacting to the changes in it.

Some people get the opposite effect with their bowels.

Once I got more and more on solids my problem changed.

So don't be discouraged it will fix it self. You will become more regular.

I had my surgery at the end of April and I've had a lot of pain around the incision site on the left. Also, apparently, I pulled a stitch from moving the wrong way, so I've been prescribed additional pain meds for the healing period for that accidental injury. As of today, I'm one month out and I'm still having moments when I wonder why I did this? I know it will be worth it in the long run, but it seems there were so many things I didn't know about.

Oh, and no diarrhea for me. Just horrible Constipation that lasted for weeks. Yucky feeling!

You will get better each day. Just try to be patient. :)

Bowel issues and nausea are common. Most docs send you home with nausea pills. I had virtually no pain post-operating (thankfully) but I did have nausea off and on for almost a month after. It takes time for your body to get over the shock.of surgery.

Never had diarrhea but had (and still have) Constipation issues.

Edited by pookybear

All liquid in, all liquid out -- it's not uncommon... sorry you're struggling...

I'm 6 weeks out and still do not have regular BM. I'm not constipated. When I do go it's more like diarrhea than anything else. Doctor said be patient.

I feel so much better now. It does make sense since all I'm ingesting is liquid! Duh! I'm usually a logical person but this surgery has changed me in a lot of different ways.

I'm also glad that I'm not the only one wondering why in the world I put myself through this. I have to remember to be patient and that it is in the best interest of my health.

Thank you for everyone that replied! I really, really, REALLY appreciate it! <3

@electrify216 - I'm gonna Google that because I have no idea what it is! Thanks for the suggestion!

Your story sounds exactly like mine! Had bypass May 20th and woke up in terrible pain. Spent my two days in the hospital crying and wondering what I did to myself. Continued the regrets at home another couple days as I started having diarrhea. My doc said it was not the norm but it happens and it will get better, especially as I move to more solid food. The JP drain was a big part of my pain and after it came out I felt a lot better. I just got clearance for full liquids and the diarrhea is already better. So hand in there. I've lost 20 lbs since the pre op diet and surgery. Now that I'm through the worst I'm starting to get excited about the new me!

I had surgery May 23 and I also have bouts of nausea off and on with no pattern and diarrhea. It so sucks. I have not really been able to eat anything. I continue to drink fluids and each day try a bite or two from the list I was given by my dietician. I feel like I should be farther along in my food consumption. Oh we'll one day at a time I guess.

Your story sounds exactly like mine! Had bypass May 20th and woke up in terrible pain. Spent my two days in the hospital crying and wondering what I did to myself. Continued the regrets at home another couple days as I started having diarrhea. My doc said it was not the norm but it happens and it will get better, especially as I move to more solid food. The JP drain was a big part of my pain and after it came out I felt a lot better. I just got clearance for full liquids and the diarrhea is already better. So hand in there. I've lost 20 lbs since the pre op diet and surgery. Now that I'm through the worst I'm starting to get excited about the new me!

I had surgery May 23 and I also have bouts of nausea off and on with no pattern and diarrhea. It so sucks. I have not really been able to eat anything. I continue to drink fluids and each day try a bite or two from the list I was given by my dietician. I feel like I should be farther along in my food consumption. Oh we'll one day at a time I guess.

I am so glad I'm not the only one. It seems like more people are constipated and have little to no pain. I just don't get it! @@butterflyinwaiting - this whole surgery has played on my emotions greatly. I've just been crying whenever I don't know what to do or feel defeated. Partly because I stopped taking a certain med but also because it just has been such a challenge and I know I'm not getting enough Protein.

We must be patient and strong, right?!

I am pre-op and soaking in all the great info I find on this site. For those of you experienced loose bowels, how did you deal with this all the time in the real world i.e. work?

@ - I'm hoping the doc will have a suggestion for me tomorrow when I see him. Not only work but what about if you are at the grocery store and it hits you? If you are out when there's no bathroom around? It's scary. I'll post when I find out what he says.

Edited by ladykatie_

I am 1 year post-op on RNY gastric bypass. After surgery, I had a problem with diarrhea. One of the natural cures for my body that inhibits diarrhea is bananas. It took me a little while to figure out that I became lactose intolerant after surgery. So I cut out all milk products and the problem went away.

Several months later my lactose intolerance went away and I was able to consume milk products without a problem.

A few months later, I encountered very, very severe problems with Constipation. In the end I stumbled onto a natural cure which is apples but it is important to also consume the skin of the apple.

Eventually things will get better. It took me 6 months to reach my happy state and I have been in a happy state ever since.