Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band removal, RNY scheduled for 06/30/14

Hello,

I may as well say I am new here.

Did not visit or participate much when I had the lap-band on 06/28/11.

Have had a hard time with the lap-band. Did loose 40 lb's, even though I never got above a 5ml fill. Had a lot of problems with GERD and had to stay below 5ml's.

Now I have damage to my esophagus and the insurance approved a revision, so here I go.

The RNY has always scared me, and that is why I did not have it done the first time. But, here I go, having it done now.

I am looking for advise on how to handle all the changes that are heading my way, and how to get my husband and sons to understand what it will be like. After all this time, my husband still can't remember why I can't drink with my meal.

So, I look forward to this new journey.

Don't be afraid! I know it's major surgery and there may be some pain, but there may not be as much pain. They often do the surgery laproscopically now, making your surgery sites easier and faster to heal. The hardest part will indeed be the diet adjustment. You will need tons of Water and tons of Protein (as you probably know). Getting those two things in every day has been the biggest struggle for me. I have the Water down but the Protein is still an issue.

When is your surgery date?

Hi Ladykatie,

Looks like you are just getting started on your journey, and doing great!! Thank you for writing.

My surgery is scheduled for June 30. I go for all my pre-op (dietician, surgeon visit, hospital) on 6/17.

I don't think I'm scared of the surgery. I have seen really good results with this procedure and some really BAD ones. That is why I did not have it done 3 years ago and opted for the lap-band. But, life has a way of changing our minds and our journeys.

I love drinking Water all the time, so I know that will be different since the rate of consumption is so much slower. I hope it will all work out for the best.

I love Water as well! But now I can't take big drinks or chug it, just little sips every couple minutes or so. That's why I haven't had issues getting Water in. It's the protein! Makes me incredibly full or nauseous. I hope that doesn't happen to you. Try a bunch of Protein drinks/products before your surgery to find something you like. I hear Premier Protein is really good for a grab and go shake. I haven't had it yet. Right now I'm trying to get a lot of Protein in a small amount of liquid (less than 8oz). it's still very hard.

Just some thoughts I was having today! I hope it helps you.

Hi Ladykatie,

Looks like you are just getting started on your journey, and doing great!! Thank you for writing.

My surgery is scheduled for June 30. I go for all my pre-op (dietician, surgeon visit, hospital) on 6/17.

I don't think I'm scared of the surgery. I have seen really good results with this procedure and some really BAD ones. That is why I did not have it done 3 years ago and opted for the lap-band. But, life has a way of changing our minds and our journeys.

I love drinking Water all the time, so I know that will be different since the rate of consumption is so much slower. I hope it will all work out for the best.

JMAW,

every body's experience is different. It is impossible to know what and how are you going to tolerate food or even Water after your surgery. But you should know that there are loads of us who breezed through this, I am 6 weeks out and I can drink the same way I did before my bypass. I can eat what ever I want, I have no dumping and I tolerate every food - it is only the portion size that changed dramatically! :) So cheer up, do not worry, all will be fine. (I must add I did not have the lap-band)

@@green*eyed*girl - You are so lucky and I'm jealous. lol.

Green*eyed*girl.

Don't be jealous!!

All journeys are different, regardless of what it is an individual undertakes. You are doing very well also.

I am ready for this new challenge.

@@ladykatie_ please do not be jealous, it's not all fun and games trust me. For 5 weeks I had no restriction and because I feel hungry in every 3 hours I was eating more then what I should have. I only started to feel the restriction about 2 weeks ago, and now I am able to DIET, yes I have to diet, watch what I eat and count calories coz I could eat more then what I actually do. It's hard work, the only thing that changed is less food fills me up, my hunger is not as bad as before surgery and my digestion is different now. Sometimes I wish I would feel disgusted when I look at food :D but I still love to eat and enjoy my meal, so it makes it that much harder to actually lose weight. It is going to be a hell of a ride ;)

@@ladykatie_ please do not be jealous, it's not all fun and games trust me. For 5 weeks I had no restriction and because I feel hungry in every 3 hours I was eating more then what I should have. I only started to feel the restriction about 2 weeks ago, and now I am able to DIET, yes I have to diet, watch what I eat and count calories coz I could eat more then what I actually do. It's hard work, the only thing that changed is less food fills me up, my hunger is not as bad as before surgery and my digestion is different now. Sometimes I wish I would feel disgusted when I look at food :D but I still love to eat and enjoy my meal, so it makes it that much harder to actually lose weight. It is going to be a hell of a ride ;)

It's crazy how different everyone reacts to the surgeries. What happens to me is I'll get nauseous for like 30 minutes and then I'll "feel" hungry. LOL. It's so strange. I'm still trying to gauge hunger vs. nausea vs. stomach pain. Sometimes I just have no idea what I'm feeling at all except terrible or tired. Do you have any particular cravings? I feel like I only crave savory foods instead of sweets now. Which is the opposite of what I used to be.

I'm sure I will encounter many challenges along the way.

Today I got a call from the surgeons office today. My surgery day has been moved up to June 23. It's just a week, but I got the "shock" of reality sensation when I heard that. Oh, well.

What kind of pre-surgical prep did you have to go through? I keep hearing different information. I know I will find out on June 17Th when I go for my pre-op, just curious.

<p>I'm sure I will encounter many challenges along the way.</p> <p> </p> <p>Today I got a call from the surgeons office today. My surgery day has been moved up to June 23. It's just a week, but I got the "shock" of reality sensation when I heard that. Oh, well.</p> <p> </p> <p>What kind of pre-surgical prep did you have to go through? I keep hearing different information. I know I will find out on June 17Th when I go for my pre-op, just curious.</p>

Hi JMAW, your story sounds exactly like mine. I had the same problems with my band. I did get up to 6.25mls in Fluid. It was probably to much. Anyway I'm scheduled for my revision to bypass on June 11th. My pre-op prep was not to bad I had to do EGD, ultrasound of gallbladder, lab work, EKG and a pre-op class with NUT, now I'm on a 2 wk liquid diet. That's it until next wed. I haven't gotten nervous yet but I'm sure I will. Good Luck on your new journey.

I'm sure I will encounter many challenges along the way.

Today I got a call from the surgeons office today. My surgery day has been moved up to June 23. It's just a week, but I got the "shock" of reality sensation when I heard that. Oh, well.

What kind of pre-surgical prep did you have to go through? I keep hearing different information. I know I will find out on June 17Th when I go for my pre-op, just curious.

Everyone's surgeon is different. I think some helpful advice would be to not "stock up" on any particular product because your tastes will probably change and you'll get sick of things fairly easily. I wish someone had told me that!

Your doctor may put you on a pre-op diet. My suggestion there would be to follow exactly what your doctor says to do. Pretty much always. Read the materials he or she gives you (my surgeon gave me a binder with everything I needed) and make sure to write down any questions you have for him or her. I had a bunch of questions that I had written down.

Other than that, don't be nervous! RNY is the most common weight loss surgery out there. I'm sure your surgeon has performed thousands of them! Many people are successful with this surgery and the people who are not, well, we know what they are doing wrong. So keep your head up, just focus on the upcoming journey and best of luck!

OK. I'm back and I still have not had my surgery. My endocrinologist did not clear me for surgery. He is concerned that my glucose readings are WAY to high for a safe procedure/anesthesia.

Frustrating, yes, but I don't want to not make it out of surgery.

So I am trying to eat better and avoid carbs in a attempt to lower my readings. I am on an insulin pump, so getting "shots" is a lot easier than before. But, at this time I am having to test every 2 hours in an attempt to keep my readings lower. It still does not always work. But, I will not give up.

I hope that all that had surgery scheduled went without a hitch and that you are on your journey. I will be there with you soon. :) :D